Page 333 of 400 FirstFirst ... 233283323329330331332333334335336337343383 ... LastLast
Results 4,981 to 4,995 of 6000

Quote Originally Posted by scribbleMind View Post
    As disappointed as I am about the state of Milestone, I really don't think they could have found anyone else as experienced in pushing diversity and as fluid in the language of comics to direct Shadowman as Reggie Hudlin. Great pick.
    Ok a couple things, 1) Milestone? 2) What does "experienced in pushing diversity" mean? Examples?
    Although it looks pandering, the cast of his new movie, Marshall, looks fantastic: Chadwick Boseman (super interested to see more of this guy leading up to Black Panther), Josh Gad, and my favorite up-and-comer, Dan Stevens. I will for sure be checking this out. It comes out Oct. 17 if anyone's curious.

Addendum:
    I won't be getting that Rai issue today because I don't need a crash course in Valiant, but if anyone does get it and finds some interesting bits, do tell.
    I read it, and while I think it was fairly fun, it's exactly what you were expecting.
    Valiant- X-O Manowar / Bloodshot Salvation / Ninja-K / Quantum and Woody! / Shadowman / Harbinger Wars II / Brittania
    DC- Justice League / Hal Jordan and the GLC / The Flash / Aquaman / Mera / Mister Miracle / Silencer / The Terrifics
    Other- The Walking Dead / Mighty Morphin Power Rangers / Go Go Power Rangers

Mighty Member

Milestone is like a second party developer, in video game terms. Dwayne McDuffie, John Rozum, Michael Davis, Reginald Hudlin, and others wrote and edited the comics, and DC printed them. They created a slightly more grounded universe (in so much that most of it was street level and most of the costumes were supposed to look home made and amateurish) where the most prominent heroes, Icon and Rocket (they were on Young Justice), Hardware, and Static (of Static Shock) were black (well, Icon was a blue alien at first and when he landed the first person he met was black, so that's what he became). There was also the Blood Syndicate, probably the only book about a somewhat heroic super-powered street gang, which was primarily Hispanic and black. Shadow Cabinet was like secret underground Justice League, and was broader in its diversity. Both Shadow Cabinet and Blood Syndicate had major LGBT characters. The only other one worth mentioning (imo) is Xombi, an Asian led supernatural book. It's notable because DC rebooted it a while ago, and it was a lot of people's introduction to Frazer Irving's art. Wouldn't mean too much now when diversity is either seen as a necessity or a gimmick, but from 1993-1996 when Milestone was making comics, they led the charge.

Mighty Member

Rapture #2 was ok. Mostly exposition so there isn't anything noteworthy to complain or be excited about. I must say, I do hate the term liveside because logically the liveside would be our side, the side of the living, as opposed to a stand in for heaven. Plus, just as a phrase, liveside is unwieldy.

Britannia #3 is on par with the rest of the series. I kinda of still prefer the other story, but this one is also very good. Reading it left me feeling like I had just experienced something cinematic. This series would make for great movies or primetime cable series. It was definitely entertaining enough that I'm already excited for the next four part mini-series. If they turned this into a series of Sherlock-esque novellas I would read them all up.

Fuutre Instigator kinggirlfriend's Avatar

Britannia #3 is on par with the rest of the series. I kinda of still prefer the other story, but this one is also very good. Reading it left me feeling like I had just experienced something cinematic. This series would make for great movies or primetime cable series. It was definitely entertaining enough that I'm already excited for the next four part mini-series. If they turned this into a series of Sherlock-esque novellas I would read them all up.
    I'm tradewaiting but I absolutely loved the first volume and can't wait for this one and however many come afterwards.

Did anyone read Secret Weapons? I loved it.
    Co-host of Get Valiant, a Valiant Comics podcast.

Mighty Member

Oh yes. X-O is shaping up to be Kindt's best valiant work, imo.

And Secret Weapons lived up to expectation. It was really well paced. Livewire came off great. Nikki was awesome. Martin, for as little time as he had, was personified so well. However, I found Owen to be a bit basic. Art, out the park. This is the guy that wrote the Harbingers script? The hype for that movie just jumped a few more notches.

BANNED

Eh I think Livewire crying at Harada leaving those kids out to dry cause they weren't useful was OOC.
    Still good but that felt more like stereotypical motherly instinct.

Nor do I really think Harada would bother keeping that type of program secret from what was one of his top LT.

Beyond that it was good.

X-O Run feels like Planet Hulk which is not a bad thing by any means.
    Last edited by JediKage; 06-30-2017 at 12:51 AM.

i'm enjoying X-O but i pretty damn ready to see the aric in the armor again.

was at a sale over the weekend and picked up the valiant TPBs of harbinger, the rai, and shadowman from 1993 for .50 each. i don't have any real interest in the original valiant stuff but for that price i had to get them. i guess i'll try and trade them at my LCS or something.

i also got some #5-8 of the acclaim/valiant shadow man by jamie delano & charlie adlard for .50 a piece, anybody read that run?? i absolutely love the 1st 4 issues by ennis & wood.

Got the two Joshua Dysart Harbinger omnibuses and the following Imperium series on comixology.

Finished reading the two Harbinger omnis last night. Really enjoyed them. Thought they were well written, and although they obviously feature ideas seen before in X-Men and John Bryne's Next Men...they were still a refreshing change from DC/Marvel super hero comics...the story has a beginning moves forward, rather than effectively being a never ending cartoon, where status is always reset to hero "wins and survives".

Is the Immortal Brothers: The Tale of the Green Knight #1 a stand alone issue? I've read the first three volumes of Archer & Armstrong. This looks interesting and i'm a fan of the Tolkien translation of the old story. I just don't want this to spoil anything that i should have read first.

Mighty Member

Yeah, it's a one-shot.

Secret Weapons was a fun read.

Incredible Member

So has the 4001 AD Deluxe been cancelled or pushed back?

Milestone is like a second party developer, in video game terms. Dwayne McDuffie, John Rozum, Michael Davis, Reginald Hudlin, and others wrote and edited the comics, and DC printed them. They created a slightly more grounded universe (in so much that most of it was street level and most of the costumes were supposed to look home made and amateurish) where the most prominent heroes, Icon and Rocket (they were on Young Justice), Hardware, and Static (of Static Shock) were black (well, Icon was a blue alien at first and when he landed the first person he met was black, so that's what he became). There was also the Blood Syndicate, probably the only book about a somewhat heroic super-powered street gang, which was primarily Hispanic and black. Shadow Cabinet was like secret underground Justice League, and was broader in its diversity. Both Shadow Cabinet and Blood Syndicate had major LGBT characters. The only other one worth mentioning (imo) is Xombi, an Asian led supernatural book. It's notable because DC rebooted it a while ago, and it was a lot of people's introduction to Frazer Irving's art. Wouldn't mean too much now when diversity is either seen as a necessity or a gimmick, but from 1993-1996 when Milestone was making comics, they led the charge.
    Huh.. fascinating. Although I don't give a **** about diversity, I think a black/lgbt led superhero universe was probably a refreshing thing to see in the 90's. Is there anything I need to check out asap?

I haven't been on the thread in a while, so here's my super quick thoughts on current stuff:

Rapture- It's fine and definitely worth $4 of entertainment, but I can't say I'm really connecting with it. While X-O is showing all of Kindt's strengths, Rapture is floundering in Kindt's usual overly long introduction and exposition-heavy dialogue. I am, however, highly intrigued by the choice that Shadowman was given at the end of #2. 3/5.

X-O Manowar- What is there to say? It's fantastic. Kindt's first four issues are at least on par with Venditti's which is honestly more than I could've asked for. 5/5.

Faith- Slightly disappointing finale, but the series continues to be bolstered by Faith and Jody Houser's infectious light-hearted optimism. I can't wait for the Future Force. 4/5.

Secret Weapons- Like X-O, this was more than I could've asked for. I think Heisserer and Allen have truly created something special... at least.. hopefully. 5/5.

Brittania 2- Better than the first one imo. I'm super into the mystery and every character is fascinating. 4.5/5.
    Valiant- X-O Manowar / Bloodshot Salvation / Ninja-K / Quantum and Woody! / Shadowman / Harbinger Wars II / Brittania
    DC- Justice League / Hal Jordan and the GLC / The Flash / Aquaman / Mera / Mister Miracle / Silencer / The Terrifics
    Other- The Walking Dead / Mighty Morphin Power Rangers / Go Go Power Rangers