Page 246 of 324 FirstFirst ... 146196236242243244245246247248249250256296 ... LastLast
Results 3,676 to 3,690 of 4858
    BANNED

My ranking:

Frank Miller
    Ed Brubaker
    Brian Bendis
    Mark Waid
    Ann Nocenti

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by The Whovian View Post
    I've been disappointed with Soule's run. I'm looking forward to a fresh, new start.
    I can't wait for Soule's run to be over.

Quote Originally Posted by Nanashi View Post
    That's a shame. Soule's run is easily one of the best (so far). I'm overjoyed that it's continuing for some time.
    Agreed (obviously). In a world with constantly rotating creators, Daredevil continues to have consistent people working on the book for a good chunk of time. I love that. Hope Soule is able to continue well past this Fresh Start phase.

Quote Originally Posted by cc008 View Post
    Agreed (obviously). In a world with constantly rotating creators, Daredevil continues to have consistent people working on the book for a good chunk of time. I love that. Hope Soule is able to continue well past this Fresh Start phase.
    I agree as well! I have very much enjoyed Soule’s run and hope he stays on.

Extraordinary Member Mike_Murdock's Avatar

Writing wise, I definitely agree that the others are better. But I love Gene Colan's artwork, so I went with it at #4
    I had debated Roy Thomas and Colan. I honestly think Lee's strongest Daredevil issues were the initial burst of creativity, which was pre-Gene Colan. But Colan drastically improved the art (to me, he still has the definitive Karen Page).
    Matt Murdock's cooler twin brother

I'd give the Devil benefit of law, for my own safety's sake!
    Thomas More - A Man for All Seasons

Interested in reading Daredevil? Not sure what to read next? Why not check out the Daredevil Book Club for some ideas?

How are the DD Epic Collections? I have pretty much everything in hardcover but may need to just get those to round out my collection.

I think they're great. They have a good amount of content for the price. The quality is good. They're focusing on the less-printed runs first so they can help ensure everything is complete. They include pretty much everything. There have been a handful of instances where the fact that it's a trade paperback has disrupted a clear two-page design layout, but nothing too dramatic (although we haven't gotten to Frank Miller yet).

One nice thing about the Epic Collections is they'll eventually have everything in Volume 1 as a complete set. If you're going for Hardcover as well, you'll be splitting the difference, but that's up to you.

Interested in reading Daredevil? Not sure what to read next? Why not check out the Daredevil Book Club for some ideas?

Does anyone think Jester has the potential to be a Joker level bad guy for DD if given the Christopher Nolan Dark Knight treatment? Im surprised no one over the years has tried to revamp him in such a way given their obvious similarities in their countenance and villainous gimmicks. Worth it to try? Or would it be too plainly mirroring the Joker to be distinctive (I'm not too familiar with Jester so other than his appearance and name I don't know closely he already parallels the Joker if much)?
    Last edited by Nanashi; 03-17-2018 at 01:33 PM.

Jesus Christ, redeemer! The Whovian's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by CuteClops View Post
    I can't wait for Soule's run to be over.
    I thought maybe it was just me. Glad to know I'm not alone.
    “Now faith, hope, and love remain, and the greatest of these is love.”--1 Corinthians 13:13

“You had a dream; I have a plan”--Cyclops

“There's no point in being grown up if you can't be childish sometimes.”--The Doctor

I think it's a mistake to treat Jester as the Joker. To me, the definitive Jester story is #219. He's a scorned stage actor. He'll do joker-themed prop gadgets on occasion, but the big thing he does is fakeouts and elaborate productions and what he craves more than anything else is attention. I'm a big defender of the character, but it's important to understand what he is and what makes him tick.

He's also currently dead, fwiw. I'm not begrudging it, though, since it was one of the few interesting parts of Civil War II. It also showed that he was interesting as a reformed villain (which is also what he was in a lot of issues since #219, although I can't speak for whether he was exclusively reformed).

Jesus Christ, redeemer! The Whovian's Avatar

That's a shame. Soule's run is easily one of the best (so far). I'm overjoyed that it's continuing for some time.
    Maybe it will read better if I read it all at once in a collected edition. It's happened to me before. I will not like a series reading it monthly, but then pick up the trade and like it.
    “Now faith, hope, and love remain, and the greatest of these is love.”--1 Corinthians 13:13

“You had a dream; I have a plan”--Cyclops

“There's no point in being grown up if you can't be childish sometimes.”--The Doctor

Maybe it will read better if I read it all at once in a collected edition. It's happened to me before. I will not like a series reading it monthly, but then pick up the trade and like it.
    Interesting. I think it's one of the few series that does really well issue to issue so as not to create any desire to wait for the collected editions. I'm at least glad you're not dismissing it wholly. There's a lot to love.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike_Murdock View Post
    I think it's a mistake to treat Jester as the Joker. To me, the definitive Jester story is #219. He's a scorned stage actor. He'll do joker-themed prop gadgets on occasion, but the big thing he does is fakeouts and elaborate productions and what he craves more than anything else is attention. I'm a big defender of the character, but it's important to understand what he is and what makes him tick.

He's also currently dead, fwiw. I'm not begrudging it, though, since it was one of the few interesting parts of Civil War II. It also showed that he was interesting as a reformed villain (which is also what he was in a lot of issues since #219, although I can't speak for whether he was exclusively reformed).
    I actually missed that. Do you recall in which issue it happened? I'll try to check out #219, too. I'm curious.

Extraordinary Member Raffi Ol D'Arcy's Avatar

Does anyone think Jester has the potential to be a Joker level bad guy for DD if given the Christopher Nolan Dark Knight treatment? Im surprised no one over the years has tried to revamp him in such a way given their obvious similarities in their countenance and villainous gimmicks. Worth it to try? Or would it be too plainly mirroring the Joker to be distinctive (I'm not too familiar with Jester so other than his appearance and name I don't know closely he already parallels the Joker if much)?
    I always pictured Jester as a second rate Daredevil villain although he had his moments. He is no way near the level of deranged as Joker. He's just a down and out actor. I think it would also be too cliché to make him out to be a Marvel Joker.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike_Murdock View Post

I actually missed that. Do you recall in which issue it happened? I'll try to check out #219, too. I'm curious.
    During the Spider-Men II miniseries, Jester turns up alive and disclosed from his death.

Extraordinary Member Raffi Ol D'Arcy's Avatar

My top 5 Daredevil runs:

Frank Miller
    Denny O'Neill
    Brian Michael Bendis
    Mark Waid
    Ed Brubaker

Special mentions: Stan Lee, Joe Kelly, Roy Thomas, Charles Soule.

I would place Ed Brubaker much higher if not for the fact that he had Matt cheat on his wife which I hated and also seemed very off.