Page 283 of 400 FirstFirst ... 183233273279280281282283284285286287293333383 ... LastLast
Results 4,231 to 4,245 of 6000

I have been really busy lately, plus having a nasty cold, so I haven't been able to read much but I have managed to get 13 issues into X-O Manowar and I am totally in love with it. I loved the intro/cameo of Ninjak and really like how some of the Vine are actually on Aric's side. Can't wait to get further into the universe.

Although I do have one question. How is the quality of the universe line wide? I do understand some things will be better than others but just wonder how the line wide quality is.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Vericc View Post
    Anyway I read 4001 Ad #1 and really enjoyed it although I didn't understand half of what was going on My mail didn't arrive today so once I get X-O Manowar it might make a bit more sense. What time is the current universe set in? Modern day? If so, is all of the Rai series set in the future and therefore doesn't have any interactions with other characters?
    As Ferg said, the modern day universe is set in the now, basically starting at the same time the line relaunched in 2012 and going forward.

I think it would be totally appropriate to say part of the fun of the Valiant Universe isn't that future interacts with the present day (thought that has happened <cough>The Valiant/Book of Death<sneeze>), but finding out how the present day has gone on to shape the future of 4001 AD.

As to interacting with other characters... well, that would be spoilers, but you have already seen one in what you've read so far - The Immortal Fist and Steel of the Earth... Gilad Anni-Pada, the Eternal Warrior!
    I read Valiant Comics, and you should too!

Archer & Armstrong / Bloodshot USA / Divinity III / Faith / Generation Zero / Harbinger: Renegade / Ninjak / Savage

Anxiously awaiting: Bloodshot: Salvation / Britannia II / Harbinger Wars 2 / Psi-Lords / Secret Weapons / Shadowman / War Mother / X-O Manowar

Seriously, why aren't you reading Valiant Comics?

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Lindsey View Post
    I have been really busy lately, plus having a nasty cold, so I haven't been able to read much but I have managed to get 13 issues into X-O Manowar and I am totally in love with it. I loved the intro/cameo of Ninjak and really like how some of the Vine are actually on Aric's side. Can't wait to get further into the universe.

Although I do have one question. How is the quality of the universe line wide? I do understand some things will be better than others but just wonder how the line wide quality is.
    Glad to hear you're enjoying what you've read so far, Lindsey! A whole universe awaits your discovery!

I think it's safe to say that X-O is a good representation of the overall quality of the line. For sure, Valiant has had some stinkers, but I think those have thankfully been few and far between. The Shadowman series was very contentious in quality, representing some of the best and worst Valiant has put out. The first arc of the first Eternal Warrior series bordered on nonsense. And let's not even get in the Dead Drop miniseries. On the flip side, you have the likes of Harbinger (a modern day classic), Archer & Armstrong (a Fred Van Lente masterpiece), Ivar Timewalker (FVL masterpiece part deux), Rai, Divinity... I could go on...

Archer & Armstrong / Bloodshot USA / Divinity III / Faith / Generation Zero / Harbinger: Renegade / Ninjak / Savage

Anxiously awaiting: Bloodshot: Salvation / Britannia II / Harbinger Wars 2 / Psi-Lords / Secret Weapons / Shadowman / War Mother / X-O Manowar

It's pretty stellar overall. In fact, that's basically the entire reason I read Valiant. I'm (for the most part) guarantee 8-10 good comics each month. There has been some crap for sure, but the good far outweighs the bad. Here's my super rough rankings:

5/5:
    Harbinger
    Archer & Armstrong
    Harbinger Wars
    The Valiant
    Divinity
    Imperium
    Bloodshot Reborn

4/5:
    X-O Manowar
    Rai
    Armor Hunters
    Ivar, Timewalker
    Ninjak
    Book of Death
    Wrath of the Eternal Warrior
    Faith
    4001 AD

3/5:
    Bloodshot
    Quantum & Woody
    Unity
    Dr. Mirage
    The Delinquents

2/5:
    Shadowman
    Eternal Warrior
    A&A: The Adventures of Archer & Armstrong (the jury's still out on this one)

1/5:
    Dead Drop
    Last edited by TheFerg714; 08-13-2016 at 06:28 AM.
    Valiant- X-O Manowar / Bloodshot Salvation / Ninja-K / Quantum and Woody! / Shadowman / Harbinger Wars II / Brittania
    DC- Justice League / Hal Jordan and the GLC / The Flash / Aquaman / Mera / Mister Miracle / Silencer / The Terrifics
    Other- The Walking Dead / Mighty Morphin Power Rangers / Go Go Power Rangers

Mighty Member

I can see why you don't like A&A. Despite it's slow upward climb, it's more Quantum and Woody than Archer and Armstrong. I'll follow your lead.

5/5:
    Harbinger (Including Harbinger Wars here)
    Archer & Armstrong
    The Valiant
    X-O Manowar (including Unity's first arc and Armor Hunters here)

4.5/5
    Imperium
    Bloodshot Reborn

4/5:
    Ivar, Timewalker
    Bloodshot (and also including Harbinger Wars here)
    Quantum and Woody
    Quantum and Woody Must Die
    Doctor Mirage
    Doctor Mirage Second Lives

3.5/5
    Bloodshot and H.A.R.D. Corps
    The Delinquents
    Shadowman (1st run)
    Divinity

3/5:
    Book of Death
    Rai
    4001 AD
    Divinity II

2.5/5

2/5:
    Ninjak
    Shadowman (Peter Milligan's run)
    Unity (everything after the first arc)
    Eternal Warrior

1/5:
    Dead Drop
    Last edited by scribbleMind; 08-13-2016 at 09:09 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by scribbleMind View Post
    I can see why you don't like A&A. Despite it's slow upward climb, it's more Quantum and Woody than Archer and Armstrong. I'll follow your lead.
    Well first of all, I don't hate A&A. I'm getting very close to hating it, but right now, I'm just ambivalent toward it. Issue 5 was phenomenal, but everything else has been very underwhelming. I liked how Chris from the VCR podcast put it. He's sick of Armstrong. The guy's an ass, and all he does it force Archer into stupid and pointless situations. Now, this can work sometimes, and can definitely produce laughs, but there needs to be the focus needs to shift to Archer every once in a while. I liked how, in Van Lente's run, Archer was really the crux of the plot. He was what pushed the story forward. Armstrong was just there for laughs, which is exactly how he should be utilized.

Also, while I disagree on your specific rankings, I like how you split up Unity. Unlike most runs at Valiant, Unity had some pretty drastic shifts in quality when you look at all 25 issues. I think I would rank them like this:

5/5:
    Vol. 1- To Kill a King
    4/5:
    Vol. 4- The United
    Vol. 5- Homefront
    3/5:
    Vol. 2- Trapped by Webnet
    Vol. 3- Armor Hunters (need to reread)
    2/5:
    Issue #0
    1/5:
    Vol. 6- The War-Monger
    Vol. 7- Revenge of the Armor Hunters
    Issue #25
    Valiant- X-O Manowar / Bloodshot Salvation / Ninja-K / Quantum and Woody! / Shadowman / Harbinger Wars II / Brittania
    DC- Justice League / Hal Jordan and the GLC / The Flash / Aquaman / Mera / Mister Miracle / Silencer / The Terrifics

Fantastic Member

Sure, Why not? (keep in mind, this is only the stuff I've actually read, so forgive the things not on here)

5/5

Harbinger
    Harbinger Wars
    Unity Vol. 1
    Divinity
    Archer & Armstrong
    War Mother
    Book of Death: Fall of Harbinger

4/4

Imperium (first half was great. The Vine arc was decent. Stormbreak could've been great, but Khari Evans' art really harmed it)
    Bloodshot Reborn
    The Valiant
    Faith
    Armor Hunters
    Armor Hunters: Harbinger
    Divinity II
    Doctor Mirage

3/5

X-O Manowar (closer to 3.5/5 really. Some arcs great, but then you also have the Armorines arc)
    A&A: The Adventures of Archer & Armstrong (I love David Lafuente's art, but the writing isn't there occasionally)
    Ninjak
    Rai
    4001 A.D.
    Quantum & Woody
    Book of Death

2/5

The Delinquents (you figure this crossover would be a slam dunk. Two writers that are funny with good characters and art. But no)
    Shadowman (Sad. Had loads of potential.)
    Unity (Up til Armor Hunters was real good but it lost itself hard)

1/5

Dead Drop (The only book I dropped that didn't have to do with financial reasons)
    Last edited by Knight of DC; 08-13-2016 at 05:40 PM.

Glad to hear your enjoying X-O. Venditti did a great job building this side of the VEI universe and created plenty of cool characters that can be used farther down the line.
    Quote Originally Posted by TheFerg714 View Post
    It's pretty stellar overall. In fact, that's basically the entire reason I read Valiant. I'm (for the most part) guarantee 8-10 good comics each month. There has been some crap for sure, but the good far outweighs the bad. Here's my super rough rankings:

5/5:
    Harbinger
    Archer & Armstrong
    Harbinger Wars
    The Valiant
    Divinity
    Imperium
    Bloodshot Reborn

4/5:
    X-O Manowar
    Rai
    Armor Hunters
    Ivar, Timewalker
    Ninjak
    Book of Death
    Faith
    4001 AD

3/5:
    Bloodshot
    Quantum & Woody
    Unity
    Dr. Mirage
    The Delinquents

2/5:
    Shadowman
    Eternal Warrior

1/5:
    Dead Drop
    I agree with pretty much all of this except I would put Armor Hunters in the 5 spot. With the exception of the Bloodshot tie-ins I would this damn near perfect and one of my favorite events.
    Quote Originally Posted by Knight of DC View Post
    Sure, Why not? (keep in mind, this is only the stuff I've actually read, so forgive the things not on here)

X-O Manowar (closer to 3.5/5 really. Some arcs great, but then you also have the Armorines arc)
    Feel the same way.
    I'm a freedom fighter
    I drink apple cider

Fuutre Instigator kinggirlfriend's Avatar

Hey guys, been slowly reading some stuff.

Reread DOCTOR MIRAGE Vol 1: Played much better on reread. Definitely something one has to be in the mood for, unlike say ARCHER & ARMSTRONG which will win you over regardless. But worth if you're in the right mind.

UNITY Vol 3: This was certainly lackluster. The highlight was the origin of GN-GR. That was great and should have been expanded even further, IMO. But the rest felt like filler.

X-O Vol 2-3: Ok, I'm a serious fan of X-O now! I also picked up Vol 4. I'm just tearing through this series.

There's so much I haven't read but I rate what I have read thusly:

5/5
    Archer & Armstrong Vol. 1-7
    Ivar, Timewalker Vol. 1-3
    Wrath of Eternal Warrior Vol. 1
    Divinity Vol. 1
    Shadowman# 0, 10
    Unity Vol. 1
    X-O Vol 1-3
    Armor Hunters

4/5
    The Valiant
    Ninjak Vol. 1-3
    Bloodshot Reborn Vol. 1-3
    Dr Mirage Vol. 1-2

3/5
    Unity Vol. 2-3
    Eternal Warrior Vol. 2
    Eternal Warrior Days of Steel
    Book of Death
    Punk Mambo #0
    Last edited by kinggirlfriend; 08-14-2016 at 11:07 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by harashkupo View Post
    I agree with pretty much all of this except I would put Armor Hunters in the 5 spot. With the exception of the Bloodshot tie-ins I would this damn near perfect and one of my favorite events.
    Quote Originally Posted by kinggirlfriend View Post
    UNITY Vol 3: This was certainly lackluster. The highlight was the origin of GN-GR. That was great and should have been expanded even further, IMO. But the rest felt like filler.
    After only 2 years of waiting, I finally bought the Deluxe Edition of Armor Hunters! I've already read it once, while it was coming out, and I'm planning on rereading the entire Valiant U pretty soon, in order of release, so this time I'm separating each series and seeing how well they hold up on their own.
    The main mini was just about as great as I remember it. Pro: I didn't feel Aric's absence as much as I did on my first read-through. Con: I really did feel like I was missing some story. It didn't necessarily detract from it, because I understand the point of putting Bloodshot vs. Lilt and Ninjak/Gilad vs. hounds in different books, but I definitely felt something missing nonetheless. It really excelled (as Braithwaite and Venditti usually do) at bringing those epic, wide-screen, high-five-your-friends moments: Livewire's devastating initial attack on GIN-GR, Bloodshot and Ninjak's take-down of Quartz and Helix, Aric swooping in at the last second to save Saana, "...Die by the spear!", the entire last issue. Man, I planned on giving it a 4/5, but after writing this, I gotta give it a 5/5.
    Next up is Unity.

Ok, Unity Vol. 3 wasn't great. I would argue that it worked really well as a companion piece to the main series, but it just doesn't work well on it's own. Next up is Bloodshot.. or maybe X-O. Haven't decided.

In other news... I mentioned in my previous post that I would be rereading the entire Valiant U soon. I was planning on reading it month by month, and I can't believe I haven't thought of this before, but would anyone else be interested in joining? We could probably get another stickied thread going. Initially, I was probably gonna stop around the time that Valiant Next started up, because that's when I started reading everything monthly, and they're all pretty fresh in my mind, but I'm down to do something different if someone else has a better idea.

Ok, Unity Vol. 3 wasn't great. I would argue that it worked really well as a companion piece to the main series, but it just doesn't work well on it's own. Next up is Bloodshot.. or maybe X-O. Haven't decided.

In other news... I mentioned in my previous post that I would be rereading the entire Valiant U soon. I was planning on reading it month by month, and I can't believe I haven't thought of this before, but would anyone else be interested in joining? We could probably get another stickied thread going. Initially, I was probably gonna stop around the time that Valiant Next started up, because that's when I started reading everything monthly, and they're all pretty fresh in my mind, but I'm down to do something different if someone else has a better idea.
    Going back through all the older issues sounds cool. Let me know where you're starting at and I'll join in.
    I'm a freedom fighter
    I drink apple cider

Quote Originally Posted by harashkupo View Post
    Going back through all the older issues sounds cool. Let me know where you're starting at and I'll join in.
    Well honestly, I'm not really sure when I'd be starting. I had hoped to get X-O's 2nd Deluxe before jumping in, but I'll go ahead and start without it if everyone else is down and ready.

Incredible Member

Well honestly, I'm not really sure when I'd be starting. I had hoped to get X-O's 2nd Deluxe before jumping in, but I'll go ahead and start without it if everyone else is down and ready.
    I'd be down, but curious to know how this would work. Never done something like this before.

Quote Originally Posted by ksbord View Post
    I'd be down, but curious to know how this would work. Never done something like this before.
    My initial plan was to read a month's books every week. So first week would be X-O #1. Second week: X-O 2 and Harbinger 1. Third week: X-O 3, Harbinger 2, and Bloodshot 1... and so on. I think once we get to 7-8 books a month we could split the month in half. I made this geeky chart for myself, but I'm sure it would work for us too.
    Screenshot (2).jpg