Astonishing Member Johnny Thunders!'s Avatar

Default New Gods and Machines, are they powered by magic?

Are the machines powered by magic? Besides Superman and the Legion in Final Crisis, could non New Gods create the same tech as in New Genesis? Could Braniac or Luthor? What about the Guardians?
    Last edited by Johnny Thunders!; 04-17-2015 at 06:08 PM.

Since magic is not real, I would go with the machines explanation for the new gods.

Quote Originally Posted by colonyofcells View Post
    Since magic is not real, I would go with the machines explanation for the new gods.
    Can't tell if sarcasm or Poe's Law

Anyway - I dunno if it's magic or just highly advanced technology, but I don't think anyone not from the Fourth World can replicate in excpet in very specific circumstances.

Extraordinary Member t hedge coke's Avatar

"Magic" in a DCU context is technology. It's a set of tools and techniques that can be applied for repeatable consequences and work.
    Patsy Walker on TV! Patsy Walker in new comics! Patsy Walker in your brain! And Jessica Jones is the new Nancy! (Oh, and read the Comics Cube.)

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny Thunders! View Post
    Are the machines powered by magic? Besides Superman and the Legion in Final Crisis, could non New Gods create the same tech as in New Genesis? Could Braniac or Luthor? What about the Guardians?
    No they are metaphors and expressions of the power of the New Gods. Like Zeus's thunder bolts or Thor's hammer, they are symbols of their divinity and godhood. It's power dressed up in the metaphors of modernity like the Olympians were dressed up in the context of antiquity.

Astonishing Member Johnny Thunders!'s Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce Wayne View Post
    No they are metaphors and expressions of the power of the New Gods. Like Zeus's thunder bolts or Thor's hammer, they are symbols of their divinity and godhood. It's power dressed up in the metaphors of modernity like the Olympians were dressed up in the context of antiquity.
    That's amazing!

The language is cloning, mutation, but if we took the tech apart it wouldn't make sense. I bet that's why the circuits are drawn like Incan ruins.

It's so funny, I keep fighting this notion that they're gods, just like any gods, living stories.

So what are mother boxes?
    Last edited by Johnny Thunders!; 04-17-2015 at 08:15 PM.

Extraordinary Member t hedge coke's Avatar

That's amazing!

The language is cloning, mutation, but if we took the tech apart it wouldn't make sense. I bet that's why the circuits are drawn like Incan ruins.
    Metron's chair is made from junk in World War 3, and identified as being made of cheap plastic and radio parts in Final Crisis.

Most of the New Gods and their tools/items have some resonance for something bigger. Morrison's used the aforementioned chair as "the scope," the platonic and simplest form of the investigation device, from microscope to telescope. Desaad is sadism. Granny Goodness is mother as horror. Brola is that guy who always tries to start a fight, which is why he permanently has bricks in his hands.

I always thought there was something in Kalibak, the second and unfavored son, wielding the Beta Club.

So what are mother boxes?
    Smartphones. Personal computers. Crucifix necklaces. Fetishes you talk through, that answer back, educate and reassure you.
    Patsy Walker on TV! Patsy Walker in new comics! Patsy Walker in your brain! And Jessica Jones is the new Nancy! (Oh, and read the Comics Cube.)