Page 322 of 324 FirstFirst ... 222272312318319320321322323324 LastLast
Results 4,816 to 4,830 of 4858
    trente-et-un/treize responsarbre's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Nanashi View Post
    No. DDs comic book outfit is not one that works in live action at all. The all black outfit was a very good compromise they should have stuck with and will thankfully return to in season three based on those set pics from some time ago.
    It wouldn't work with the tone of the Netflix show, but I actually sort of think the red leather number that Ben Affleck wore looks better than DD's current TV costume.

I'm just confused about the costume they ended up with, because it's bulky and full of visible body armor. Season 1 spent a lot of time building up the idea the of an incredibly light and thin body armor that Kingpin used in his suits, which made it seem like DD's costume was also going to be thin and maneuverable.

Quote Originally Posted by responsarbre View Post
    It wouldn't work with the tone of the Netflix show, but I actually sort of think the red leather number that Ben Affleck wore looks better than DD's current TV costume.

I'm just confused about the costume they ended up with, because it's bulky and full of visible body armor. Season 1 spent a lot of time building up the idea the of an incredibly light and thin body armor that Kingpin used in his suits, which made it seem like DD's costume was also going to be thin and maneuverable.
    Oh, yea! The outfit from the movie is definitely better than the padded armored mess from the show sans the mask. The season two mask for the show is not bad. The color of the movie outfit worked well, too. It would have been cool if they used that protective material from the Kingpins suits for the black outfit and DD would then still have a cool outfit but also some protection while still being able to move acrobatically.
    Last edited by Nanashi; 07-28-2018 at 12:14 PM.

No. DDs comic book outfit is not one that works in live action at all. The all black outfit was a very good compromise they should have stuck with and will thankfully return to in season three based on those set pics from some time ago.
    Agreed. 1010

Extraordinary Member Mike_Murdock's Avatar

The all black outfit was a very good compromise they should have stuck with and will thankfully return to in season three based on those set pics from some time ago.
    I would be livid if that's all they did. That's not Daredevil's outfit. We've come a long way since The Incredible Hulk TV movie and don't need to regress.
    Matt Murdock's cooler twin brother

I'd give the Devil benefit of law, for my own safety's sake!
    Thomas More - A Man for All Seasons

Interested in reading Daredevil? Not sure what to read next? Why not check out the Daredevil Book Club for some ideas?

Quote Originally Posted by Mike_Murdock View Post
    I would be livid if that's all they did. That's not Daredevil's outfit. We've come a long way since The Incredible Hulk TV movie and don't need to regress.
    Neither is that padded, patchy, bulky, restrictive, embarrassingly ill-designed and ill-fitting abomination they introduced in the last episode of season one. The difference is the all black outfit is actually really cool and practical, all the more so given the tone the show aims for. If anything, a nice way they could have at least given a nod to the classic red is having Melvin draw a realistic mock up (maybe even of the one worn now) to show how absurd it’d look in live action but since Matt wouldn’t know what Melvin has on the page he’d politely decline and continue with the all black NOW laced with the Kingpins armored fabric.
    Last edited by Nanashi; 07-28-2018 at 06:29 PM.

I don't disagree with his current outfit not being ideal either. I'd prefer it to be better. But I don't see how not having any attempt at a Daredevil costume (or referencing it and rejecting it) is better.

Interested in reading Daredevil? Not sure what to read next? Why not check out the Daredevil Book Club for some ideas?

I don't disagree with his current outfit not being ideal either. I'd prefer it to be better. But I don't see how not having any attempt at a Daredevil costume (or referencing it and rejecting it) is better.
    It’d better because he’d continue to look awesome in the all black and not ridiculous as he does in the show’s horrible attempt at a DD outfit. In my suggestion, the image of the show’s DD outfit that Melvin would put forth would illustrate all this aptly without having Matt actually have to wear it and look absurd. The actor would likely appreciate that, too.
    Last edited by Nanashi; 07-28-2018 at 08:26 PM.

Daredevil shouldn't be a show that mocks the looks of his outfit. That's disrespectful to the character and his fans.

Daredevil shouldn't be a show that mocks the looks of his outfit. That's disrespectful to the character and his fans.
    There’d be no such insolence to be had. My suggested scene would merely show why the show never did a more comic accurate outfit because of how absurd it would (and demonstrably does) look. Call it an Easter egg, even. They clearly don’t have the budget or, more probable, any design sense whatsoever to adapt a more comic accurate outfit to anything more than the laughable humiliation it turned out as so leave it alone and make due with what will work (the black outfit) which happens to be a better fit for the tone of the show, far more aesthetically palatable, believable, and practical (although I will maintain that the mask in season two is a vast improvement).
    Last edited by Nanashi; 07-28-2018 at 09:41 PM.

I don't accept your premise that it would look absurd if done right. I think the only reason it looks dumb is because they're afraid to make it look more like the comics costume. To me, the best superhero costume to date is Deadpool. What's Daredevil's costume if not taking Deadpool's costume without the black parts (ahem) and changing the mask?

I don't accept your premise that it would look absurd if done right. I think the only reason it looks dumb is because they're afraid to make it look more like the comics costume. To me, the best superhero costume to date is Deadpool. What's Daredevil's costume if not taking Deadpool's costume without the black parts (ahem) and changing the mask?
    DP and DDs costumes are not that similar. To start, DPs costume is more militaristic and versatile with its assortment of holsters, sheaths, straps, belt, pouches, weapons, and is two toned in red and black with a full face mask with white eyes encircled by black ovals. In addition, the red on the suit itself broken up with black colored gloves, shoulders, boots (sometimes), legs (partially, sometimes) and sides.

Comparatively, DDs suit is very plain. It’s literally an all red spandex body suit with no more to it than a single holster on the leg, the double D logo on the chest, and horns on a cowl, ALL of which is red. This look uniquely works on the page because of how light seemingly hits the costume creating its distinctive red and black look even though it’s all a solid red. This would be hard to pull off in live action where DDs constune would just look a red body suit. In live action it’s difficult to have material react to light to create the deep shades of black as on the page. DPs costume doesn’t have this problem because it’s already a designed, contrasted black and red, not a solid red with black seemingly created through how it’s hit by light. A comic accurate DD costume would look ridiculous off the page.

The movie, I must say, did the best job with the color of the suit. The really dark red that would look nearly black depending on how it’s hit by light worked really well. Or perhaps they used filters in post production to better create that effect. Whatever they did, it worked there.

On the mask, the TV show didn’t do a bad job in the second season so I can’t really criticize it as being a hard sell in live action too much when it’s improved so much over the initial design. But even its a more of a hard helmet than the fabric it is on the page and is heavily dependent on lighting or it'll otherwise look ridiculous.

So while I wouldn’t say it’s impossible to have a good DD costume in live action there would have to be quite a few liberties taken to make it work unlike Deadpools that has more versatility in its design that allows it to be adapted much more faithfully.
    Last edited by Nanashi; 07-29-2018 at 11:43 AM.

It’d be nice if Daredevil had an issue in this considering she’s his villain and all...

https://t.co/0MXczmmS7b?amp=1

I think that's precisely the point, though. Daredevil has other stories with Typhoid Mary (then again, so does Spider-Man). Iron Fist, on the other hand, is an interesting synergistic choice.

I think that's precisely the point, though. Daredevil has other stories with Typhoid Mary (then again, so does Spider-Man). Iron Fist, on the other hand, is an interesting synergistic choice.
    Correct me if I’m wrong, but Typhoid Mary hasn’t been a major antagonist since her introduction way back when. Meanwhile, the Kingpin and the Hand have been on endless rotation. It’d be nice if Typhoid Mary came back with an impact instead of the mere cameos she’s been having here and there and this story sounds like it may be that. It’s just disappointing DD won’t be apart of it or at least the “final boss”, so to speak, after all those heroes. As I’ve said before, DD has other villains besides crime lords and undead ninjas and she’d be a refreshing break from all that.
    Last edited by Nanashi; 07-30-2018 at 03:22 PM.

I think it's fair to say that, with the exception of relatively minor roles (such as her guest appearance in Hardcore), she hasn't been a main Daredevil villain since The Fall of the Kingpin. For a long time, her role was second in command and lead enforcer for the Kingpin, so she would appear in the Captain America story Streets of Poison. I think her most recent appearances were when Black Panther took over Daredevil's numbering with Black Panther: The Man Without Fear and Black Panther: The Most Dangerous Man Alive.

I'd like to see Typhoid Mary back in a Daredevil book too. That being said, I'm not sure I want a random spinoff book with Daredevil appearing in. Those books have a tendency to feel unimportant and nearly out of continuity. Ideally, if we see Typhoid, it'll be because Soule wants to write her.