Page 151 of 324 FirstFirst ... 51101141147148149150151152153154155161201251 ... LastLast
Results 2,251 to 2,265 of 4858

Good read... and true. But I'll continue to do my best to enjoy Netflix's Daredevil stuff. It's basically what unlocked my reading his comics in the first place.

Thats really cool to hear. Hopefully it's done the same for others.

Extraordinary Member Mike_Murdock's Avatar

Even Christine is a fan of both seasons despite a nitpick about the ninjas. She's done a lot of work over the years exploring DD's senses. I don't think she and I agree 100% of the time, but we agree far often than we disagree. At the time watching it, I didn't think twice because there's a trope of katanas having a sort of ringing sound (usually when unsheathing) that seemed to fit in despite the different context. It also added some really cool tension when the Hand figured it out.
    Matt Murdock's cooler twin brother

I'd give the Devil benefit of law, for my own safety's sake!
    Thomas More - A Man for All Seasons

Interested in reading Daredevil? Not sure what to read next? Why not check out the Daredevil Book Club for some ideas?

Quote Originally Posted by Mike_Murdock View Post
    Even Christine is a fan of both seasons despite a nitpick about the ninjas. She's done a lot of work over the years exploring DD's senses. I don't think she and I agree 100% of the time, but we agree far often than we disagree. At the time watching it, I didn't think twice because there's a trope of katanas having a sort of ringing sound (usually when unsheathing) that seemed to fit in despite the different context. It also added some really cool tension when the Hand figured it out.
    It really would have been nice if it made any kind of sense, though!
    Last edited by Nanashi; 08-09-2017 at 06:38 PM.

By the by, the latest Defenders issue teases a character that may bring Matt to the forefront of next arc. Yay!

Quote Originally Posted by cc008 View Post
    Good read... and true. But I'll continue to do my best to enjoy Netflix's Daredevil stuff. It's basically what unlocked my reading his comics in the first place.
    You had better instigating material. I only had the crappy Daredevil and Elektra films to pique my interest in the comics. To their credit, it was the included comic documentaries that attracted me more than the movies themselves.
    Quote Originally Posted by Nanashi View Post
    By the by, the latest Defenders issue teases a character that may bring Matt to the forefront of next arc. Yay!
    I was very pleased by that appearance. I'm getting the book anyway, but knowing she's here sooner than later is nice.

First season he detected nails and things like that. There's a degree it works and a degree it's nonsense. Keep in mind the comics are very inconsistent with this, particularly when it comes to his radar sense. To me, what makes the most sense is when Matt detects "noisy" objects (either sound or smell) through containers, but his radar sense itself doesn't feel them unless they're in the open (in which case, he's capable of detective shape, etc.). I'm actually not partial to treating it like sonar, but this is an area I think it has similarities.

But there have definitely been times where he's detected still objects in the comics.

Interested in reading Daredevil? Not sure what to read next? Why not check out the Daredevil Book Club for some ideas?

Extraordinary Member Raffi Ol D'Arcy's Avatar

Daredevil was in AvX?
    Yea but in no significant capacity whatsoever. Very much way in the background IF even that.

As I did with Daredevil Vol. 1 (1964), I've been reading through the next volumes chronologically including almost all of Matt's appearances in other comics as well as reading the main Marvel events. I recently finished Vol. 2 (1998) and I am at present on Vol. 3 (2011).

I've just finished reading the AvX event in its entirety (the event OHC and the Companion OHC). The Daredevil Psylocke scuffle wasn't all that bad considering the majority of the remaining spotlighted fights were pretty badly written and were annoying at best. This one was a draw with Matt imparting Betsy with some words of wisdom as he leaves. I would say DD came out slightly on top. It is quite interesting that DD was spotlighted as he was more part of the scenery with a few one liners as Nanashi mentioned.

Where's this taken from? The art looks like Javier Rodriguez's (fantastic colourist and one of my favourite artists on Waid's run).

Btw, keep the cool DD pics coming Nanashi. Where possible, could you please also add the artists?

With regards to the Netflix series, I think the positive points outweigh the negative points. There were quite a few slightly annoying factors/inconsistencies such as his radar sense as mentioned by Mike_Murdock and others as well as his fighting skills and what they did with Ben Urich. I didn't, however, let that get to me so much. My biggest gripe was with how Stick "dealt" with the other members of the Chaste in order to protect Elektra. This was in my opinion, totally out of line with his character and I found it extremely jarring.

I also just finished watching Luke Cage (I know I know, I'm behind the times) and with the exception of a couple of episodes, I didn't enjoy it that much. Lazy story writing and should really have been done in 7-8 episodes or so. Daredevil is by far the best of the lot (I haven't yet seen Iron Fist), followed by Jessica Jones (2-3 episodes too long) and Luke Cage at the end of the pack.

Quote Originally Posted by Raffi Ol D'Arcy View Post
    As I did with Daredevil Vol. 1 (1964), I've been reading through the next volumes chronologically including almost all of Matt's appearances in other comics as well as reading the main Marvel events. I recently finished Vol. 2 (1998) and I am at present on Vol. 3 (2011).
    Any noteworthy appearances of Daredevil outside of his book during Volume 1? For purposes of the question, I'm ignoring the crossovers that also have issues in his own book since those are pretty obvious.

Any noteworthy appearances of Daredevil outside of his book during Volume 1? For purposes of the question, I'm ignoring the crossovers that also have issues in his own book since those are pretty obvious.
    From memory and quick googling, I would say the following stand out to me and are pretty relevant:

Fantastic Four (Vol. 1) #39-40 – DD and FF team up against Doctor Doom. Why this is not included in any Daredevil Collected Edition such as the DD Epic Collection Vol. 1 or DD Omnibus Vol. 1 beats me. DD and FF both play more or less equal roles in these 2 issues. I have these issues in both Best of Fantastic Four Vol. 1 OHC and the Fantastic Four Vol. 1 Omnibus.

Defenders #24-25. Daredevil and the Defenders fight the Sons of the Serpent. This is further referenced in Waid’s Daredevil run - Javier Rodriguez in one panel draws a tribute to the cover of issue #24.

Peter Parker Spectacular Spider-Man (PPSSM) #26-28. Not a spectacular story, but interesting from the perspective of issue #27 being Frank Miller’s first work on Daredevil.

The Sin-Eater/Death of Jean DeWolff storyline in PPSSM (Vol. 1) #107-110. Daredevil plays a crucial role teaming up with and “fighting” Spidey but more importantly trying to calm Spidey down from going too far in taking revenge. I initially picked up #110 but ended up acquiring The Death of Jean DeWolff PHC for the complete story.

Mavel Team-Up Annual #4 – Mega team-up of Spider-Man, Daredevil, Power Man, Iron Fist, Misty Knight, Colleen Wing and Moon Knight. The villains: Kingpin and Purple Man. Perfect for the Netflix series. Script and cover by Frank Miller. I purchased the floppy as I couldn’t find it in any DD collected edition.

Marvel Team-Up #140-141. Issue #140 is titled Spider-Man and Black Widow but Matt also appears and we all know how relevant Black Widow is to DD’s history. Issue #141 has the rare occurrence of Daredevil “beating” Spider-Man. I managed to purchase the 2 floppies before #141 shot up in price due to the first appearance of Spidey’s black costume.

In between Volume 1 (1964) and Volume 2 (1998), I also read the Nighthawk 3-issue mini-series which has Daredevil in a major co-starring role. This was in continuity and although it was mainly focused on Nighthawk, it picked up on a theme dropped by Ann Nocenti during Daredevil’s stint in hell and his confrontation with Mephisto. A pretty good story and well worth reading.

The following are of lesser importance (I would say worthwhile if you’re a big DD fan but not imperative to the regular Daredevil ongoing as far as I remember):

Avengers #190-191. DD teams up with the Avengers against the Grey Gargoyle;
    Captain America #234-236, #374-376. Daredevil teams up with Cap. In the latter issues (Streets of Poison) there are appearances by DD costars Kingpin, Black Widow, Bullseye and Typhoid Mary.
    Marvel Two-in-One #37-39;
    Marvel Team-Up #25, #56, #73 and #123. I have all these issues but they are nothing to write home about. Average stories with DD/Spidey villains such as The Unholy Trio, Electro and The Owl;
    Moon Knight #13;
    Defenders #89-91, #104-107, Giant Size#3. Daredevil teams up with the Defenders;
    ASM #287-288. The Gang-War storyline is tied up in these 2 issues with appearances by Daredevil.

There may be a few more important issues but I would have to check out my long boxes and notes when I am at home and have a spare moment. If anything else comes to mind I’ll throw in a further post.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Raffi Ol D'Arcy View Post
    Where's this taken from? The art looks like Javier Rodriguez's (fantastic colourist and one of my favourite artists on Waid's run).

Btw, keep the cool DD pics coming Nanashi. Where possible, could you please also add the artists?
    From SECRET EMPIRE #0......And Issue #8 of said Miniseries has more action involving them.

Next week, people!

Quote Originally Posted by tsaimelemoni View Post
    You had better instigating material. I only had the crappy Daredevil and Elektra films to pique my interest in the comics. To their credit, it was the included comic documentaries that attracted me more than the movies themselves.
    Haha, true. I dabbled in the Waid/Samnee run a bit before the show came out.. But then I watched the show and saw that Garney art for the book. Plus I'd had a good Deadpool experience with Soule, as you know, so I jumped on then.