Page 10 of 324 FirstFirst ... 678910111213142060110 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by weezer17 View Post
    Any thoughts on DD #9?
    The dude at my LCS forgot to put this in my box

I need this arc to be great the relaunch is yet to wow me.

Quote Originally Posted by Punisher007 View Post
    Jeff Lemire would be a cool choice as well (though he's going to be busy on Hawkeye now). As for an artist, Marco Checchetto would be a great artist for DD imo.
    I want to see what Jason Aaron or Nathan Edmondson could do with Daredevil. Checchetto was on DD when Diggle was on the book IIRC.
    We need better comics

so what has Matt/DD been doing in San Francisco? is he still practicing law? what does SF know about his history?

BANNED

DeKnight said on Twitter that Bullseye won't show up in the first season.

Quote Originally Posted by SpiderByte View Post
    DeKnight said on Twitter that Bullseye won't show up in the first season.
    That sucks, he's my favorite Daredevil villain.
    We need better comics

Quote Originally Posted by Hypestyle View Post
    so what has Matt/DD been doing in San Francisco? is he still practicing law? what does SF know about his history?
    He's practicing law there with his new firm partner/gf (?) because he was exiled from Hell's Kitchen and was banned from law practice there. From what I understand only a few people know that he's DD (correct me if I'm wrong guys)

Really sad to see Waid and Samnee's run coming to an end. This book has been the most enjoyable and consistent book for the last 4 years.
    "Dear World: the nation of mutantkind is watching you. Do not #$%& with us." -Cable-

What can you say about the current run guys? In my opinion the writing is still great even though it may not be greater or up to par with the past runs. Specially comparing it to BMD's run. But the story seems to head to the darker and grittier side again. Also, I don't dig the retro art that much. I miss the times where the art was more detailed and dark. For me having DD on bright, pop-inspired color gives him a " happy go lucky" type of appeal. I always view DD as Marvel's Batman. All of these are my personal opinions on the current run.I would like to know what you guys think.

Invincible Member

Quote Originally Posted by darokg420 View Post
    What can you say about the current run guys? In my opinion the writing is still great even though it may not be greater or up to par with the past runs. Specially comparing it to BMD's run. But the story seems to head to the darker and grittier side again. Also, I don't dig the retro art that much. I miss the times where the art was more detailed and dark. For me having DD on bright, pop-inspired color gives him a " happy go lucky" type of appeal. I always view DD as Marvel's Batman. All of these are my personal opinions on the current run.I would like to know what you guys think.
    I think current run is a breath of fresh air. I like the classic Miller run on DD and some of the Bendis run, I also like some of the issues that Denny O Neil did right after the first Miller run in the 80's. But seems that when some writers go dark with DD, it seems like they're living in the shadow of MIller.

It's funny that back in the 60's, although Gene Colon was doing dark and moody expressionistic art, Stan Lee was writing the comic as extremely campy. In a lot of ways DD was Spiderman Jr before Miller and McKenzie came on board.

Quote Originally Posted by ed2962 View Post
    I think current run is a breath of fresh air. I like the classic Miller run on DD and some of the Bendis run, I also like some of the issues that Denny O Neil did right after the first Miller run in the 80's. But seems that when some writers go dark with DD, it seems like they're living in the shadow of MIller.

It's funny that back in the 60's, although Gene Colon was doing dark and moody expressionistic art, Stan Lee was writing the comic as extremely campy. In a lot of ways DD was Spiderman Jr before Miller and McKenzie came on board.
    For me, Miller's run really defined what DD needs to be..I read somewhere on this thread that the current run is ending. Any idea when?. I agree that this run gives a feeling of fresh air specially the new location which is SF. DD himself is new to the location and is gradually familiarizing himself with his new city. I guess this will become darker before the run ends.I'm really looking forward to #10 and also the tv series. Hopefully that tv series delivers.

Spectacular Member

I've personally loved every bit of Waid's run. It's definitely different, but I love it. Straight up good story telling, nice art, no stupid convoluted cross-overs and tie ins and whatnot. Just a really, really solid story through and through.

And DD #10 came out today and was, of course, awesome. Especially those first few pages.

Quote Originally Posted by darokg420 View Post
    The current run was over-rated. It was critically acclaimed because it was trendy to do so and very different from the previous DD runs. It was unnecessarily re-launched with yet another #1 (the S.F. chapter) during the middle of the run. The writing was spotty and nowhere near the same quality as Miller, Bendis or Brubaker. I'd argue it is just on par with O'Neill's brief run in the 80s (and ironically, just about as short). The retro art was also critically lauded but imo, it aped the styles of the great 60s artists (Colan, Wood, Everett) but being digital it was soul-less & the overall effect was similar to kiddie cartoons.

I know this probably sounds harsh but I'm being completely objective here as a reader of DD for 30+ years. Waid, Samnee & Rodriguez had a good run but nowhere near the instant classic status some reviewers have given it.

I'm looking forward to the change in the creative team.
    We need better comics

Amazing Member

Quote Originally Posted by banky View Post
    The current run was over-rated. It was critically acclaimed because it was trendy to do so and very different from the previous DD runs. It was unnecessarily re-launched with yet another #1 (the S.F. chapter) during the middle of the run. The writing was spotty and nowhere near the same quality as Miller, Bendis or Brubaker.
    I've read a lot of vol. 1, but not even a full issue of vol. 2 (though I'm getting around to it. I think Mark Waid is overrated as a writer, but I've enjoyed his DD run a lot. I think Samnee has spurred him to up his game.

I'd argue it is just on par with O'Neill's brief run in the 80s (and ironically, just about as short).
    I think it's significantly better than Denny O'Neil's run. But that's a matter of opinion. What isn't a matter of opinion is the length of a run. Claiming Waid's run is "just about as short" as O'Neil's is factually incorrect. O'Neil started with #194 and ended with #226. There were a handful of fill-in issues in that run. So even before the renumbering, Waid had written about 5 or 6 more issues. If Waid has a handful more issues to go, he'll end up with about twice as many issues as O'Neil. It's certainly more issues that Miller's first run.

The retro art was also critically lauded but imo, it aped the styles of the great 60s artists (Colan, Wood, Everett) but being digital it was soul-less & the overall effect was similar to kiddie cartoons.
    I don't get this either. Colan, Wood, and Everett had three distinct styles (and Everett drew exactly one issue before leaving the series). How can Samnee be simultaneously aping three different styles? That would seem to imply that those artist were aping each other. I think Samnee has his own distinct style. In the sense that comic artists exist on a stylistic continuum, I guess he's vaguely like Wally Wood. But even that is kind of a stretch. Soulless is the last thing I'd say about Samnee's art. And I have no idea what's "digital", unless you're referring to using one's digits to hold a pencil.

Quote Originally Posted by spoon View Post
    I think it's significantly better than Denny O'Neil's run. But that's a matter of opinion. What isn't a matter of opinion is the length of a run. Claiming Waid's run is "just about as short" as O'Neil's is factually incorrect. O'Neil started with #194 and ended with #226. There were a handful of fill-in issues in that run. So even before the renumbering, Waid had written about 5 or 6 more issues. If Waid has a handful more issues to go, he'll end up with about twice as many issues as O'Neil. It's certainly more issues that Miller's first run.
    If you include Miller's run including drawn issues (#158-191) plus his Born Again run and one fill-in issue the difference in number of issues is negligible. Waid is ending at #13, so he'll have a longer run than O'Neill but not TWICE as many issues. I guess the key word here which we both used is about. Regardless, it's not the number of issues but the quality. The overall writing quality from Waid and O'Neill are about the same, imo.

I don't get this either. Colan, Wood, and Everett had three distinct styles (and Everett drew exactly one issue before leaving the series). How can Samnee be simultaneously aping three different styles? That would seem to imply that those artist were aping each other. I think Samnee has his own distinct style. In the sense that comic artists exist on a stylistic continuum, I guess he's vaguely like Wally Wood. But even that is kind of a stretch. Soulless is the last thing I'd say about Samnee's art. And I have no idea what's "digital", unless you're referring to using one's digits to hold a pencil.
    Samnee & Rodriguez work on DD emulates the colorful style used by many artists from the 1960s, including Colan, Wood & Everett. The difference is Samnee & Rodriguez employ digital processes for rendering and inking which is soulless, and appears to remove any indication of the original medium (pencil). The problem with all retro comic art is it tries to emulate a period which the tools were only the pencil, ink and art board. Modern digital processes yield a cleaner, tighter line and shading effect but as I said, it mimics cartoons more than the expressionist renderings of artists like Colan, Wood etc.

I actually like the work of several modern artists including Samnee & Rodriguez but not the pop colored mess they offered on DD.