Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

I personally think collections of more than 20 issues make no sense, and I don't get people who "collect" by format, IE, "Omnibus Collectors".

Fantastic Member

I don't worry much about finishing books one at a time. I start reading and when I've had enough I'll put it down and open up something else for a while. I find with comics that the visual aspect allows me to come back to something and not have lost the plot in the interim. A quick skim of a few pages has me right back up to snuff with what's going on.

Fantastic Member

I always have 3 books going at a time.

At work I'll have either a TPB (Marvel Epic Collection for example) or non-Omnibus HC. Right now I'm 2/3 through the Iron Fist epic. Next, I think will be the Green Arrow Deluxe HC that was just released. When the 3rd Suicide Squad trade comes out, I'll probably start reading those in preparation for the movie. These books can go back and forth to work pretty easily in my laptop bag.

At home on the nightstand next to my bed I always have 2 Omnibi (1 SA or older and 1 more modern). As has been mentioned, the SA stuff can be tough to read issue after issue without a break. I'll read 2 or 3 issues then move to the modern omnibus and read a full story arc. For example, right now I'm reading SA Green Lantern Vol 1 along with Deadpool by Joe Kelly (prep for the movie, of course). I'll also take a break between multi-volume books. I've read Teen Titans 1, but not 2 yet. When it comes to big, full runs like JSA or Green Lantern (and Brightest Day Omnibus, as well), I'm not sure how I'll handle those. Will probably depend on how much I'm enjoying them at the end of the first volumes.

I tried reading one thing at a time (with the Deadpool & Cable omni), took me about half a year.. I can't do it. I read arc to arc, I constantly jump around several titles depending on my mood. Deadpool & Cable is one of my favorite stories ever (#21 is the funniest comic ive ever read, period) but even that couldn't keep me reading all 50 issues back to back. My mood is all over the place comic wise, I could start off by reading a lighthearted spidey issue and 20 mins later I am back reading Nailbiter.
    None of you seem to understand, I'm not locked in here with you, you're locked in here with me..

Amazing Member

I tend to read one trade at a time unless I'm reading an event with tie-ins. So if I'm reading Blackest Night I'll switch between the tie-in trades. But usually once Inread an event once with all the tie-ins the next time around I'll just read the main event trade. I get tired of switching between trades.

I think 20-25 issues omnis are a good size while 10-12 issues are good for an OHC. I save omnis for home reading and smaller trades for work and travelling.

I feel like jumping from book to book all the time and I'm constantly tempted to go to my thinner OHCs just because of how easy they are to read.
    Getting a lapdesk has made it much easier for me to get through my bigger books as one of my bigger concerns was ruining the binding on a non-flat surface. I've been able to get through several omnis this way like Animal Man, JSA vol.1, SA Avengers vol.1+2, Alias. I like reading on my bed and it wouldn't have been possible without one. I've also been sticking to just one book at a time and now I'm much more efficient at clearing my backlog. I'm only a 300 pages away from finishing DC One Million and then I'll be reading a few thinner books before I pick up another thick book. I usually alternate between the two.

I feel like I do this with the older SA Omnibi like FF and ASM for sure. I go into these knowing full well I will take them one issue at a time and I will often read other books in between finishing the whole Omni. I do tend to gravitate toward smaller OHCs like the image deluxe, partly because of the size, but partly because I go through some superhero fatigue at times and need to read something less superhero related. I have quite a few Omnibi that I need to read that are not SA, and I know what you are saying by thinking of them as daunting sometimes, but I just crack them open and read until I have had my fill and then read something else. Though I won't crack another Omni until I finish one because I think if I had two I was reading at one time, I might get some anxiety and it would be more like a chore I have to finish than something I want to enjoy. It kinda feels like enjoyment and OCD are at a crossroads sometimes when I want to read something but can't because of fear of finishing it before starting something else.

If the writing is good, then I will find myself breezing through huge volumes very quickly. If the story is a slog or dense or Morrison, then it'll take a long while. I'll try to read straight through before I read the next book. Silver Age books are harder to read through than modern books, but Fantastic Four Lee/Kirby I read through fast.

I usually have a DC book, a Marvel book, and a couple others (Dark Horse/IDW/etc) on the go at once, so I usually have something I feel like reading. I don't like to just read one thing at a time, especially if it's an Omnibus or larger book.

Not really though I have been taking my sweet time with the Green Lantern By Geoff Johns omnibus volume 1 to finish . I've had it since April and I'm still about 2/3 done . Good stories but I just can't seem to keep reading for a long period of time but I never had any issues with other omni's

Still winning!

Quote Originally Posted by Henrik K. Kristensen View Post
    I feel the same as the OP.
    I never but collection of classic comics (pre-2000) if they are more than 600 pages. In addition to being unwieldy they are a chore to finish - even if the comics are good.
    Exactly. I got bored with those oversized classic editions quick. At first I thought it was cool to have all the classics in one book. But then I realized my enjoyment decreased with each new read. Maybe because they aren't continuous stories. I've read the Walking Dead Compendiums without feeling bored like I do when reading the classic comics collections. I'm sure it has to do with the fact that the WD was one continuous story rather than a collection of stories that have been condensed for the format.

I always finish whatever book I'm reading before moving on. If I'm re-reading things then I may jump around, as someone above said it's easy to refresh yourself on what happens by skimming a few pages.

I personally love reading huge chunks of runs though. I took a chance on Johns' GL and ended up reading both omnibuses back to back. I can't imagine a better way of experiencing it.

I think the recap nature of older comics makes it harder to read a large number of issues in a row. If you know you can skip a lot of the unnecessary captions then the problem is reduced but I feel you need to read it all once before knowing you can just skip them.

I only read one book at a time. I rather focus on 1 book so I can think about things inbetween breaks. I wouldn't want to have to remember multiple plots at once.

As far as big books go like omnibus vs HC/OHC/TPB theres pros and cons. For HC/OHC/TPB of course its easier to handle and easier to read in one sitting. But I don't care if I can read something in one sitting or not. But at the same time I miss having a full run or a large portion or a run in a book. With omnis it is a little daunting at first to think i'm going to finsh this huge book but once I start that fades away. Also I read my omnis on my lap with the book under a pillow, otherwise without the pillow the weight of the book hurts my legs after a while.

And so far ive never not finished a book either, I feel like I can't fully judge it without at least one full read through.