Page 6 of 29 FirstFirst ... 234567891016 ... LastLast
    Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Vanguard-01 View Post
    There is nothing to support he's the antagonist. The world is viewing him antagonistically. So is Batman.

Typically, the hero being singled out by everyone else in the story is the protagonist.
    Sure, if they are actually acting proactively.

But this trailer is all about how Batman is acting proactively in response to Superman. It's like "Here is this Super-threat that Batman must deal with."

Another trailer might focus more on the way Superman see's things, but that is how I see this one.

Quote Originally Posted by MikeP View Post
    You know, I think you are right. Alfred can see Bruce turning into Luthor, and that would really concern him.
    Which again is putting the focus on Batman.
    If ten years of recording The Young and the Restless for my mother have taught me anything, it's that characters in serial dramas are always happily in love...until they're not

“The very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common. Instead of altering their views to fit the facts, they alter the facts to fit their views...which can be very uncomfortable if you happen to be one of the facts that needs altering.” - the 4th Doctor

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by ImprobableQuestion View Post
    I think that's Alfred admonishing Bruce about persuing Superman, likely using Luthor or other extreme anti-Superman sides as an example.

I think it would be neat if the second trailer is mirrored to Supes' POV. Open with a descending pan through Gotham City set to various pundits arguing about the activities of "the Batman," then a brief voiceover from Lois paraphrasing Alfred, then cut to Superman staring down at armored Batman, end on a one liner.
    If that one liner was "We're as human as we want to be" that would be pretty cool
    If ten years of recording The Young and the Restless for my mother have taught me anything, it's that characters in serial dramas are always happily in love...until they're not

“The very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common. Instead of altering their views to fit the facts, they alter the facts to fit their views...which can be very uncomfortable if you happen to be one of the facts that needs altering.” - the 4th Doctor

BANNED

I see theyre still going with the whole "Superman is god" shtick.

What a perfect way to make Superman uninteresting and quite boring. How about a Superman with personality for once?

Extraordinary Member Vanguard-01's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Cypher View Post

What a perfect way to make Superman uninteresting and quite boring. How about a Superman with personality for once?
    He had plenty of personality in MOS. I expect that to continue.

And, nope. They're doing the "Some people are confusing Superman for a god" shtick. Which is a shtick that has existed since, at least the Bronze Age, if not the Silver Age. It seems perfectly obvious that Superman doesn't want to be worshipped. He just needs to figure out how to get that through to people.
    Though much is taken, much abides; and though
    We are not now that strength which in old days
    Moved earth and heaven, that which we are, we are,
    One equal temper of heroic hearts,
    Made weak by time and fate, but strong in will
    To strive, to seek, to find, and not to yield.

--Lord Alfred Tennyson--

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by brettc1 View Post
    If that one liner was "We're as human as we want to be" that would be pretty cool
    so they make out

Quote Originally Posted by Cypher View Post

Zack Snyder does a lot of things well as a filmmaker... giving characters personalities is not one of those things.

Anyways, I think this is a good trailer, but not one to my taste. I understand that there is a need for conflict in storytelling and it takes a lot more for light storytelling to be done in a compelling way. But this trailer just looks unrelentingly dark and joyless. Two of the issues I had with Man of Steel. Seeing Superman & Batman share a screen for the first time in live action should be triumphant, but while it may get there, it doesn't look like it's going to start there. Oh well, this movie probably isn't being made with me in mind. But that's okay.

Saw the teaser. It did absolutely nothing for me. I have zero confidence in this movie. Zach Snyder, with his super-muscled-constipated portrait of Superman, will bring down our beloved character to a whole new indecorous level.

All my hopes are with the Supergirl TV show.
    Last edited by Charlus; 04-18-2015 at 10:04 AM.

The Fastest Post Alive! Buried Alien's Avatar

I'm intrigued.

The most disturbing scene so far is the one of the people bowing before Superman. It's very brief and we don't really get to see Superman's facial expression, but his body language suggests he doesn't find this unusual (must have been happening for some time). I wonder what his state of mind is...he must find it disturbing.

Buried Alien (The Fastest Post Alive!)
    Last edited by Buried Alien; 04-18-2015 at 09:01 PM.
    Buried Alien - THE FASTEST POST ALIVE!

First CBR Appearance (Historical): November, 1996

First CBR Appearance (Modern): April, 2014

Ultimate Member

The fact that he doesn't find it unusual doesn't mean that he LIKES it. His goal, or at least Jor-el's goal for him, was to inspire people. But I doubt that this is what either of them had in mind. It's also a callback to the "bus scene" in MOS. He uses his powers to save the school bus, and then some of the people in Smallville start thinking that he was "sent from God" or something.

Anyway I'm intrigued. Which is what a teaser is ultimately there for, to tease.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by MikeP View Post
    The title pretty much spells it out, which is why they use it in the legal sense. Batman is bringing a case or complaint against Superman. Batman is the complainant/plaintiff. Superman is the defendant.

I don't know why this is a debate; the result is a forgone conclusion. We know this will end with the foundation of the Justice League, which means Superman will prove to Batman that he is in the right.
    Yeah and people bring frivolous lawsuits all the time. If Batman is doing this because of a MISTAKEN belief that Superman is a threat, and is teaming up with Lex Luthor (who's probably manipulating everyone), then he's definitely the antagonist. He's acting aggressively while under a false assumption.

To me, all that trailer did was set up the reason behind the title.

Why is it Batman versus Superman? Because humanity does not understand Superman and views him as a threat, and Batman represents humanity.

The big question is - how much of this is Luthor's manipulation? How much of 'Superman is a god' is Clark's doing versus the media versus media manipulation by a master super villain.

It's the first trailer for a film that's not coming out for a year. We ain't seen nothin' yet, and I hope folks don't throw their hands up in despair and declare they won't see the movie based on this.

Similarly, when I saw the first Avengers 2 trailer, it left me cold. It came across as so boring and generic, essentially looking like Avengers 1 + lots of angst + explosions that I wasn't interested. As more and more came out, tho', they got my attention again and now I can't wait.

BvS trailer is a taste and an intriguing premise that we just don't know enough about, imo, to jump to conclusions.

Ultimate Member

Well I imagine that PART of it is what happened with Zod and co in MOS. A group of Kryptonians showed up out of nowhere and tried to destroy the world (and blew up a chunk of Metropolis in the process). Then they revealed that this god-like being has been hiding amongst humanity for decades, and people don't know quite how to react. There's always that thought in the back of your head "yeah he SEEMS like a good guy, and he's doing good work NOW. But IF he ever decides that he wants to take over, there's no way that we could stop him." The US Military getting their asses handed to them repeatedly by Zod, Faora, and the rest already proved that fact. Add in Lex Luthor manipulating people and (probably) stoking those fears, and Batman's usual MO of "be suspicious of EVERYTHING and EVERYONE until proven wrong," and there's your recipe for conflict.

I'm curious to see what role WW plays in all of this. Does she come down on one side or another, or is she going to play diplomat/peacemaker?

Extraordinary Member Vanguard-01's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Punisher007 View Post
    Well I imagine that PART of it is what happened with Zod and co in MOS. A group of Kryptonians showed up out of nowhere and tried to destroy the world (and blew up a chunk of Metropolis in the process). Then they revealed that this god-like being has been hiding amongst humanity for decades, and people don't know quite how to react. There's always that thought in the back of your head "yeah he SEEMS like a good guy, and he's doing good work NOW. But IF he ever decides that he wants to take over, there's no way that we could stop him." The US Military getting their asses handed to them repeatedly by Zod, Faora, and the rest already proved that fact. Add in Lex Luthor manipulating people and (probably) stoking those fears, and Batman's usual MO of "be suspicious of EVERYTHING and EVERYONE until proven wrong," and there's your recipe for conflict.

I'm curious to see what role WW plays in all of this. Does she come down on one side or another, or is she going to play diplomat/peacemaker?
    I'm thinking Diana will at least play a role in ending the conflict between Supes and Bats. She may not be the exclusive reason it ends, but I think she'll play a role. It might be as simple as having her show up with evidence of Luthor's nefarious activities. We know she's supposed to be infiltrating Lexcorp. Maybe she's the one who shows Bruce that he's being duped.

I very much doubt she'll come down on one side or the other. If she does, then I don't see how this conflict can continue. She would shift the balance of power too far in favor of which side she takes. Batman can't possibly fight Diana AND Clark. Likewise, Superman will be hard-pressed to fight off both Diana and Bruce.

Nah. One way or the other, I imagine Diana will be instrumental in getting Clark and Bruce to work together.
    Though much is taken, much abides; and though
    We are not now that strength which in old days
    Moved earth and heaven, that which we are, we are,
    One equal temper of heroic hearts,
    Made weak by time and fate, but strong in will
    To strive, to seek, to find, and not to yield.

--Lord Alfred Tennyson--

Writing on the wall The Celtic Batman's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Vanguard-01 View Post
    I'm thinking Diana will at least play a role in ending the conflict between Supes and Bats. She may not be the exclusive reason it ends, but I think she'll play a role. It might be as simple as having her show up with evidence of Luthor's nefarious activities. We know she's supposed to be infiltrating Lexcorp. Maybe she's the one who shows Bruce that he's being duped.

I very much doubt she'll come down on one side or the other. If she does, then I don't see how this conflict can continue. She would shift the balance of power too far in favor of which side she takes. Batman can't possibly fight Diana AND Clark. Likewise, Superman will be hard-pressed to fight off both Diana and Bruce.

Nah. One way or the other, I imagine Diana will be instrumental in getting Clark and Bruce to work together.
    Yep. Sounds like a solid bet to me! :-)
    We're all the Doom Patrol!!!
    Opinions come in all shapes and sizes.
    But they're still just opinions yo

Maybe the film ends with Superman becoming Robin!