Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Astonishing Member PretenderNX01's Avatar

Default If there's any George Reeves Superman fans, on May 17th CBS

CBS is going to a a special colorized episode of I Love Lucy: "Lucy Meets Superman" on Sunday, May 17 at 8pm (along with an I Love Lucy episode set in California, "LA at Last")

safe_image.jpg
    http://www.cbspressexpress.com/cbs-e.../view?id=42416

Contrary to popular rumor, the original airing did in fact credit George Reeves as the guest star (no one was worried about spoiling the fact Superman wasn't real)

But that was cut from the syndicated reruns with the "heart" opening and closing.
    Last edited by PretenderNX01; 04-17-2015 at 06:37 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by PretenderNX01 View Post
    CBS is going to a a special colorized episode of I Love Lucy: "Lucy Meets Superman" on Sunday, May 17 at 8pm (along with an I Love Lucy episode set in California, "LA at Last")

safe_image.jpg
    http://www.cbspressexpress.com/cbs-e.../view?id=42416

Contrary to popular rumor, the original airing did in fact credit George Reeves as the guest star (no one was worried about spoiling the fact Superman wasn't real)

But that was cut from the syndicated reruns with the "heart" opening and closing.
    It was so cool and real to me, at the time, some nearly 60 years ago when I first saw it - I Love Lucy one of my Dads favorite shows on Monday nights along with Talent Scouts (the forerunner of "America's Got Talent" and shows of that nature)

I haven't seen that episode in years. I'll have to try and catch the colorized version. Cool!

To this day I'm still impressed at the way he comes flying through the kitchen window.

Quote Originally Posted by Robotman View Post
    To this day I'm still impressed at the way he comes flying through the kitchen window.
    I think that, to this day, George Reeves had the best takeoffs and landings of any live action Superman because they were not CGI or special effects per se. They were him springing off a board to take off and probably holding a bar and swinging himself through a window on the landings so they looked like they were really happening. I remember one where he was standing near Lois, ran and jumped and seemed to fly off camera starting from a jump that was right next to her. For a moment, I was like, "How did they make that look so real? It was like he actually flew off camera." He sort of did. He hit the springboard and was launched off camera, presumably onto some soft padding.

Quote Originally Posted by Powerboy View Post
    I think that, to this day, George Reeves had the best takeoffs and landings of any live action Superman because they were not CGI or special effects per se. They were him springing off a board to take off and probably holding a bar and swinging himself through a window on the landings so they looked like they were really happening. I remember one where he was standing near Lois, ran and jumped and seemed to fly off camera starting from a jump that was right next to her. For a moment, I was like, "How did they make that look so real? It was like he actually flew off camera." He sort of did. He hit the springboard and was launched off camera, presumably onto some soft padding.
    Yes, I loved that kitchen entrance too
    It was so cool....

Agreed - I loved how he would run jump and take off...I practice that myself many times when I was young and he was always in the perfect flying position (legs and arms straight out) Also, how he broke through walls, was very cool
    Last edited by jimmy; 05-06-2015 at 04:33 PM.

DC/Collected Editions Mod The Darknight Detective's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by jimmy View Post
    It was so cool and real to me, at the time, some nearly 60 years ago when I first saw it - I Love Lucy one of my Dads favorite shows on Monday nights along with Talent Scouts (the forerunner of "America's Got Talent" and shows of that nature)
    I probably saw it closer to 40 years ago, but it certainly was one of the most memorable I Love Lucy episodes of them all. It also shows you how popular both Superman and George Reeves were at the time, because that show always had the biggest names in entertainment.
    A bat! That's it! It's an omen.. I'll shall become a bat!

Pre-CBR Reboot Join Date: 10-17-2010

Pre-CBR Reboot Posts: 4,362

THE CBR COMMUNITY STANDARDS & RULES ~ So... what's your excuse now?

Quote Originally Posted by The Darknight Detective View Post
    I probably saw it closer to 40 years ago, but it certainly was one of the most memorable I Love Lucy episodes of them all. It also shows you how popular both Superman and George Reeves were at the time, because that show always had the biggest names in entertainment.
    You know it amazing what you remember when you are young. I can see myself in minds eye sitting on the floor watching that episode on "kind a new at the time 1952 SEARS Silvertone BWTV set, with my Dog in his basket under the set with my Dad and Mom as "I Love Lucy was Dad's favorite - George Reeves, to me will always be Superman and you are 100 percent right that was a big deal and Lucy and Ed Sullivan (the toast of the town) owned KCBS Ed on Sunday Lucy on Monday!

You know it amazing what you remember when you are young. I can see myself in minds eye sitting on the floor watching that episode on "kind a new at the time 1952 SEARS Silvertone BWTV set, with my Dog in his basket under the set with my Dad and Mom as "I Love Lucy was Dad's favorite - George Reeves, to me will always be Superman and you are 100 percent right that was a big deal and Lucy and Ed Sullivan (the toast of the town) owned KCBS Ed on Sunday Lucy on Monday!
    I Love Lucy was my mother's favorite show when she was a kid and she still watches to this day (as do I).

When I was a kid during the early-mid '70s, my favorite afternoon block of programs after school was The Adventures of Superman, Batman, and The Lone Ranger. on WPIX. As for Ed Sullivan, I can barely recall watching his program during the late '60s and remember when he passed away.

Spectacular Member

Oh Yeah! I Do Remember Watching Mr. George Reeves As SUPERMAN, Back In The Early 1970s., Those Saturday Mornings Were Indeed Fun, And Then Later In That Decade Of The 70s And In The Early 80s Came BATMAN & ROBIN From 1960s, SHAZAM, ISIS, STRETCH ARM STRONG, ELECTRA WOMAN & DYNA GIRL, BIG FOOT, ULTRA MAN, MAZINGA, THE SUPER FRIENDS, AMAZING SPIDER MAN & FRIENDS, WEB WOMAN, THE HERCULOIDS, SPACE GHOST, etc etc, just going down memory lane here folks. fin (:
    Last edited by Sirius Pi; 05-14-2015 at 05:32 PM.

Amazing Member

Last time I saw it was decades ago on a tiny B&W tv. Looking forward to watching on my 50" plasma!

Quote Originally Posted by The Darknight Detective View Post
    I Love Lucy was my mother's favorite show when she was a kid and she still watches to this day (as do I).

When I was a kid during the early-mid '70s, my favorite afternoon block of programs after school was The Adventures of Superman, Batman, and The Lone Ranger. on WPIX. As for Ed Sullivan, I can barely recall watching his program during the late '60s and remember when he passed away.

Ed was a monster and, I use that phrase as a positive, because 80 percent of America at that time tuned in that show. It was really cool for us kids and teenagers of the time, when Ed started to have Rock and Roll acts Like Bo Diddley and Elvis Presley!
    -
    Ah...the Cereal Saturday mornings and after School days – To this day i still eat Kelloggs Corn Flakes and that was because they were a sponsor of the Adventures of Superman.

Yes, the Lone Ranger, like Superman, another Radio to TV series - right up there with; "Sky King"," Cisco Kid", "Captain Midnight" of the one’s I listened / watched. Later, it was “Clutch Cargo, “Fireball XL…and others...”

Now, Batman the TV show actually replaced my show on KABC at the time “Shindig” argh...but I forgive
    Here’s a bit of trivia - Both, the Lone Ranger and the Batman the TV show cave entrance was filmed in the same place “Bronson Canyon @ Griffith Park!

Ed was a monster and, I use that phrase as a positive, because 80 percent of America at that time tuned in that show. It was really cool for us kids and teenagers of the time, when Ed started to have Rock and Roll acts Like Bo Diddley and Elvis Presley!
    I know my parents both saw Elvis on that program back in '56 as new teens.
    -
    Ah...the Cereal Saturday mornings and after School days – To this day i still eat Kelloggs Corn Flakes and that was because they were a sponsor of the Adventures of Superman.
    IIRC, I believe Wild Bill Hickok was also a cereal show.

Yes, the Lone Ranger, like Superman, another Radio to TV series - right up there with; "Sky King"," Cisco Kid", "Captain Midnight" of the one’s I listened / watched. Later, it was “Clutch Cargo, “Fireball XL…and others...”
    My parents would be more familiar with most of those shows than me, since they weren't on in syndication when I was little. I know my father loved Captain Midnight and Rin Tin Tin (I first saw that one in the mid-'70s hosted by James Brown himself) and both of my parents were big Captain Video fans. My father, BTW, was a member of the Peanut Gallery one day on Howdy Doody (I watched the newer version of the show back in the mid '70s, FWIW). He doesn't remember exactly when, but he thought Princess Summer-Fall-Winter-Spring was a babe (she certainly was in Jailhouse Rock, IMO) so he wasn't that young.

The exceptions were The Lone Ranger (as I mentioned before) and The Cisco Kid. The latter program was the first western that I recall watching and enjoying (my brother and I watched it before school), though The Rifleman was on around the same time I discovered Cisco and Pancho (circa 1971) and I liked that one, too. The Lone Ranger didn't pop up in syndication until a couple of years later, though the animated shorts could be seen earlier than that.

Quote Originally Posted by Sirius Pi View Post
    Oh Yeah! I Do Remember Watching Mr. George Reeves As SUPERMAN, Back In The Early 1970s., Those Saturday Mornings Were Indeed Fun, And Then Later In That Decade Of The 70s And In The Early 80s Came BATMAN & ROBIN From 1960s, SHAZAM, ISIS, STRETCH ARM STRONG, ELECTRA WOMAN & DYNA GIRL, BIG FOOT, ULTRA MAN, MAZINGA, THE SUPER FRIENDS, AMAZING SPIDER MAN & FRIENDS, WEB WOMAN, THE HERCULOIDS, SPACE GHOST, etc etc, just going down memory lane here folks. fin (:
    I watched most of them back in the late '60s/'70s myself. Super Friends was, hands down, my favorite Saturday morning cartoon. As for Isis and Electra Woman, boy were they yummy!

I had never seen more than a episode of George Reeves as Superman here and there over the years until I bought the first season of Adventures of Superman on DVD last year. It's clearly a low budget show, but it captures the early 40s "Superman vs. gangsters and criminals" type of storytelling very well, and Reeves is excellent. So I'm definitely a fan now.

And I still love the Lone Ranger. I used to watch that show as a kid, and again, I found some episodes on DVD and really enjoyed revisiting the character.