Page 12 of 324 FirstFirst ... 289101112131415162262112 ... LastLast

If you ask me what version of Daredevil I prefer, Miller/Bendis or Waid I will very quickly say the former. I have enjoyed Waid's run though. I thought it started strong and then dipped very slightly and though I'm not a fan of the art or overall tone the undercurrent of darkness has spoken to me quite a bit.

Quote Originally Posted by Daredevil is Legend View Post
    I hate Chris Samnee's art.And I don't like a lot of the witty jokes,blind puns,and some of the other corny stuff.I've read just about every Daredevil comic ever made and i've seen plenty of writers write Daredevil without going as far as Waid did with the jokes and the "i'm not Daredevil t-shirt stuff."You don't have to write DD depressed or change his personality to not write him dark.I'm just giving you my two cents.I don't come around here much because I don't wanna anger fans of this series and I have nothing positive to say about it.I love Daredevil,he's really important to my heart but Waid completely killed him for me for the last three years.
    I own every DD issue and imo this run is not corny or punnny compared to a few previous runs. The early 90's run around #301-380 was terrible for example. At least for me Waids run was just a solid non decompressed book with good story, characterization, and gorgeous artwork. And Im a huge fannof Miller and Bendis work on the book.

Waids run has been different, and I think thats why I have enjoyed it so much. That said, Im all for a new run, as long as the netflix attention doesnt take away from the quality of the book. (Like how Guardians lost all its uniqueness)
    "Dear World: the nation of mutantkind is watching you. Do not #$%& with us." -Cable-

BANNED

I've loved Waid and Samnee's run but I feel like it's probably time to pass the baton onto another team. As someone else noted, when his run is up, Waid will have been on DD for over 50 issues - that's a damn healthy run and with the Netflix series coming up, I'm sure Marvel wants a fresh new team and a new #1 to go along with it. Even though he seems to have his plate full with Wolverines, I'd be surprised if Charles Soule wasn't pegged to write DD next. It just seems like a waste to not have the lawyer who's Marvel exclusive writing DD. Soule did a brilliant job with She-Hulk and I'm sure he'd kill it on DD. If not Soule, I'm not sure who'd be a good candidate at the moment.

haha
    We need better comics

Jesus Christ, redeemer! The Whovian's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by UltimateTy View Post

haha
    That was funny. Wasn't that during the Nocenti run?
    “Now faith, hope, and love remain, and the greatest of these is love.”--1 Corinthians 13:13

“You had a dream; I have a plan”--Cyclops

“There's no point in being grown up if you can't be childish sometimes.”--The Doctor

Quote Originally Posted by Dark Knight1047 View Post
    That was funny. Wasn't that during the Nocenti run?
    Yes it was. Daredevil #254
    We need better comics

Fantastic Member

Quote Originally Posted by UltimateTy View Post

haha
    That smug little smirk on Fisk's face is golden. He knows EXACTLY what Matt's thinking.

Quote Originally Posted by Prof. Warren View Post
    I've loved Waid and Samnee's run but I feel like it's probably time to pass the baton onto another team. As someone else noted, when his run is up, Waid will have been on DD for over 50 issues - that's a damn healthy run and with the Netflix series coming up, I'm sure Marvel wants a fresh new team and a new #1 to go along with it. Even though he seems to have his plate full with Wolverines, I'd be surprised if Charles Soule wasn't pegged to write DD next. It just seems like a waste to not have the lawyer who's Marvel exclusive writing DD. Soule did a brilliant job with She-Hulk and I'm sure he'd kill it on DD. If not Soule, I'm not sure who'd be a good candidate at the moment.
    Absolutely. I've followed DD forever and enjoy Mark Waid and Chris Samnee's run with the character, but agree that Soule would be a great choice to take over if Waid moves on.

Soule writing with Francavilla or Scalera on the art would be fantastic.
    Last edited by Foggy; 12-03-2014 at 04:14 PM. Reason: spelling!

I'd love to see soule take over after Waid with chris Mooneyham on art

Lightbulb The Modern Tailor

This is the perfect doodle-bank comic book character for our modern age of capitalism-gauged risk-enabled globalization (i.e., eTrade).

When Wall Street stockbrokers go home after an entire day of daredevil investing, they go home and unwind to the Ben Affleck Hollywood (USA) adaptation of Daredevil (Marvel Comics) --- it's simply pleasing.

When I think of Daredevil (Marvel Comics), I think of urban terrorism, cyber-securities, and swimming with sharks.

All-New Member

Now what on earth is the best Marvel character of the millennium so far doing all the way back on pg. 5 of this forum? There must be some sort of mistake!

It'll be a shame to bid farewell to Mark Waid and Chris Samnee, but they're run is one I'll remember fondly. Between him, Bendis and Brubaker, 2001-onwards has been a great time for fans of the Man Without Fear. I hope whoever replaces the current team doesn't change that. They're inheriting a magnificent book and character.

Best Marvel character? One of the best fictional characters, full stop!

Daredevil fans,

I'm looking for a little help, I want to get into daredevil, but I have no idea how far to go back. From what I understand daredevil is one of the most consistently well written characters to ever exist.

So here's what I'm looking for:

Modern daredevil, nothing to old school (60s 70s 80s) is it worth going back to Kevin smith then continuing to bendis and forward from there.

Could someone help with a reading list in some sort of order.

Thanks agead

If you're looking to get started on modern Daredevil, I suppose Kevin Smith's run is the place to start as you mentioned. You can move on from there into the Bendis and Brubaker runs, which are collected in Complete Collection TPs. It's pretty straightforward.

You can probably skip the David Mack Echo arcs as they're not really relevant, unless you're interested in that character.

Andy Diggle's run would be next, which is just a couple of volumes and the Shadowland event, which I'd strongly suggest to avoid as the writing is somewhat sloppy and the art is terrible on that one.

And then we'd be on Mark Waid territory, which continues to this day.

Jesus Christ, redeemer! The Whovian's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Jameszahra View Post
    Daredevil fans,

I'm looking for a little help, I want to get into daredevil, but I have no idea how far to go back. From what I understand daredevil is one of the most consistently well written characters to ever exist.

So here's what I'm looking for:

Modern daredevil, nothing to old school (60s 70s 80s) is it worth going back to Kevin smith then continuing to bendis and forward from there.

Could someone help with a reading list in some sort of order.

Thanks agead
    -DD: Yellow #1-6
    -DD: The Man Without Fear #1-5
    -I know you said modern, but I would still highly recommend reading Miller's run. It's truly amazing. You can find the TPB's fairly cheap on Ebay and Amazon. After that:
    -Born Again story---DD v1 #227-233
    -Nocenti run DD v1 #250-291
    -DD v2 #26-119, 500-512

Happy reading!
    “Now faith, hope, and love remain, and the greatest of these is love.”--1 Corinthians 13:13

“You had a dream; I have a plan”--Cyclops

“There's no point in being grown up if you can't be childish sometimes.”--The Doctor