Page 399 of 400 FirstFirst ... 299349389395396397398399400 LastLast
Results 5,971 to 5,985 of 5989
  1. #5971

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Shadowras View Post
    April 2024 books: https://bleedingcool.com/comics/blee...solicitations/


    The Darques return and more.
    I'm fond of the mystic corner so I'll check it out.

    I'm hoping Valiant can spotlight some new creations when it's more stable.
    Last edited by the illustrious mr. kenway; 01-24-2024 at 09:08 PM.

  2. #5972
    Extraordinary Member Captain Craig's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    Nashville, TN
    Posts
    5,905

    Default

    Very stoked about all the April solicits but most especially The Darques!
    "Freedom is the right of all sentient beings" - Optimus Prime

  3. #5973
    Extraordinary Member Captain Craig's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    Nashville, TN
    Posts
    5,905

    Default

    X-O Manowar: Unconqured #6

    Becky Cloonan wraps up her initial arc with Aric. I had thought this was going to be a one off type story. However as it ends Aric and Co. are now set up to try and take down the Novus Romanus(aka Roman Empire 2.0) across the galaxy. Which to me now feels a bit like she is riffing the back half of the Venditti run from 2012 title. That was Aric on a planet taking out a world dictatorial force. The Noonan take is more of multiple star systems, perhaps a comparison to something like Skull or Kree empires is more fitting.

    X-O returns in May.
    "Freedom is the right of all sentient beings" - Optimus Prime

  4. #5974
    Extraordinary Member Captain Craig's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    Nashville, TN
    Posts
    5,905

    Default

    Am I the last one, the Highlander of this boards Valiant readership?

    Alien Books has the VU back on track. Getting it out of the one a month publishing fiasco and hopefully behind the scenes allowing DMG to settle some financials.
    You really should check out Valiantines One-Shot.
    ValiantinesOneShot.jpg

    These four stories all share a narrative backdrop surrounding Aric/XO.
    There are no less than 2 status quo shake ups which one would not expect in a one shot. Personally I thought the tales would just be glorified filler.

    Have folks been put off by the price point? Which I get that. The creeping cost of Marvel/DC monthlies has had me continue to cut back there.
    However, Valiant needs the support and now that the stories are again out they are proving worth the time(and money).
    "Freedom is the right of all sentient beings" - Optimus Prime

  5. #5975

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Captain Craig View Post
    Am I the last one, the Highlander of this boards Valiant readership?

    Alien Books has the VU back on track. Getting it out of the one a month publishing fiasco and hopefully behind the scenes allowing DMG to settle some financials.
    You really should check out Valiantines One-Shot.
    ValiantinesOneShot.jpg

    These four stories all share a narrative backdrop surrounding Aric/XO.
    There are no less than 2 status quo shake ups which one would not expect in a one shot. Personally I thought the tales would just be glorified filler.

    Have folks been put off by the price point? Which I get that. The creeping cost of Marvel/DC monthlies has had me continue to cut back there.
    However, Valiant needs the support and now that the stories are again out they are proving worth the time(and money).
    I was a more casual fan that fell off once or twice. I'm more into indie comics this year so I might check the Valiantines One-Shot. I can't find it digitally so it would be a while.

    There isn't a whole lot of news to get excited by and other companies took over the zeitgeist.
    Last edited by the illustrious mr. kenway; 02-12-2024 at 09:37 AM.

  6. #5976
    Extraordinary Member Captain Craig's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    Nashville, TN
    Posts
    5,905

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by the illustrious mr. kenway View Post
    There isn't a whole lot of news to get excited by and other companies took over the zeitgeist.
    What companies and books? My budget only allows for so much these days which means exploring newer independent universes isn't what it once was for me.
    I had my favorite Indy U titles/universes once upon a time.
    Ultraverse
    Image 90s superheroes
    Dark Horse - Comics Greatest World with Ghost, X, King Snake, Barb Wire etc then the relaunch a decade ago with Captain Midnight.
    Archies Dark Circle - Shield, Fox, The Hood

    Valiant stayed my #1 Indy superhero U though.
    "Freedom is the right of all sentient beings" - Optimus Prime

  7. #5977

    Default

    Radiant Black and the Massive verse titles are my favorite.



    Ghost machine is a new imprint at Image Comics I'm interested in.
    Last edited by the illustrious mr. kenway; 02-14-2024 at 09:10 AM.

  8. #5978
    Fantastic Member Yohei72's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2016
    Location
    Brooklyn, New York
    Posts
    464

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Captain Craig View Post
    Am I the last one, the Highlander of this boards Valiant readership?

    Alien Books has the VU back on track. Getting it out of the one a month publishing fiasco and hopefully behind the scenes allowing DMG to settle some financials.
    You really should check out Valiantines One-Shot.
    ValiantinesOneShot.jpg

    These four stories all share a narrative backdrop surrounding Aric/XO.
    There are no less than 2 status quo shake ups which one would not expect in a one shot. Personally I thought the tales would just be glorified filler.

    Have folks been put off by the price point? Which I get that. The creeping cost of Marvel/DC monthlies has had me continue to cut back there.
    However, Valiant needs the support and now that the stories are again out they are proving worth the time(and money).
    I was quite into Valiant for a while back in the Dinesh era. They set a really high standard. Joshua Dysart's Harbinger and Imperium are collectively a masterpiece, the most underappreciated superhero comics I've ever read. Robert Venditti's XO Manowar and Matt Kindt's Ninjak were delightful too, and Fred van Lente's Archer & Armstrong was a unique satirical take on the genre with lots of contemporary political jabs of the kind you don't get much in mainstream superhero comics.

    Nothing I read afterwards was really satisfying, although I don't expect everything to rise to that level, and I hopped off the train a few years ago. I haven't heard anything recently that has filled me with an urge to re-enlist, especially as I'm reducing my monthly purchases across the board for money and time reasons. Although some of the XO Manowar runs since have sounded intriguing, and I plan to check those out sometime.

  9. #5979
    Extraordinary Member Captain Craig's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    Nashville, TN
    Posts
    5,905

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Yohei72 View Post
    I was quite into Valiant for a while back in the Dinesh era. They set a really high standard. Joshua Dysart's Harbinger and Imperium are collectively a masterpiece, the most underappreciated superhero comics I've ever read. Robert Venditti's XO Manowar and Matt Kindt's Ninjak were delightful too, and Fred van Lente's Archer & Armstrong was a unique satirical take on the genre with lots of contemporary political jabs of the kind you don't get much in mainstream superhero comics.

    Nothing I read afterwards was really satisfying, although I don't expect everything to rise to that level, and I hopped off the train a few years ago. I haven't heard anything recently that has filled me with an urge to re-enlist, especially as I'm reducing my monthly purchases across the board for money and time reasons. Although some of the XO Manowar runs since have sounded intriguing, and I plan to check those out sometime.
    Yeah, Dinesh era from 2012-2018 are solid. When DMG took over it went down and Covid happened it all but sank the ship.
    DMG finally outsourced the characters to Alien Books last Spring. Everything shut down for about 8months while they reorganized and now real traction is occurring.

    Re: X-O Manowar post Dinesh
    I'd avoid the 9 issue Dennis Hopeless series. It reads like fan fiction from someone who thinks Aric/Shanhara = Tony Stark/Jarvis and Aric is just all wrong character wise.

    The current Unconquered from Becky Cloonan is solid and she will continue the story in May. Not sure if it'll be an issue #7 or X-O: (insert subtitle) as followup.
    "Freedom is the right of all sentient beings" - Optimus Prime

  10. #5980
    Fantastic Member Yohei72's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2016
    Location
    Brooklyn, New York
    Posts
    464

    Default

    I'll be glad if your predictions about the future of Valiant come true. I'll certainly be watching. But if they can't get Dysart back at least sometimes, that'll definitely lessen my interest, and from what I've found out recently about the bad blood there, it doesn't seem likely.

    What do you think of Matt Kindt's X-O Manowar run? I heard good things about that.

  11. #5981
    Mighty Member Shadowras's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    1,371

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Captain Craig View Post
    What companies and books? My budget only allows for so much these days which means exploring newer independent universes isn't what it once was for me.
    I had my favorite Indy U titles/universes once upon a time.
    Ultraverse
    Image 90s superheroes
    Dark Horse - Comics Greatest World with Ghost, X, King Snake, Barb Wire etc then the relaunch a decade ago with Captain Midnight.
    Archies Dark Circle - Shield, Fox, The Hood

    Valiant stayed my #1 Indy superhero U though.
    Valiant used to be my favorite small universe too, the last Shadowman series was the last book I bought from them.
    Right now I'm reading:
    Energon universe- Image/Sky bound
    New Ultimates- Marvel
    Youneek(African heroes)- Dark horse
    Plan to sample some Ghost machine books as well.

  12. #5982
    Extraordinary Member Captain Craig's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    Nashville, TN
    Posts
    5,905

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Yohei72 View Post
    What do you think of Matt Kindt's X-O Manowar run? I heard good things about that.
    This is a good run and solid follow-up to Venditti's run.
    The Dennis Hopeless run, volume 5 2020, is really the stinker run since the VEI rebirth in 2012.

    I may pick up Ghost Machine. I read Geiger some years back in tpb, picked it up for $5 at a show. Red Coat looks interesting.
    Post IDW I'm giving TF a rest, I did read the issue #1 but will TPB wait this.
    Never been a fan of Marvels Ultimates line so that is a pass.
    I'll have to look up Youneek, not heard of that.
    "Freedom is the right of all sentient beings" - Optimus Prime

  13. #5983
    Mighty Member Shadowras's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    1,371

    Default

    Valiant May 2024: https://bleedingcool.com/comics/vali...-rai-valiants/




    The Faraway returns in the Valiants, and Ivar returns in X-O, very interesting stuff here.

  14. #5984
    Extraordinary Member Captain Craig's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    Nashville, TN
    Posts
    5,905

    Default

    Livewire back in a book with some development time = win
    Rai is back = love love Rai super win
    Faith isn't in my top 10 of characters but I will read it as I have her other series. Her face on the cover seems off and inconsistent to me with other artists.
    "Freedom is the right of all sentient beings" - Optimus Prime

  15. #5985
    Incredible Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2017
    Posts
    723

    Default

    Any chance of the Dinesh era getting the omnibus treatment? Large swaths of those OHCs are out of print.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •