Page 3 of 29 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast
    Extraordinary Member Vanguard-01's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by MikeP View Post
    I honestly believe (or hope) that is how it will play out.

Thats why I'm not calling Batman the bad guy. He's definitely the ANTAGONIST, because he opposes Superman. But Luthor is the bad guy. Batman, I think, will be initially sided with Luthor until he realizes the true natures of each person.
    Oh, definitely.

Batman isn't the "bad guy" at all. He's a hero. Just for this movie, he may be a somewhat misguided hero. He's still doing what he believes is right.

Yeah, if we're right, then I'd expect Batman and Lex to begin the movie in an alliance. Lex manipulates Bats until The World's Greatest Detective does what he does best, and figures out who the real villain is.

Frankly, I think that'll make for an epic story.
    Though much is taken, much abides; and though
    We are not now that strength which in old days
    Moved earth and heaven, that which we are, we are,
    One equal temper of heroic hearts,
    Made weak by time and fate, but strong in will
    To strive, to seek, to find, and not to yield.

--Lord Alfred Tennyson--

Boing Boing Baggies. Baggie_Saiyan's Avatar

Yes. That scene where Alfred is talking and Bruce is staring at the bat suit could be where he realizes he was wrong about Lex and Superman.
    "Yes...Mondo Cool"- Vegeta.

It was pretty cool. I mean, not The Force Awakens cool, but has potential. As usual my thoughts and concerns pretty much echo Ascended at this point.
    "They can be a great people Kal-El, they wish to be. They only lack the light to show the way. For this reason above all, their capacity for good, I have sent them you. My only son." - Jor-El

Astonishing Member kingaliencracker's Avatar

I think it boils down to this - if you had reservations about the film, hated Man of Steel, and/or are totally against the idea of what this movie is about, you're not going to like the trailer.

If you loved Man of Steel, loved The Dark Knight Returns, love Zack Snyder, you probably loved the trailer.

I'm kind of in the middle of both of these. I really enjoyed Man of Steel and I generally feel Zack Snyder is a great director, at least visually speaking. I'm not really keen, however, on going this direction after Man of Steel. I also feel the trailer missed a great opportunity to really demonstrate the epic meeting between these two icons. Instead, we're left with a semi-cool line uttered by Batman that you have no idea how it fits within the context of what the movie is about.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by luffyq1 View Post
    After he receives a beat down and a lecture from batgod of course.

ugh.
    Quote Originally Posted by MikeP View Post
    I honestly believe (or hope) that is how it will play out.

Thats why I'm not calling Batman the bad guy. He's definitely the ANTAGONIST, because he opposes Superman. But Luthor is the bad guy. Batman, I think, will be initially sided with Luthor until he realizes the true natures of each person.

See that's not how I saw it at all. To me they are really selling the whole Batman saves the world from Superman theme.

I'm sure that Superman is more important to the film than the trailer makes it appear, but considering they threw in the "power corrupts" line this is really being promoted in this footage as a Batman movie where Superman is the antagonist.

My suspicion is that Superman will start getting up to some questionable actions that hint at him abusing his power.

If people want a realistic movie, then they are going to have to wear that it is NOT realistic for a guy to have virtual omnipotence and NOT be tempted to abuse it.

Quoting things like "But that's not Superman" just overlooks the fact that it's "not Superman" to twist Zod's head off.
    Last edited by brettc1; 04-17-2015 at 04:02 PM.
    If ten years of recording The Young and the Restless for my mother have taught me anything, it's that characters in serial dramas are always happily in love...until they're not

“The very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common. Instead of altering their views to fit the facts, they alter the facts to fit their views...which can be very uncomfortable if you happen to be one of the facts that needs altering.” - the 4th Doctor

https://youtu.be/s6UJGx8wuD0 official trailer... I see batman holding a sniper rifle.

Batman will be the antagonist so he can find out once and for all if the "alien" is truly on the side of the angels. In true Batman fashion he needs to know and probably doesn't trust anyone but himself to find out. That "do you bleed?" line is Bats playing the aggressor to see how far Superman will go.

And yes it's dark but it's always darkest before the DAWN! There are rumors that the ending is very uplifting with the creation of the League.

Plus Neil DeGrasse Tyson's voice in the trailer!

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by brettc1 View Post
    See that's not how I saw it at all. To me they are really selling the whole Batman saves the world from Superman theme.

I'm sure that Superman is more important to the film than the trailer makes it appear, but considering they threw in the "power corrupts" line this is really being promoted in this footage as a Batman movie where Superman is the antagonist.

My suspicion is that Superman will start getting up to some questionable actions that hint at him abusing his power.
    Don't be ridiculous.

Quote Originally Posted by brettc1 View Post
    If people want a realistic movie, then they are going to have to wear that it is NOT realistic for a guy to have virtual omnipotence and NOT be tempted to abuse it.
    They've said since Day 1 their idea of realism is "how would real people in the world of today react to someone like Superman actually appearing" not "what would a real Superman be like".

BANNED

Also, quite surprised they did this, but I do like the nod to Superman's immigrant symbolism with people chanting at him to "go home".

Quote Originally Posted by LoneNecromancer View Post
    Don't be ridiculous.

They've said since Day 1 their idea of realism is "how would real people in the world of today react to someone like Superman actually appearing" not "what would a real Superman be like".
    This isn't even an entirely new concept either, Morrison touched on it in his actions comics run.
    #InGunnITrust, #ZackSnyderistheBlueprint, #ReleasetheAyerCut

Time for Dissection FlashingSabre's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by kingaliencracker View Post
    I think it boils down to this - if you had reservations about the film, hated Man of Steel, and/or are totally against the idea of what this movie is about, you're not going to like the trailer
    Pretty much me. I was actually pretty hyped for the movie, but the trailer is everything I didn't want the movie to be about.
    Cyclops was right

Ultimate Member Last Son of Krypton's Avatar

I noticed that the soldiers kneeling before Superman have a S-shield on the side of their uniforms. Is Superman following the Injustice route?

I don't think this is being overly pessimistic, but I think you have more to lose from a bad trailer than you have to gain from a good trailer. With a trailer, you're supposed to put your best foot forward, and if you can't pick 60-90 seconds of good clips from the movie for your trailer, uh oh... A good trailer doesn't mean the movie will be good, but a bad trailer makes you wonder why did they use those parts of the movie; is it because there isn't anything better to put in?

Using my NFL analogy from the other thread, this trailer was like being in overtime, and you're about to watch the other team attempt a game-winning field goal. If the outcome is bad, you feel like you already lost. If the outcome is good, it doesn't guarantee you'll be happy when all is said and done, but at least you feel like you have a chance. I'm happy to say I just watched the other team kick a 40-yard field goal, and my team didn't lose! We have a chance! And that's all I want before I go to see this movie in the theatre, the feeling that I'll go in and come out satisfied because the promotional material was actually good.

Man of Steel wasn't precisely what I wanted in a movie. A fight versus Batman was definitely not what I wanted in the follow up. Nonetheless, based on the framework laid out for us in the prior movie, and the premise of this movie, I can see a silver lining. The general feel of the trailer makes me feel that there's a chance this won't be a stupid "Look everyone, Superman can't stand up to a powerless guy in a fancy suit" movie. There might actually be a good reason for them to clash.

We're well beyond the point of wishing some decision in the past could've been better. I'm just satisfied that until more info comes out, I can say I'm a smidge more optimistic about this movie than I was two days ago.

Quote Originally Posted by Last Son of Krypton View Post
    I noticed that the soldiers kneeling before Superman have a S-shield on the side of their uniforms. Is Superman following the Injustice route?
    I hope not! That's all we would need.

where they filmed that one movie and half of that other one

Quote Originally Posted by SSJett View Post
    https://youtu.be/s6UJGx8wuD0 official trailer... I see batman holding a sniper rifle.
    That's likely from the Miller influence... he used a ton of gadgets that looked like guns but weren't really gun guns such as a rifle that shot out a tightrope in Returns, all while extolling the virtues of not using guns to impressionable hooligan youth.