Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

I saw it, and I can't say I like it. I'm not comfortable with how Superman is being portrayed as a God. I'm not sure I'm going to see this movie.

Extraordinary Member Vanguard-01's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by protege View Post
    I saw it, and I can't say I like it. I'm not comfortable with how Superman is being portrayed as a God. I'm not sure I'm going to see this movie.
    He's not being portrayed as a god. He's being portrayed as being confused with a god by a lot of people. Until I see him actually encouraging people to bow before him and pray to him, then no one is trying to claim he's a god except for some very confused people in the movie.
    Though much is taken, much abides; and though
    We are not now that strength which in old days
    Moved earth and heaven, that which we are, we are,
    One equal temper of heroic hearts,
    Made weak by time and fate, but strong in will
    To strive, to seek, to find, and not to yield.

--Lord Alfred Tennyson--

Astonishing Member The_Greatest_Username's Avatar

This movie looks sort of exactly how I pictured it to be so I'm not going to complain about that. I'm mostly going to be seeing this movie for the other heroes' cameos anyways because I'm a little burnout on Batman and Superman for the time being.
    I don't doubt this movie will make a killing in the box office.

Savior of the Multiverse Crazy Bald Guy's Avatar

I will say Affleck as Batman looks far better than I expected.
    However, I don't recognize two of my favorite superheroes or the world they inhabit. This isn't for me.

It was certainly as gloomy and morose as I expected so I can't say I was was shocked there.
    "In any time, there will always be a need for heroes." - the Time Trapper, Legion of Superheroes #61(1994)

"What can I say? I guess I outgrew maturity.." - Bob Chipman

Quote Originally Posted by Pharozonk View Post
    It was certainly as gloomy and morose as I expected so I can't say I was was shocked there.
    "It's always darkest right before the DAWN."

--Lord Alfred Tennyson--

DC/Collected Editions Mod The Darknight Detective's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Vanguard-01 View Post
    He's not being portrayed as a god. He's being portrayed as being confused with a god by a lot of people. Until I see him actually encouraging people to bow before him and pray to him, then no one is trying to claim he's a god except for some very confused people in the movie.
    Right. Unless Supe's gets a dose of red kryptonite, he's not going to portray himself as a god. It's silly to even think it is a real possibility.
    A bat! That's it! It's an omen.. I'll shall become a bat!

Pre-CBR Reboot Join Date: 10-17-2010

Pre-CBR Reboot Posts: 4,362

THE CBR COMMUNITY STANDARDS & RULES ~ So... what's your excuse now?

There are existing religions that believe aliens are gods and or gods are aliens, so the movie is realistic in depicting people who might try to worship Superman as an alien god.

Extraordinary Member

Affleck is scary...

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by colonyofcells View Post
    There are existing religions that believe aliens are gods and or gods are aliens, so the movie is realistic in depicting people who might try to worship Superman as an alien god.
    It all comes down to a person's definition of "alien" because anything not from our world is alien.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Crazy Bald Guy View Post
    I will say Affleck as Batman looks far better than I expected.
    However, I don't recognize two of my favorite superheroes or the world they inhabit. This isn't for me.
    You took the words out of my mouth. This isn't Superman and The Batman of previous decades, it's Superman and Batman through the lens of Goyer, Snyder, and a WB that feels its superheroes must be dark, grim, and angst-ridden so as to beat Marvel at the box office.

Quote Originally Posted by The Darknight Detective View Post
    Right. Unless Supe's gets a dose of red kryptonite, he's not going to portray himself as a god. It's silly to even think it is a real possibility.
    You'd be right about Superman in the comics, but this is the Superman of the Man of Steel universe. I personally feel he's got enough of a different upbringing that he could be somewhat unhinged. He has been made, after all, to be "flawed" and "human" and even "broken." People often do bad things because of those feelings.

"It's always darkest right before the DAWN."
    I'd almost be able to forgive a lot of MoS and what it looks like Batman v Superman is going to be if some actual optimism and fun was allowed in to these films at some point, but the WB's mandate doesn't seem to allow for that, ever.

Quote Originally Posted by Xon-Ur View Post
    You took the words out of my mouth. This isn't Superman and The Batman of previous decades, it's Superman and Batman through the lens of Goyer, Snyder, and a WB that feels its superheroes must be dark, grim, and angst-ridden so as to beat Marvel at the box office.
    1.) It definitely looks like the Batman we've been seeing in comics for years. Angry? Broody? Paranoid? Seems about right.

2.) You're basing this whole opinion based on one movie and a trailer that only shows you the conflict of the upcoming story. It shows nothing of the resolution of that conflict. Given the hopeful name of the movie, I think it's fair to assume that the conflict will be resolved in a very satisfactory way.

I'd almost be able to forgive a lot of MoS and what it looks like Batman v Superman is going to be if some actual optimism and fun was allowed in to these films at some point, but the WB's mandate doesn't seem to allow for that, ever.
    Once again, you're basing that off one movie and a trailer that was designed from the ground up to raise more questions. WB has said nothing about some kind of company policy to only tell dark, grim stories.

Some of us have even already heard some rumors that the ending to this movie is intended to be uplifting. I choose to remain optimistic until I see some conclusive evidence to the contrary.

--Lord Alfred Tennyson--

Mighty Member

1.) It definitely looks like the Batman we've been seeing in comics for years. Angry? Broody? Paranoid? Seems about right.
    Exactly!

2.) You're basing this whole opinion based on one movie and a trailer that only shows you the conflict of the upcoming story. It shows nothing of the resolution of that conflict. Given the hopeful name of the movie, I think it's fair to assume that the conflict will be resolved in a very satisfactory way.
    It is funny how from one trailer some people are claiming that they know what the whole movie will be like. They have changed things up since MOS. You can tell that Snyder used a different DP... the cinematography is clearly different. I have never thought that MOS was originally supposed to be the start of the DCCU. I'd bet that this movie will be quite different in overall tone than MOS. Plus this movie won't be hindered by the choppy flashbacks that Goyer used in MOS to retell Clark's origin. It worked in Batman Begins but he couldn't make it work for MOS.

Once again, you're basing that off one movie and a trailer that was designed from the ground up to raise more questions. WB has said nothing about some kind of company policy to only tell dark, grim stories.
    It is a new catchphrase that some haters are blindly going to in order to express their dissatisfaction.

So people don't realize that all this darkness is leading somewhere? It's right there in the title. The Dawn of Justice and the Age of Heroes is coming! It's a story progression. This is how humans would react to the appearance of a god like alien. His race of people tried to wipe out humanity yet he is telling everyone that he's a good guy. So there's bound to be conflict. After the conflict we'll get the heroic team up.

Cavill is getting better at displaying emotive range. There's that one scene with the day of the dead crowd and he looks so confused. Perfectly captures the concept of the movie. A world that bewilders Superman since some see him as friend others seem him as foe and others see him as a blasphemous figure etc.

Movie is basically Superman on trial and everybody including Aquaman will have a testimony. It's a concept where the only people he really would be able to confide in are Ma Kent and Lois Lane. So they could finally get some of those relationship dynamics to really bring out the Clark Kent in Kal-El.

This movie has potential to be quite good based on it's bold narrative alone. I say that as somebody who thought Man of Steel was just pretty mediocre. It's also so great to have Larry Fong on this. Visually Superman and Batman are presented the way they should be thanks to the way everything is shot. A larger than life but humble figure and an intimidating walking presence with access to some wonderful toys.
    I enjoy comic book adaptations but I'm a comic book fan first and foremost. Not a comic book movie fan.