Page 14 of 29 FirstFirst ... 410111213141516171824 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by dumbduck View Post
    I think Superman Returns had the perfect tone for a Superman movie. The tone and the tone alone. The problem is that Superman spent the entire movie doing a whole lot of nothing, creeping on Lois, and in the end he was humiliated by Lex and his nameless thugs.

MOS, IMO had a good story but a lifeless tone. I don't think the tone was dark. It was lifeless and depressing.

Superman has spent the last 30 years being defined by non fans of Superman. Bruce Timm, Bryan Singer, and now Zack Snyder. I can't believe it's that hard for Hollywood/Warner/DC to find someone who actually likes and gets the character and is willing to define him without meticulously limiting him so that he doesn't step on Batman's toes.
    Superman Returns would have been better if they have given him someone else to fight other than Lex again and not made him a stalker.

Incredible Member

Kevin Spacey wasn't bad ad Lex, but Routh was told to act like Christopher Reeve, while Spacey was nothing like Hackman's doofus Lex. Also Kate Bosworth was terribly miscast as Lois.

One of my main letdowns for MOS was that Metropolis didn't really have any atmosphere or personality - but that opening trailer shot of the Supe statue was more stylish than anything in MOS. I'm excited and thinking I will enjoy BVS a lot more.

Quote Originally Posted by brucekent12 View Post
    Routh was told to act like Christopher Reeve, while Spacey was nothing like Hackman's doofus Lex. .
    That's my main frustration with Returns, it doesn't know what it wants to be, it lurches between feeling like the 30s cartoon, the Reeve films, the 90s tv show and a modern Nolan style without settling on any. I love the magical atmosphere in the best parts though.

Phantom Zone Escapee manofsteel1979's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by tombo View Post
    One of my main letdowns for MOS was that Metropolis didn't really have any atmosphere or personality - but that opening trailer shot of the Supe statue was more stylish than anything in MOS. I'm excited and thinking I will enjoy BVS a lot more.

That's my main frustration with Returns, it doesn't know what it wants to be, it lurches between feeling like the 30s cartoon, the Reeve films, the 90s tv show and a modern Nolan style without settling on any. I love the magical atmosphere in the best parts though.

Yeah...that's the main issue with SR...it didn't know what it wanted to be. For all it's issues, one thing that MOS can't be faulted on is an inconsistent tone (the hiccup near the end with the drone/"he's kinda hot" scene not withstanding). It set out to be an uber-serious sci-fi incarnation of Superman, and that is what it was. for better or worse.

Fantastic Member AwesomeUsername's Avatar

So, I was just surfing the IMDB boards (I know, what was I thinking..) and I noticed someone mention that Henry has a line in the trailer. Curious enough, upon checking it I think he/she might be right. Starts at 0:36 mark in the trailer. I suppose this could be Clark saying that.

Phantom Zone Escapee manofsteel1979's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by AwesomeUsername View Post
    So, I was just surfing the IMDB boards (I know, what was I thinking..) and I noticed someone mention that Henry has a line in the trailer. Curious enough, upon checking it I think he/she might be right. Starts at 0:36 mark in the trailer. I suppose this could be Clark saying that.
    Hmm..I don't know. Doesn't sound like him unless he is somehow changing his "Clark Kent" voice to be a bit higher than his "Superman" voice. That sounds more like a young male....late teens early 20's. Jimmy Olsen, perhaps? Remember, there were rumors he was appearing in this movie.

Fantastic Member AwesomeUsername's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by manofsteel1979 View Post
    Hmm..I don't know. Doesn't sound like him unless he is somehow changing his "Clark Kent" voice to be a bit higher than his "Superman" voice. That sounds more like a young male....late teens early 20's. Jimmy Olsen, perhaps? Remember, there were rumors he was appearing in this movie.
    Could be, yeah. But I actually thought it sounded more like the real Henry Cavill, the way he normally speaks in interviews etc. Reminded me of his accent. Maybe that's just his CK voice like you said. Or maybe I'm just imagining things now because someone suggested it.

Ultimate Member Last Son of Krypton's Avatar

Default Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice - Comic-Con Trailer

watching the trailer, i have to say, I'm a bit more interested in the movie than i was previously. it certainly had a 9/11 feel to it in some parts, which i can't say I'm crazy about. Other than that;
    1) I'm still a bit confused by how Superman is being portrayed in this movie. I liked the talk he had with Martha about "Being what they need him to be", but I don't know if he can, if he should, or if he even wants to. Those Superman stormtroopers also confuse me, I'm wondering if they work for Luthor.
    2) Speaking of Luthor, I'm not sure making him younger (?) than Superman is an interesting angle. I'm intrigued by it, and I'm also a little uncertain about it. Not quite sure if this guy is going to be Superman's greatest enemy.
    3) Ben affleck as Batman comes across as jaded, and a little unwieldy. He talks about the absolute power Superman has, and how it can corrupt, but in the meantime, his Batman seems to be the thing he's preaching against. Gotham is crime free. i wonder how much of Gotham we'll see in this movie? I'm not sure what to make of jeremy Irons as Alfred; he said something in an interview recently that gave me pause, but i can't quite remember it.
    4) Not sure how Gal Godot as Wonder Woman fits into this yet, but I like what i see. Still, I wonder if there's too much going on in this movie. Is she really necessary?
    5) After watching it again, I picked up a few more nuances. One thing i would've liked to see is Superman saying something. Everyone is talking to him, at him, about him, but he doesn't say a word in the trailer. i didn't see the first movie, so I still can't get a feel for henry Cavill in the role.
    6) Still more. Zack Snyder talked about how it made sense for Gotham and metropolis to be next to each other, like Oakland and San francisco. I'd kind of like to know if Superman has ever thought about flying across the river, and taking down some of the baddies there, or why he hasn't. He knows about Batman in the trailer, but what does he think of him and his methods? I guess I'd kind of like to see a different reason for batman and Superman to cross paths, instead of the collateral damage Superman caused in the first movie.
    Last edited by protege; 07-11-2015 at 01:00 PM.

Now this was badass. Wonder Woman looks great. Alfred is in the role I'd hoped for in being wise enough to see that Superman is an ally and trying to convince Bruce as such, and the conflict between Superman and Batman appears logical and unforced even in a trailer, which gives me hope its even more nuanced in the film. And Eisenberg's Lex is awesome thus far. Conniving, antagonistic, pulling strings...and just a little bit mad.
    "They can be a great people Kal-El, they wish to be. They only lack the light to show the way. For this reason above all, their capacity for good, I have sent them you. My only son." - Jor-El

Seems like it might be true about zod becoming a version of doomsday.

Spectacular Member Virile Agitur's Avatar

i am one happy boy right now

That was actually pretty good, but my concerns are still there. I'm worried this film is also going to be unrelentingly dark. And I really wish that they teased a bit more of Act 3. Because if Act 3, the emotional crux of the movie really is Batman and Superman knocking the stuffing out of each other, I will be sorely disappointed. I can only assume that will not be the case though

Zack Snyder should not be allowed to use the Kents ever again.

BANNED

this trailer is awesome, hope the movie will be same level

BANNED

I really don't like this Luthor, I know it's just a trailer but I don't like where there taking him. His age isn't a problem (Eisenberg looks young but he's actually around the same age as Cavil). It's just when I hear Eisenberg talk hear, I don't hear Luthor, I hear a slightly broody teen. The trailer was overall really good though.