Christain Bale Batman

Not my Batman
    Kelly Jones' Batman
    Batman Beyond
    Batman TAS
    Batman Adam West
    Batman George Clooney

Quote Originally Posted by t hedge coke View Post
    He drew blood punching Nightwing, once, for the serious crime of saying he and others also cared that Gordon was shot.
    That's being an emotionally repressed dick - but it's not anything to do with him lacking compassion and empathy.

And, there have been a few stories, at least, where he's so "superhero" that he doesn't seem to care about people who just died as much as he does his special supervillain.
    I've never seen him not caring - but often there are more pressing matters than mourning the dead.

BANNED

I feel like they give Batman too much of this military type aspect and characterization these days. They give him this huge motorcross chunky armor, and he just seems too military inspired. I guess the comics are fine but I mean the Arkham games and sometimes Frank Miller's characterization is too gruff and serious as well even though there's validity and I enjoy his interpenetration on the character I think he over does it a little bit at tines in general, like with his "All Star" take on the character, lol that was funny "I'm the god damn batman" and then this Batman is always in a hurry it feels to torture his foes or anyone who stands in his way. Batman the torturer...? They did it with the new Matt Reeves films as well, while the armor is cool it looks a little strange seeing Batman wear such huge shoulder pads and gauntlets with arrows on them or something and I think they might have overdid the grunginess though it's an interesting tone I suppose.

I really liked Batman 100 years, that was a really novel take on the character.
    Last edited by RisingForce; 05-05-2020 at 01:31 PM.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Mace Dolex View Post
    My Batman
    O'Neil/Adams/Englehart/Rodgers
    pre-Crisis late 70's early 80's Batman
    Miller/Mazzuchelli Batman
    early 90's
    Christain Bale Batman

Not my Batman
    Kelly Jones' Batman
    Batman Beyond
    Batman TAS
    Batman Adam West
    Batman George Clooney
    I know they're not considered masterpieces but the new Batman Beyond comic books are quite enjoyable I think.

Quote Originally Posted by dancj View Post
    Is he ever really written as "without the compassion and empathy"?
    I read a comic where he was trying to trying to evict an entire community of poor people that had nowhere to go. Rich people condemned their buildings because they wanted to make a rich people neighborhood out of it. Batman showed up to tell the people living there that they were breaking the law and should leave. He really didn't seem to concerned about people being forced out of their homes. He was just focused on the fact that living there made them criminals.

He drew blood punching Nightwing, once, for the serious crime of saying he and others also cared that Gordon was shot.

And, there have been a few stories, at least, where he's so "superhero" that he doesn't seem to care about people who just died as much as he does his special supervillain.

Thankfully, it really is few and far between.
    Yeah, the worst combination of Bat-quirks:
    Batman refuses to kill Human(and only Human) villains.
    Batman stands around pondering how to non-lethally incapacitate dudes while they're killing people.

It makes him look like a lunatic.

Amazing Member

The main turn offs for a batman story to me is batman using or being ok with a gun being used. While batman year two is popular and a big story its hard for me to comprehend bruce working with joe chill for any reason.

I also hate super jerk bruce. On one hand we all have our moments where we can just be super dicks and its realistic in a sense however there are moments that seem out of character extreme.

Fantastic Member Spencermalley935's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by TheDarkKnightReturns View Post
    Nolan Batman is the worst Batman ever. Period.
    Have you not seen the schumacher movies?

Fantastic Member

Dennis O’Neil Batman and every O’Neil character associated.

I feel like they give Batman too much of this military type aspect and characterization these days. They give him this huge motorcross chunky armor, and he just seems too military inspired.
    Superhero costumes in general have went down this route. I really think the old classic spandex looked a lot better. It was more dynamic in the pictures and larger than life.

I was never a fan of Synder's Batman. I wouldn't say he wasn't my Batman because I cringe at the phrase "Not my ....." but I really just didn't care for this run.

Astonishing Member mathew101281's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Alan2099 View Post
    Superhero costumes in general have went down this route. I really think the old classic spandex looked a lot better. It was more dynamic in the pictures and larger than life.
    I think it's the cinematic influence. WB and Disney probably want a rather universal look across all the mediums that their superheroes appear in, and since the spandex look comes across laughably bad in live action, it's usually the comics that have to give, and draw their heroes in a slightly more believable way. The only characters I feel don't work with armor are invulnerable heroes like Superman. if something is powerful enough to hurt Superman, I doubt armor is going to do very much.

Quote Originally Posted by mathew101281 View Post
    and draw their heroes in a slightly more believable way.
    Considering how much actors complain about how difficult the costumes are (even just to move in sometimes), I'm not at all certain that the live action versions can be called "more believable." Armor isn't very helpful if the hero can't move at more than snail's pace in it.

I like the original 1939 Batman through the 1970's Batman best. I certainly prefer some stories over others, but I think the real Batman can be found there. I'm currently enjoying both Batman and Detective as well as the White Knight series.

I dropped Batman for a while toward the end of the Gotham earthquake era.

King's Batman, definitively.

That man is just as monstrous as Bane.