Page 179 of 324 FirstFirst ... 79129169175176177178179180181182183189229279 ... LastLast
Results 2,671 to 2,685 of 4858
    Astonishing Member batnbreakfast's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by phonogram12 View Post
    Like I said, I liked the Elektra arc and I did think the way they put his secret id back in the box was pretty clever, but everything else just left me cold. I don't care for Blindspot, his new role working for the DA's office, Ten Fingers, Karnak, etc. It just doesn't have that feel that made me gravitate towards the Miller, Bendis, and Brubaker runs. It just seems like a DD title for the sake of having a DD title on the stands, tbh.

I kinda wish Rucka would give this book a go. I dug his Wolverine run back in the day, and while I didn't care for his second run on Wonder Woman, I thought his first run on Detective just post-NML was just about a pitch perfect crime series, which I think would fit DD perfectly.
    Yay, Rucka! Errrh... I can only speak for issues 01 to 20 and I kinda like Soule in a slow-burn way and just wish him being a lawyer came more through but I do wonder why Marvel with all the show's success doesn't put the biggest guns on the book. Yeah, Bendis already did his stint but what about Aaron? Scalped is awesome! He's the crime writer at Marvel and does cosmic stuff in Thor?

I kinda wish Rucka would give this book a go. I dug his Wolverine run back in the day, and while I didn't care for his second run on Wonder Woman, I thought his first run on Detective just post-NML was just about a pitch perfect crime series, which I think would fit DD perfectly.
    Do you recall what issues those were?
    Last edited by Nanashi; 10-07-2017 at 10:18 AM.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Nanashi View Post
    Yea...those series do that more that than the DD comic does at the moment. Sure.
    Well, they give me more of the Miller, Bendis, Brubaker feel that I prefer at least. I mean, I'm not hating on Soule's run for the sake of it. As I've mentioned before, I just don't care for a lot of the things he's introduced. And it's not like I dislike them because they're different, either. I mean, the Netflix version of Wilson Fisk is vastly different than the comic book version and it's both critically acclaimed and absolutely brilliant! It's just not giving me what I want out of a DD book, which is a crime/superhero book in equal parts. It leans a bit too much on the superhero side for me, which leaves it feeling a little generic, tbh.

Like I think I mentioned before, I would love it Greg Rucka would do a run on DD. His post-No Man's Land run on Detective Comics hit that perfect balance between crime and superhero leanings perfectly the same way I feel Brubaker's run did.
    Keep in mind that you have about as much chance of changing my mind as I do of changing yours.

Extraordinary Member

Do you recall what issues those were?
    They just got recollected. Here's the first collection. And here's the second.
    Keep in mind that you have about as much chance of changing my mind as I do of changing yours.

They just got recollected. Here's the first collection. And here's the second.
    Thanks, dude.

Well, they give me more of the Miller, Bendis, Brubaker feel that I prefer at least. I mean, I'm not hating on Soule's run for the sake of it. As I've mentioned before, I just don't care for a lot of the things he's introduced. And it's not like I dislike them because they're different, either. I mean, the Netflix version of Wilson Fisk is vastly different than the comic book version and it's both critically acclaimed and absolutely brilliant! It's just not giving me what I want out of a DD book, which is a crime/superhero book in equal parts. It leans a bit too much on the superhero side for me, which leaves it feeling a little generic, tbh.

Like I think I mentioned before, I would love it Greg Rucka would do a run on DD. His post-No Man's Land run on Detective Comics hit that perfect balance between crime and superhero leanings perfectly the same way I feel Brubaker's run did.
    Uh, NO. Pathetic is the best descriptor for whoever that was and whatever those behind the show were trying to do because that was not in any sense, save for visually, the Kingpin Of Crime.

I'd be all for Rucka getting a shot.
    Last edited by Nanashi; 10-07-2017 at 11:29 AM.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by batnbreakfast View Post
    Yay, Rucka! Errrh... I can only speak for issues 01 to 20 and I kinda like Soule in a slow-burn way and just wish him being a lawyer came more through but I do wonder why Marvel with all the show's success doesn't put the biggest guns on the book. Yeah, Bendis already did his stint but what about Aaron? Scalped is awesome! He's the crime writer at Marvel and does cosmic stuff in Thor?
    Rucka! Amirite?!? While I haven't read Scalped, I've heard nothing but good things about it. I'd be willing to give that one a shot. I kinda wish Andy Diggle would've been given a proper shot at DD. He was more or less working under the direction of TPTB at the time who wanted to usher in Waid's lighter run. I would love to see what he would be capable of without such restrictions, especially considering just how good his Green Arrow Year One was.

I'd like to see what Matt Fraction would be capable of as well. I always felt his Hawkeye run was very similar to Brubaker's except it was a bit more humorous and had an even more every man feel to it. I really dug Jeff Lemire's and Andrea Sorrentino's Green Arrow run, too. Sorrentino really knows how to capture his environment, regardless of whether it's an island jungle or the streets of Seattle.
    Last edited by phonogram12; 10-07-2017 at 10:45 AM.

Extraordinary Member

Uh, NO. Pathetic is best descriptor for whoever that was supposed to be because it was not in any sense, save for visually, the Kingpin Of Crime.
    Meh. The critics and the majority of the fans seem to disagree with you on that one. It was it's own version, that more or less wasn't the stoic tough guy/gangster stereotype that so many depictions of The Kingpin are. Plus, with a twists along the way, they kind of told a good chunk of Miller's original Kingpin arc beat for beat.
    Last edited by phonogram12; 10-07-2017 at 10:55 AM.

Meh. The critics and the majority of the fans seem to disagree with you on that one. It was it's own version, that more or less wasn't a stereotype that I feel so many depictions of The Kingpin are.
    They're all wrong. That was not the Kingpin. It clearly wasn't. Now, if they were to have created a new character (which is essentially what they did) and called him by a new name, that is perfectly fine. As I've said, DD could use some more rogues. But to take something already established, known, beloved, awesome, and change it unrecognizably (which is essentially what they did) is lazy and pitiful. THAT'S my problem with that character. It's not that I dislike the character himself (eh, I actually did dislike that character because he was uninteresting whose rise to power was never explained and all the more incredulous considering his irritatingly childlike demeanor and impetuous outbursts), it's that they marred an existing character by turning him into that embarrassment they have the audacity to pass off as the Kingpin when he is anything but.

Extraordinary Member

Well, the rest of the viewership will have to disagree with you on that one. I'm glad they decided to give us a more nuanced new spin on the fictional crime lord than the same old same old cliche.

But like you said, tastes can be subjective.
    Last edited by phonogram12; 10-07-2017 at 11:08 AM.

Well, the rest of the viewership will have to disagree with you on that one. I'm glad they decided to give us a more nuanced new spin on the fictional crime lord than the same old same old cliche.

But like you said, tastes can be subjective.
    Most of that viewership have no idea who the actual Kingpin is and that is a shame. They're missing out on an actual nuanced character and have to endure that prattling infantile the show "created".

Taste are subjective, yes, however, facts are not. If one likes that character that's all right, of course. But don't call him the Kingpin for he is not.
    Last edited by Nanashi; 10-07-2017 at 11:28 AM.

Niffleheim

What i don't like about the Netflix's Kingpin is his speech/voice sounds like he is barking but i still look forward to the portrayal

Rucka! Amirite?!? While I haven't read Scalped, I've heard nothing but good things about it. I'd be willing to give that one a shot. I kinda wish Andy Diggle would've been given a proper shot at DD. He was more or less working under the direction of TPTB at the time who wanted to usher in Waid's lighter run. I would love to see what he would be capable of without such restrictions, especially considering just how good his Green Arrow Year One was.

I'd like to see what Matt Fraction would be capable of as well. I always felt his Hawkeye run was very similar to Brubaker's except it was a bit more humorous and had an even more every man feel to it. I really dug Jeff Lemire's and Andrea Sorrentino's Green Arrow run, too. Sorrentino really knows how to capture his environment, regardless of whether it's an island jungle or the streets of Seattle.
    There goes an awesome team! Their Old Man Logan run was glorious and their Green Arrow run is lauded! Yea, they'd be good for a shot at DD.
    Last edited by Nanashi; 10-07-2017 at 11:33 AM.

Extraordinary Member

Most of that viewership have no idea who the actual Kingpin is and that is a shame.
    And yet many avid DD fans (myself included) still enjoyed the Netflix Kingpin immensely. Go fig.

They're missing out on an actual nuanced character and have to endure that prattling infantile the show "created".
    In the hands of certain writers, sure the comic version of The Kingpin is very nuanced. But outside of Miller, Brubaker, and Bendis, most are about as three dimensional as a flat piece of paper.

Taste are subjective, yes, however, facts are not. If one likes that character that's all right, of course. But don't call him the Kingpin for he is not.
    It's just a different version. I mean, the Guardians of the Galaxy of the comic books really don't resemble the Guardians of the Galaxy of the movies, but they're still the Guardians of the Galaxy the same way the Netflix Kingpin is still the Kingpin.
    Last edited by phonogram12; 10-07-2017 at 12:28 PM.

You and others enjoyed that character. That's nice. That does not make him the Kingpin.

That could be said for any character or property in incompetent hands.

Putting feathers in one's butt does not make them a chicken. Putting a burly, bald, childlike adult in a suit does not make him the Kingpin.
    Last edited by Nanashi; 10-07-2017 at 02:53 PM.