Page 281 of 400 FirstFirst ... 181231271277278279280281282283284285291331381 ... LastLast
Results 4,201 to 4,215 of 6000

Quote Originally Posted by Inhuman X View Post
    What ever Dysart is doing, unless its My Little Pony, I am going to read it.
    That would be the best damn pony ever written
    I'm a freedom fighter
    I drink apple cider

Quote Originally Posted by harashkupo View Post
    That would be the best damn pony ever written
    Okay. +1 for you. That deserves a LOL.
    My Monthly Pulls - DC: Waiting for Deathstroke and Vigilante. Marvel: Moon Knight. The Vision, Waiting for Solo. Valiant: Bloodshot Reborn, Ninjak, Divinity III Stalinverse, Bloodshot USA event, Waiting for PSI Lords. Why aren't you reading Valiant and other Indies too?

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by TheFerg714 View Post
    Ugh, I feel like the odd man out when I complain about Gen Zero, but it just doesn't seem too appealing to me for a few reasons.

Hey, you asked. I know I sound pretty negative, but I'm still very hyped for it, and fully plan on picking up at least the first arc. I'm sure it'll be great, but as you've read (if you managed to get through this whole post), I just have a few misgivings.
    I can understand your reservations, and don't be conflicted about negativity...comics are subjectively interesting, and we can only stretch our wallets so far, right?
    - I see what you're saying about the high-school setting for these battle-hardened kids, but that contrast could prove interesting. Ultimately, I hope they just spend the first arc in the school, maybe pick up a new member, and move on.
    - I hate to be rude (especially when I can't draw a decent stick figure), but I'm totally with you on Portela being...serviceable. Honestly, though, a lot of Valiant art is to me (moreso in the first few years of the relaunch than now), and that hurdle was one of the things that kept me away. At this point, I'm willing to overlook middling art for a cool story or, in the case of Gen Zero, an interesting group of characters I've been eager to see more of.
    - Once again I'm reminded of how subjective the comics-reading experience can be. For example, cover art has never added or detracted from my interest in a book if I'm sold on the story premise, writer, or artist.
    - I'm definitely willing to give Van Lente a shot with these characters, because he hasn't let me down, really. I didn't like his Magnus from Dynamite a few years back, but the guy wrote Action Philosophers, so I kind of hold him in that "immune-from-all-criticism" realm, lol.

Quote Originally Posted by keeen View Post
    I can understand your reservations, and don't be conflicted about negativity...comics are subjectively interesting, and we can only stretch our wallets so far, right?
    - I see what you're saying about the high-school setting for these battle-hardened kids, but that contrast could prove interesting. Ultimately, I hope they just spend the first arc in the school, maybe pick up a new member, and move on.
    - I hate to be rude (especially when I can't draw a decent stick figure), but I'm totally with you on Portela being...serviceable. Honestly, though, a lot of Valiant art is to me (moreso in the first few years of the relaunch than now), and that hurdle was one of the things that kept me away. At this point, I'm willing to overlook middling art for a cool story or, in the case of Gen Zero, an interesting group of characters I've been eager to see more of.
    - Once again I'm reminded of how subjective the comics-reading experience can be. For example, cover art has never added or detracted from my interest in a book if I'm sold on the story premise, writer, or artist.
    - I'm definitely willing to give Van Lente a shot with these characters, because he hasn't let me down, really. I didn't like his Magnus from Dynamite a few years back, but the guy wrote Action Philosophers, so I kind of hold him in that "immune-from-all-criticism" realm, lol.
    HA!
    That's me with Dysart and FVL!
    I'm a freedom fighter
    I drink apple cider

Fantastic Member

While I don't believe any creator is immune from criticism, Fred Van Lente has incurred enough good will for me to go along with this. And yeah, I got to agree with Keeen, I do like the contrast of these kids in a more light-hearted setting, even if it's obvious there's going to be a bunch of sinister undertones in Rook.

As for art, yeah I do wish there was a different artist on the book. Although, I have to say, when I saw Portella's pencils without Dalhouse's colors, I thought they were pretty good. That may be just bias since Dalhouse isn't my favorite colorist out there, but yeah.

As for Mooney... yeah, completely disagree with you guys. I love his artwork and am digging his covers. It's actually annoying that this guy has only done fill-in issues. Needs his own book.

Incredible Member

I'm excited for Gen Zero not just because we get more FVL goodness, but also because it looks to continue the Psiot Fetus storyline that Dysart planted back in Armor Hunters. Really curious to see where FVL goes with that one!
    I read Valiant Comics, and you should too!

Archer & Armstrong / Bloodshot USA / Divinity III / Faith / Generation Zero / Harbinger: Renegade / Ninjak / Savage

Anxiously awaiting: Bloodshot: Salvation / Britannia II / Harbinger Wars 2 / Psi-Lords / Secret Weapons / Shadowman / War Mother / X-O Manowar

Seriously, why aren't you reading Valiant Comics?

Quote Originally Posted by keeen View Post
    Ok first of all, (this is gonna be hard to articulate) the cover(s) don't do much for me either. As for the most obvious example, Mooney's covers aren't gonna get me to not buy those first few issues, I would just rather not see his work on the cover of anything I buy. Secondly, I kind of disagree that the cover has nothing to do with it. I'd actually argue that the cover is a pretty big deal. It's the thing that people first see, and could take interest in. There's been countless comics that I've picked up simply because it caught my eye and I had some extra money on a Wednesday. Honestly, I would cite Valiant's 2013 FCBD Clayton Crain cover as one of the major reasons for me getting into Valiant in the first place. It's hard to describe why, but it just really captured my imagination, and got me almost immediately invested in why Pete and Bloodshot were at odds. Basically, what I'm trying to say is that I think that covers are important... not as important as the writer, artist, inker, or colorist... but important nonetheless.

Quote Originally Posted by keeen
    Quote Originally Posted by harashkupo View Post
    HA!
    That's me with Dysart and FVL!
    Really? To be fair, I haven't read that much from FVL, but besides A&A (and now, War Mother), I honestly haven't been too impressed. Hercules, Magnus, Legends of the Geomancer, Brain Boy, and Timewalker were all good, but nothing transcendent. I'm not trying to argue or disagree, just curious what you guys see in the guy.
    And as for Dysart, I do feel that he is beyond criticism when he's working with Valiant. I've read a few issues of Unknown Soldier, and they were pretty good. What else have you read by him, and is there anything I need to check out asap?

Quote Originally Posted by Knight of DC
    As for Mooney... yeah, completely disagree with you guys. I love his artwork and am digging his covers. It's actually annoying that this guy has only done fill-in issues. Needs his own book.
    Well part of my hatred comes from admittedly personal and biased reasons. Back when IDW was publishing Angel: After The Fall (essentially, Angel Season 6), they decided to replace one of the greatest comic artists (Franco Urru) I've ever seen, who captured the essence of Angel perfectly, with Stephen Mooney. They favored getting the book out fast, every month, rather than focusing on making one big, cohesive story. So after the dust settled, I'm left with one of the best Whedonverse runs ever, that is tarnished from only letting Urru do half of the story. Yea, as you can see, I'm still a little salty. So there's my subjective complaint...
    Objectively, I think he sucks. Everything feels so bland and lifeless. People don't tend to feel real, and have actual proportions. His shadow and lighting work is just horrendous and embarrassing. He overcompensates with excessive lines and blackness that doesn't add anything to facial expressions. Everything looks very pastel-y and claylike. His action scenes never feel realistic, they just feel like two stick figures mushing together. Everytime I see some artwork that I actually enjoy (like this), after looking at it for a few days, it just turns into mush and an endless sea of boring.
    Ugh, that was hard. I'm awful at critiquing art, but I tried my best. My point is that I entirely disagree with you and I hate him and he sucks.
    Last edited by TheFerg714; 08-08-2016 at 02:38 PM.
    Valiant- X-O Manowar / Bloodshot Salvation / Ninja-K / Quantum and Woody! / Shadowman / Harbinger Wars II / Brittania
    DC- Justice League / Hal Jordan and the GLC / The Flash / Aquaman / Mera / Mister Miracle / Silencer / The Terrifics
    Other- The Walking Dead / Mighty Morphin Power Rangers / Go Go Power Rangers

Incredible Member

Ok first of all, (this is gonna be hard to articulate) the cover(s) don't do much for me either. As for the most obvious example, Mooney's covers aren't gonna get me to not buy those first few issues, I would just rather not see his work on the cover of anything I buy. Secondly, I kind of disagree that the cover has nothing to do with it. I'd actually argue that the cover is a pretty big deal. It's the thing that people first see, and could take interest in. There's been countless comics that I've picked up simply because it caught my eye and I had some extra money on a Wednesday. Honestly, I would cite Valiant's 2013 FCBD Clayton Crain cover as one of the major reasons for me getting into Valiant in the first place. It's hard to describe why, but it just really captured my imagination, and got me almost immediately invested in why Pete and Bloodshot were at odds. Basically, what I'm trying to say is that I think that covers are important... not as important as the writer, artist, inker, or colorist... but important nonetheless.

Really? To be fair, I haven't read that much from FVL, but besides A&A (and now, War Mother), I honestly haven't been too impressed. Hercules, Magnus, Legends of the Geomancer, Brain Boy, and Timewalker were all good, but nothing transcendent. I'm not trying to argue or disagree, just curious what you guys see in the guy.
    Good points. From that perspective I actually agree that covers can be important. I just generally do all my research and make a list of what I'm buying before I go to the shop, otherwise I'd walk out much poorer each week, lol. There probably are some books that I picked up because of the covers, but I think I got burned a few times and learned that the story/art inside rarely has much to do with the cover.

Regarding Van Lente, to be honest I haven't read much of his fictional stuff outside of Archer & Armstrong, although his runs on Marvel Zombies were harmless fun, and his Taskmaster miniseries is really quite memorable (that's a pun! anybody?). Action Philosophers and Comic Book Comics are the phenomenal works that jump out to me.

As a kid in the 90's, X-men covers with Andy Kubert, Joe Mad, and Carlos Pacheco are what drew me to the comics. The cartoon was awesome but the comics never interested me until I those covers with such different and cool styles. It wasn't until later that I noticed not all covers matched the interiors and it was a massive disappointment when I thought I was buying a different book. It became a habit of ignoring covers to the point where fast forward to today I pretty much don't even pay attention to them.

And as for Dysart, I do feel that he is beyond criticism when he's working with Valiant. I've read a few issues of Unknown Soldier, and they were pretty good. What else have you read by him, and is there anything I need to check out asap?
    Yeah I don't really dig their other stuff as much but Every thing they've done for Valiant has been aces in my book. So if they have anything with VEI, I'm guaranteed to love it.

Well part of my hatred comes from admittedly personal and biased reasons. Back when IDW was publishing Angel: After The Fall (essentially, Angel Season 6), they decided to replace one of the greatest comic artists (Franco Urru) I've ever seen, who captured the essence of Angel perfectly, with Stephen Mooney. They favored getting the book out fast, every month, rather than focusing on making one big, cohesive story. So after the dust settled, I'm left with one of the best Whedonverse runs ever, that is tarnished from only letting Urru do half of the story. Yea, as you can see, I'm still a little salty. So there's my subjective complaint...
    Objectively, I think he sucks. Everything feels so bland and lifeless. People don't tend to feel real, and have actual proportions. His shadow and lighting work is just horrendous and embarrassing. He overcompensates with excessive lines and blackness that doesn't add anything to facial expressions. Everything looks very pastel-y and claylike. His action scenes never feel realistic, they just feel like two stick figures mushing together. Everytime I see some artwork that I actually enjoy (like this), after looking at it for a few days, it just turns into mush and an endless sea of boring.
    Ugh, that was hard. I'm awful at critiquing art, but I tried my best. My point is that I entirely disagree with you and I hate him and he sucks.
    Wow I had a similar experience with Paul Pelletier's work. Big Exiles fan and when he took over, his art almost ruined Exiles for me. Now every time I see his name pop up I try to avoid him like the plague.
    I'm a freedom fighter
    I drink apple cider

Incredible Member

Dinesh is hinting at more War Mother along the way. Flashed a new Cary Nord cover featuring Ana on Twitter and rhetorically asks how there can be a new cover if the issue already came out. That joker!

Archer & Armstrong / Bloodshot USA / Divinity III / Faith / Generation Zero / Harbinger: Renegade / Ninjak / Savage

Anxiously awaiting: Bloodshot: Salvation / Britannia II / Harbinger Wars 2 / Psi-Lords / Secret Weapons / Shadowman / War Mother / X-O Manowar

BANNED

GOOD. I just read the War Mother one-shot today and pretty much loved it. I'm definitely onboard for more.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by ksbord View Post
    Dinesh is hinting at more War Mother along the way. Flashed a new Cary Nord cover featuring Ana on Twitter and rhetorically asks how there can be a new cover if the issue already came out. That joker!
    I hope it's a new series and not just a 2nd printing.

Incredible Member

Fabulous start to the Fist and Steel arc of Ninjak. I love seeing glimpses into the future of the Valiant U. and this one did not disappoint. And the way things are all tied back to previous arcs. Great story telling by Kindt!

Only downside... Evans art... a bit of yikes there, especially Gilad's face. It looks like it's melting in a couple of frames.

Quote Originally Posted by ksbord View Post
    Fabulous start to the Fist and Steel arc of Ninjak. I love seeing glimpses into the future of the Valiant U. and this one did not disappoint. And the way things are all tied back to previous arcs. Great story telling by Kindt!

Only downside... Evans art... a bit of yikes there, especially Gilad's face. It looks like it's melting in a couple of frames.
    I have to agree. This was a good issue.

I was all over the place on the art. It did a fine job of conveying the action though. Gilad with the grenade to the mouth was way cool. I really like Colin's black suit and purple tie look but Gilad's face seemed off and never looked the same twice. I did like the environment art. It's the characters. I mean man, he made Roku not look sexy on the intro page but instead like Old Arnold Schwartzenegger balded, suddenly grew flat boobs, and put on tights.

The story was interesting as it was a little window into Valiant's future. I want to read the Buckingham Papers on wiki leaks. I really liked the flash back section this month and Brittania intro. I am still thinking about it all.
    Last edited by Inhuman X; 08-10-2016 at 10:55 AM.
    My Monthly Pulls - DC: Waiting for Deathstroke and Vigilante. Marvel: Moon Knight. The Vision, Waiting for Solo. Valiant: Bloodshot Reborn, Ninjak, Divinity III Stalinverse, Bloodshot USA event, Waiting for PSI Lords. Why aren't you reading Valiant and other Indies too?

Damn you guys are making me excited. I've been digging Ninjak pretty hard the last few months so this is great news. I tend to like Khari Evans' work, even though the faces can be a little funky, so I'm totally down for this arc.

On the other hand, I'm a little nervous that you guys haven't said anything about A&A. I adored issue 5, so I've got pretty high hopes. Is anyone else still reading it?
    Valiant- X-O Manowar / Bloodshot Salvation / Ninja-K / Quantum and Woody! / Shadowman / Harbinger Wars II / Brittania
    DC- Justice League / Hal Jordan and the GLC / The Flash / Aquaman / Mera / Mister Miracle / Silencer / The Terrifics
    Other- The Walking Dead / Mighty Morphin Power Rangers / Go Go Power Rangers