Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Always Rakzo

Default Convergence: Superboy #1 Spoilers/Discussion

This was fun overall, Nicieza's take was precise.

Slightly different to the actual Pre-Zero Hour Kon (he didn't have the vision powers back then).

How the heck did Red Robin get into the city so darn quickly? (Sure, Flash could have dropped him off but, still, really? Dang..)

The whole 'surrender and save two cities...it's what Superman would do' thing...how does that work when you've initiated an attack on someone in the first place?

(I'm being too critical these days, aren't I?)

THE MARK OF MY DIGNITY Superlad93's Avatar

Loved it! Pretty much all I wanted from the character in the comics from personality to powers. He seems to be a sort of amalgamation of the 90's Kon and Johns' Superboy. He seems to genetically be a Kryptonian, and also looks to have their powers along with the addition of TK. Perfect. Clean. Simple. Fun. Oh and that swaggering attitude at the very end "lets find out!" Yes! I'm so in for issue two.

I truly hope the new 52 Superboy will take notes.

Father Son Kamehameha < Kuwagaton's Avatar

Even for a single issue of a two parter, it felt brief. I guess I just really wanna see the character put to more use. Fabian if you read this I'm begging you to get more work with the real Kon.

All-New Member

Quote Originally Posted by Kuwagaton View Post
    Even for a single issue of a two parter, it felt brief. I guess I just really wanna see the character put to more use. Fabian if you read this I'm begging you to get more work with the real Kon.
    Thanks, but it doesn't work that way.

You have to tell the editors at DC that you want me to do something, and if enough people voiced similar opinions, then they might wise up and offer me more work!

:-)

- fabian

Quote Originally Posted by FabianNicieza View Post

You have to tell the editors at DC that you want me to do something, and if enough people voiced similar opinions, then they might wise up and offer me more work!

- fabian
    Ha, of course not, but I'll be saying the same thing when AoA drops I'm sure. So I'll see if anyone listens. DC seems a little harder to reach as a fan. But thanks for stopping in and taking on these comics!

Phantom Zone Escapee manofsteel1979's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by FabianNicieza View Post

- fabian
    Hello Fabian, just wanted to say I enjoyed your work on this and your other brief turns in the Superman universe. I am a fan going back to your X-men work back in the day. Don't be a stranger!

Astonishing Member Dispenser Of Truth's Avatar

Okay, this one I quite enjoyed. I liked that it justified in-text why he has the full range of powers without spelling it out for us, and I liked the setup with the fight with the Kingdom Come characters--I was worried how that would come off, as with the New 52 so often embracing the 90s worst excesses, having a huge part of the event be the 90s literally beat up the main story denouncing them could have gone real, real wrong. Instead, it seems like this is rooted in real issues with the character of the Kingdom Come Superman. I can honestly say this is the first issue of the event I'm really excitedly looking forward to the next chapter of.
    Buh-bye

Astonishing Member

Oh man, can't believe how much I've missed this kid. Going to have to pick this up.

Real shame there's no Convergence: Young Justice one shot.

BANNED

I'm glad DC went with a loose time way of using these characters having SB already having kon-el aas his name which happpeNed a very longtime after zero this aallows us to get more of the good stuff we want,and not stuck with just the limited stuff from a cretain time frame.

I also liked that Fabian made him aa over confident kid,bbut one that can actually back it up.

Even with 10 months of extra solar absorption tests on him,and all his kryptonian powers,i still don't see how kon is any match for KC superman,maybe his TTK grows to a insane level.

This kon better be a survivor of this storyline,llike wally west better be

DARKSEID LAUGHS... Crazy Diamond's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by adkal View Post
    Slightly different to the actual Pre-Zero Hour Kon (he didn't have the vision powers back then).

How the heck did Red Robin get into the city so darn quickly? (Sure, Flash could have dropped him off but, still, really? Dang..)

The whole 'surrender and save two cities...it's what Superman would do' thing...how does that work when you've initiated an attack on someone in the first place?

(I'm being too critical these days, aren't I?)
    No, that's just having standards. Nothing wrong with that.

For some reason, Kon-El didn't seem to be very energetic in this issue compared to how he was in his own title. It felt watered down. Wish I had saved my money...

It was totally a set up, but that's largely a crossover thing vs a snag with the issue at hand

BANNED

Pretty creepy how well Superboy can fit in this current generation.

Even the hair, its a popular thing now. Nothing really needs to be changed. DC, why arent you taking notes?

*Cough*I'd like Nicieza to write more Cable stories but thats just me*cough*

BANNED

Here is a kid thinking he will be the greatest hero on earth,then in a deep depression for a entire year,I can feel for him.

I admit to liking a lot about the new kon we have,but this one was my SB since 1993 so I hope he makes it out with wally.

And as a "every" kon fan I wish they would get on the same page with his origin,ppowers,aattitude and look,hhopefully going forward they do that

It's possible the constant bathing in sunlight led to Superboy having powers he only later would've gained otherwise, so that continuity confusion doesn't really bother me.

What I do find curious is that the opponents of the Pre-Zero Hour Metropolis were sent to that city. As soon as the announcement is made, powers are restored, and the dome drops, the Kingdom Come team appears, already knowing they have to take out Superboy. Why doesn't Superboy know he has to fight them? Why is this a surprise? And since the JLI are also fighting Kingdom Come characters, why isn't the whole group working together?

So, I'm less concerned with the continuity of the character and more concerned with the consistency of the story.