Page 325 of 400 FirstFirst ... 225275315321322323324325326327328329335375 ... LastLast
Results 4,861 to 4,875 of 6000
    Fuutre Instigator kinggirlfriend's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by ian0delond View Post
    June 2017 solicitations.
    Small month once again.
    Weird not having even having a Ninjak issue.
    And their only ongoing with no foreseeable expiration date isn't even released yet.
    I think RAPTURE is a side Ninjak mini the same way BLOODSHOT USA continued that character. But yeah, really sparse solicitations. One series ending, a single one-shot and a handful of mini series. I appreciate that Valiant paces itself and doesn't flood the market but they could use a couple ongoing series.

Quote Originally Posted by TheFerg714 View Post

Yea, it's slightly disappointing. I'll be getting everything though, and it all looks pretty great. Is anyone else doing the preorders?
    I did not took the X-O bundle, but if people like it I will take the Secret Weapon
    So with Secret Weapon I am just going to have X-O and Britannia.

Well I'm truly glad you liked it, but I couldn't stand that series. I'll take Harbinger Wars and Armor Hunters: Harbinger as my official Gen. Zero stories.
    Did you read it all the way to the end or did you drop it part way? Just curious what your thoughts are. I had no plans on getting it, but I did really really like the Harbinger: Armor Wars mini and liked the characters so I figured may as well give it a shot.

VALIANT HIGH looks fun but I don't do digital. I hope they print it eventually.

Quote Originally Posted by ian0delond View Post
    I did not took the X-O bundle, but if people like it I will take the Secret Weapon
    So with Secret Weapon I am just going to have X-O and Britannia.
    I already preordered 1-3, and depending on the quality of X-O 1, I'll probably pre-order 4-9 as well. I'm not so sure about Secret Weapons, but I feel like I might as well.
    I'm actually super excited for everything on the bill for June. Rapture, Faith, and Rai all look fantastic as well. To be honest, I'm starting to not mind having only 6 books a month. It fills up a few spots that I can use on DC while still giving me the best superhero comics of any given month.

Quote Originally Posted by kinggirlfriend View Post
    Did you read it all the way to the end or did you drop it part way? Just curious what your thoughts are. I had no plans on getting it, but I did really really like the Harbinger: Armor Wars mini and liked the characters so I figured may as well give it a shot.

VALIANT HIGH looks fun but I don't do digital. I hope they print it eventually.
    Yea, I read the first arc, and pretty much hated it... There were definitely positives, but overall I just felt it was way too juvenile for characters like Cronus and Animalia. The heroscape, corner men, teen "activists," a technologically advanced town with a big mystery that took way too long to come to fruition... I just couldn't get behind any of it. Gen. Zero deserves a hardened, serious story like what Dysart wanted for them. I'm not hating on the direction Valiant's taking Dysart's properties (Renegade and Faith are great), but in this case, I think they should've stuck with Dysart's vision for sure.
    EDIT: I will be reading the next arc at some point. I'm waiting to get it half off in a few months.

Valiant High was awesome! I can't wait for tomorrow's issue, and I'm hoping they'll release a trade in the future too.
    Last edited by TheFerg714; 03-21-2017 at 07:40 PM.
    Valiant- X-O Manowar / Bloodshot Salvation / Ninja-K / Quantum and Woody! / Shadowman / Harbinger Wars II / Brittania
    DC- Justice League / Hal Jordan and the GLC / The Flash / Aquaman / Mera / Mister Miracle / Silencer / The Terrifics
    Other- The Walking Dead / Mighty Morphin Power Rangers / Go Go Power Rangers

...., I think they should've stuck with Dysart's vision for sure.
    Oh sure I get it. I trade wait so I haven't gotten around to the new RENEGADES yet and I'm still on the fence. Nothing I've seen has made me want to read it. Reading your guys's thoughts on it haven't warmed me up either. Dysart's vision and execution is so perfect. The teaser image for the MASSACRE arc has me excited to see that they are finally getting back around to the IMPERIUM characters, but I'm worried that it won't be up to the quality of what came before. Derrick Robertson's art is good but doesn't thrill me. I'm sure I will get it when I'm bored one day, but I know what you mean. Dysart set the bar too damn high. I liked GEN ZERO for being light entertainment but I initially avoided it exactly because of the reasons you said.

Quote Originally Posted by kinggirlfriend View Post
    Oh sure I get it. I trade wait so I haven't gotten around to the new RENEGADES yet and I'm still on the fence. Nothing I've seen has made me want to read it. Reading your guys's thoughts on it haven't warmed me up either. Dysart's vision and execution is so perfect. The teaser image for the MASSACRE arc has me excited to see that they are finally getting back around to the IMPERIUM characters, but I'm worried that it won't be up to the quality of what came before. Derrick Robertson's art is good but doesn't thrill me. I'm sure I will get it when I'm bored one day, but I know what you mean. Dysart set the bar too damn high. I liked GEN ZERO for being light entertainment but I initially avoided it exactly because of the reasons you said.
    Eh, I've actually really enjoyed Renegade. Obviously, I think Dysart would've done a better successor to Harbinger, but it's good regardless. I'm not the biggest fan of the art style, but it fits well with the story, kind of like Khari Evans on Harbinger. You just have to keep in my mind that Renegade is much more focused on plot than characters. Roberts kind of takes the established, developed characters from Dysart's run and does fun things with them. I can't wait for the next arc, especially if that means we get one step closer to Dysart coming back for something.
    Valiant- X-O Manowar / Bloodshot Salvation / Ninja-K / Quantum and Woody! / Shadowman / Harbinger Wars II / Brittania
    DC- Justice League / Hal Jordan and the GLC / The Flash / Aquaman / Mera / Mister Miracle / Silencer / The Terrifics

I already preordered 1-3, and depending on the quality of X-O 1, I'll probably pre-order 4-9 as well. I'm not so sure about Secret Weapons, but I feel like I might as well.
    I'm actually super excited for everything on the bill for June. Rapture, Faith, and Rai all look fantastic as well. To be honest, I'm starting to not mind having only 6 books a month. It fills up a few spots that I can use on DC while still giving me the best superhero comics of any given month.

Yea, I read the first arc, and pretty much hated it... There were definitely positives, but overall I just felt it was way too juvenile for characters like Cronus and Animalia. The heroscape, corner men, teen "activists," a technologically advanced town with a big mystery that took way too long to come to fruition... I just couldn't get behind any of it. Gen. Zero deserves a hardened, serious story like what Dysart wanted for them. I'm not hating on the direction Valiant's taking Dysart's properties (Renegade and Faith are great), but in this case, I think they should've stuck with Dysart's vision for sure.
    EDIT: I will be reading the next arc at some point. I'm waiting to get it half off in a few months.

Valiant High was awesome! I can't wait for tomorrow's issue, and I'm hoping they'll release a trade in the future too.
    What was Dysart's vision for Gen zero?

Quote Originally Posted by the illustrious mr. kenway View Post
    What was Dysart's vision for Gen zero?
    Dark, adult, militarized, philosophical, serious, kids that have grown up so fast, etc.

Mighty Member

I wouldn't let Ferg's harsh criticism of the book get you down, tho. I think the biggest rule in critiquing is to criticize the content that's there and get over what you want it to be, which can be incredibly difficult, I know, and I think it's something everyone is guilty of. S'why I didn't watch Man of Steel or BvS, I just lucked out in that they were both genuinely mediocre/crappy films in their own right.

Speaking of criticism, I want to hear thoughts on the new X-O. When it comes Kindt I think his lows are low and his highs are only pretty good, but I'm willing to give him a real shot if it means more X-O...with some convincing...

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by the illustrious mr. kenway View Post
    I bought the Archer and Armstrong tie-in for Divinity and I thought it was a good read (albeit a quick one).
    Yeah, I really liked that. I thought it delved into unexpected territory with them [SPOILER?] never really becoming a team, as well as that twist at the end; maybe a bit out of character for Armstrong but it's an alternate-universe story, so go for it.

Quote Originally Posted by scribbleMind View Post
    I wouldn't let Ferg's harsh criticism of the book get you down, tho. I think the biggest rule in critiquing is to criticize the content that's there and get over what you want it to be, which can be incredibly difficult, I know, and I think it's something everyone is guilty of. S'why I didn't watch Man of Steel or BvS, I just lucked out in that they were both genuinely mediocre/crappy films in their own right.
    I know I took a lot of Dysart baggage into Gen. Zero, but that's not the reason I didn't like it. The tone and direction didn't fit the characters in my opinion... Faith works because it's light and fun like the character. A+A (should have) worked because the characters are inherently goofy. Renegade worked because it kept that dark edge from the previous series. I just don't think the "heroes" of Gen. Zero deserved a silly, high-school action/comedy.

Speaking of criticism, I want to hear thoughts on the new X-O. When it comes Kindt I think his lows are low and his highs are only pretty good, but I'm willing to give him a real shot if it means more X-O...with some convincing...
    I read this week's books! The only reason I've been taking so long to reply is because I really don't have anything interesting to add... My only thought is that I thought it was pretty incredible. The hype is real folks. I'm slightly nervous that Venditti's run might be forgotten, but I think Kindt has a grand plan to tell us every bit that lead to Aric leaving Earth, and how he eventually gets back. The art was mindblowing. Choosing a relative newcomer to start the series off was a genius decision. It'll give the future artists a slightly different approach so the book doesn't look like anything else Valiant has done, and it's just nice to see Valiant give someone new a shot after recruiting Kindt for the 80th time in a row. Aric was a complete badass and I cannot wait to learn more about him and Shanhara's relationship. 5/5.
    Bloodshot Reborn 0 was good. It's really just a transitionary issue between Reborn and Salvation. 4/5.
    I haven't read Valiant High yet, but it's downloaded.

Mighty Member

I know I took a lot of Dysart baggage into Gen. Zero, but that's not the reason I didn't like it. The tone and direction didn't fit the characters in my opinion... Faith works because it's light and fun like the character. A+A (should have) worked because the characters are inherently goofy. Renegade worked because it kept that dark edge from the previous series. I just don't think the "heroes" of Gen. Zero deserved a silly, high-school action/comedy.
    This is true. It's also the main conceit of the book. It's Pleasantville, but instead of modern teenagers going into Leave It to Beaver it's super serious militaristic teenagers showing up in an Archie book that's being run by monsters. I will say that a good thing on everyone's part is that it doesn't change the characters that much, they still have to be those hardcore rebels in order for the premise to work. The biggest difference will be that Cronus has grown a little softer, but not so much that his future interpretations will be all that different from his past.

I read this week's books! The only reason I've been taking so long to reply is because I really don't have anything interesting to add... My only thought is that I thought it was pretty incredible. The hype is real folks. I'm slightly nervous that Venditti's run might be forgotten, but I think Kindt has a grand plan to tell us every bit that lead to Aric leaving Earth, and how he eventually gets back. The art was mindblowing. Choosing a relative newcomer to start the series off was a genius decision. It'll give the future artists a slightly different approach so the book doesn't look like anything else Valiant has done, and it's just nice to see Valiant give someone new a shot after recruiting Kindt for the 80th time in a row. Aric was a complete badass and I cannot wait to learn more about him and Shanhara's relationship. 5/5.
    Bloodshot Reborn 0 was good. It's really just a transitionary issue between Reborn and Salvation. 4/5.
    I haven't read Valiant High yet, but it's downloaded.
    Sold!

This is true. It's also the main conceit of the book. It's Pleasantville, but instead of modern teenagers going into Leave It to Beaver it's super serious militaristic teenagers showing up in an Archie book that's being run by monsters. I will say that a good thing on everyone's part is that it doesn't change the characters that much, they still have to be those hardcore rebels in order for the premise to work. The biggest difference will be that Cronus has grown a little softer, but not so much that his future interpretations will be all that different from his past.
    I appreciate that someone enjoyed the book, but I hate the idea of Gen. Zero meets Archie. It's for sure not the worst idea in the world; I actually enjoyed the first issue when it first came out, but the series could've gone ANYWHERE.

Mighty Member

Nothing is stopping them from going anywhere. The fact that they ended up where they ended up is the result of them going anywhere. Thus is comics. Actually, in relation to what you said about Valiant in the solicits thread about what happens to most comics these days, I think there was a time where I was pretty hard on Valiant as a whole. I looked back at my posts at one point and I thought I had a stronger sense of entitlement that I didn't really have with other comic book companies. I realized that's because early Valiant was SO good. Everything knocked it out of the park, then as time went on, yeah, they kind of fell into what happens to most comic companies. Once I knocked my expectations down to DC or Marvel level, I was able to look at Valiant with more optimism. None of that has anything to do with you or your relation to Gen Zero. It's just been something I've been meaning to get off my chest for a while, a somewhat public apology for my salty period.

Speaking of optimism, X-O Manowar did indeed disappoint, but only because I wanted to see that woman's tail. She said she had one, I was looking for it, I didn't find it. There doesn't even seem to be enough room in what she was wearing later to hide a tail. WHERE IS IT, KINDT!? WHERE'S THE TAIL!? Other than that, what an impressive issue! I mean, Alric grew to be pretty smart, but this was Gilad level tactics. Slightly iffy on Shanhara speaking out loud because that's such a common troupe right now. It would actually be kind of cool if it was Shanhara the girl speaking through the armor, and that might be the case, but I'm pretty sure this is "I'm going to take over your brain" Shanhara. Curiosity, did the armor talk in the original X-O?

Bloodshot 0 is a good setup issue, but again, I gotta bring up Gilad. Definitely waiting for him and Kay to meet up again, Archer and Armstrong too. Ol' bubbly Kate is now Nano Manowar. Of course I have to be nitpicky about something. PRS was a diabolical organization, but it also represented a understandable desire to stand against psiots. They are kind of Earth's only defense against Harada and his creepy forces of evil. What they're setting up, and I admit this might be due to this guy's ground up meat face, feels like it might lack that balance, which might make them come off as a little too "Mwahaha! I stomp puppies for money."

Nothing is stopping them from going anywhere. The fact that they ended up where they ended up is the result of them going anywhere. Thus is comics.
    My point is they could've went anywhere besides Riverdale. The world was open with possibilities for Gen. Zero and Fred Van Lente and Valiant chose high school. Again, that's not an altogether bad decision, just one that makes me not care.

Actually, in relation to what you said about Valiant in the solicits thread about what happens to most comics these days, I think there was a time where I was pretty hard on Valiant as a whole. I looked back at my posts at one point and I thought I had a stronger sense of entitlement that I didn't really have with other comic book companies. I realized that's because early Valiant was SO good. Everything knocked it out of the park, then as time went on, yeah, they kind of fell into what happens to most comic companies. Once I knocked my expectations down to DC or Marvel level, I was able to look at Valiant with more optimism. None of that has anything to do with you or your relation to Gen Zero. It's just been something I've been meaning to get off my chest for a while, a somewhat public apology for my salty period.
    Well if it helps at all, I never really tasted saltiness on your past posts. You just had a high bar for Valiant, which they deserve. I view them as a direct competitor to Marvel and DC (as far as quality; obviously they'll never make as much money), but I admittedly do judge them pretty harshly. I feel that's fair due to the amount of time and money I invest into them. I want an above average product guaranteed every month, and I know they can do that because they do it all the time.

Speaking of optimism, X-O Manowar did indeed disappoint, but only because I wanted to see that woman's tail. She said she had one, I was looking for it, I didn't find it. There doesn't even seem to be enough room in what she was wearing later to hide a tail. WHERE IS IT, KINDT!? WHERE'S THE TAIL!? Other than that, what an impressive issue! I mean, Alric grew to be pretty smart, but this was Gilad level tactics. Slightly iffy on Shanhara speaking out loud because that's such a common troupe right now. It would actually be kind of cool if it was Shanhara the girl speaking through the armor, and that might be the case, but I'm pretty sure this is "I'm going to take over your brain" Shanhara. Curiosity, did the armor talk in the original X-O?
    Oh man, after I read that first sentence I got really scared that I might've been blinded by the hype, but phew, ok I'm not crazy. That 'tail' part was dirty. Reminded me of Avatar. I really have no idea what kind of Shanhara Aric's going to have to deal with, but I am just ridiculously excited to learn more. Personally, I think Shanhara speaking was probably a good decision. Clearly this series is going to focus a lot of Aric and Shanhara's relationship. God damn it I'm literally getting goosebumps right now. I think this may be the best #1 since The Valiant.

Bloodshot 0 is a good setup issue, but again, I gotta bring up Gilad. Definitely waiting for him and Kay to meet up again, Archer and Armstrong too. Ol' bubbly Kate is now Nano Manowar. Of course I have to be nitpicky about something. PRS was a diabolical organization, but it also represented a understandable desire to stand against psiots. They are kind of Earth's only defense against Harada and his creepy forces of evil. What they're setting up, and I admit this might be due to this guy's ground up meat face, feels like it might lack that balance, which might make them come off as a little too "Mwahaha! I stomp puppies for money."
    Wow I never thought of it that way. Maybe PRS's downfall will have something to do with Renegade Vol. 2. I mean, obviously this is going to have some implications for the HARD Corps spoilers:
    (and the Sect)
    end of spoilers.