Page 353 of 400 FirstFirst ... 253303343349350351352353354355356357363 ... LastLast
Results 5,281 to 5,295 of 6000

Quote Originally Posted by TheFerg714 View Post
    Hey, it's good, and so is 4001. I don't want to sour your opinion of it, I really enjoyed it overall.
    Thanks for the clarification. I'll get right on it.

Have you read Unity #16? Might want to get on that if you're into Gilad. Also, I'm sure you've read most of it, but I posted a list of every Gilad story on another thread a few days ago, if you're interested.
    Yes I read it, I dropped off around issue 23 of Unity.

Nope. Brand new character. Antonius Axia. I guess I should have said the Valiant U's first detective.
    Oh ok, sounds interesting!

Well where the hell can you do that? I know of one store in my city that has 50% off back-issues, and they hardly have any Valiant.

mycomicshop.com

Eh, she's not mine either, but I still would urge you to at least check out an issue. She's a breath of fresh air compared to the rest of the Valiant's edgy and morally-gray heroes. I honestly went into every single issue thinking it would be my last, but it always pleasantly surprised me enough to keep it on my pull (excluding Faith and the Future Force).
    On the fence here, plus I have to catch up with so much I don't think I'll allocate budget to this tbh.

If you would have asked me 6 months ago, I would have said yes, for sure, but now no one really has any idea. Renegade played itself off as a prelude to HW2, but it honestly looks like HW2 is going to be more about Unity and Secret Weapons than everything that's been building up in Renegade.
    Ummmm ok, lets wait and see.

@scribbleMind
    Well said.

Yea, I definitely wasn't trying to scare anyone away from trying Gen. Zero, just telling my personal opinion.

I think you should definitely get a large selection of opinions, see what tends to show up at the top and bottom, and work from there. I don't want anyone to take my opinion as gospel. Both scribbleMind and Captain Craig liked Gen. Zero, and I was the one guy that hated it. All I wanted to make clear was that it had nothing to do with Imperium.
    Fair enough, I know there are few Valiant fans nowadays and even fewer posting in online forums.

Hey everyone.. wasn't sure the best place to ask this. Hope this is alright here. Looking into reading Bloodshot. Punisher, Wolverine, and Deadpool are some of my favorites from the Big 2 and I've been told he's a cross between all of them. I see there are some omnibuses and deluxe hardcovers out there. How are they? I'm a bit of a completist so don't hold back on recommendations haha.

Quote Originally Posted by cc008 View Post
    Hey everyone.. wasn't sure the best place to ask this. Hope this is alright here. Looking into reading Bloodshot. Punisher, Wolverine, and Deadpool are some of my favorites from the Big 2 and I've been told he's a cross between all of them. I see there are some omnibuses and deluxe hardcovers out there. How are they? I'm a bit of a completist so don't hold back on recommendations haha.
    This is definitely the right place! Glad to have you!

So I can't comment on the 90's stuff, but just so you know Bloodshot had a 51-issue series that started in 1993, and another in 1997 (probably for sure don't read that one).

First of all, I don't really think he's anything like Deadpool... He's not funny or quippy. The wittiest he gets is spewing action-movie cliches every once in a while.

Secondly, you've got three(/four) series to choose from:

Bloodshot (2012): This is your basic Bloodshot story. Big action. Big explosions. Big technology. A lot of blood and violence. Bloodshot being a brooding badass. It's written by the underrated Duane Swiercynzski and consists of 13 issues, which fit into 3 tpb's, and is all collected in Bloodshot Deluxe Edition Vol. 1. The third volume ties in to the event, Harbinger Wars, alongside Harbinger. And speaking of.. there's an awesome Compendium coming out this summer the includes Bloodshot 1-13, Harbinger 1-14, and Harbinger Wars 1-4.

Bloodshot and H.A.R.D. Corps: So this is actually a continuation of the 2012 series. It's issues 14-23, to be exact (#24 & 25 goes back to simply 'Bloodshot'). Personally, I don't love it, but the concept of HARD Corps (soldiers who can "download" psiot abilities at will) is cool, and it's leader, Charlie Palmer, is awesome. It's all collected in the second Deluxe Edition, as well as the really good Bloodshot #0 and HARD Corps #0.

Bloodshot Reborn (2015): This one's written by Jeff Lemire, and is really really good. It takes more of an introspective look at Bloodshot, and takes him on some pretty wild adventures. If you were to pick only one, I would probably say you should get this one. It's already collected into two deluxe editions (Vol. 1 and Vol. 2). Also, if you do want to start here, the excellent "self-contained" event, The Valiant, acts as a sort of prelude and is also written by Lemire.
    EDIT: In case you're confused about the numbering, and because I'm bored, here's the complete list:
    Vol. 1- Colorado (1-5)
    Vol. 2- The Hunt (6-9)
    Vol. 3- The Analog Man (10-13) [Annual #1 came out around this time as well, but is just side-stories. It's included in the second deluxe ed.)
    Vol. 4- Bloodshot Island (14-18)
    Bloodshot USA (this is technically volume 5, but they decided to release it as an event)
    Bloodshot Reborn #0 (transitional issue inbetween 'Reborn' and 'Salvation')
    Book of Death: Fall of Bloodshot #1 (this was a one-shot tie-in to Book of Death, chronicling the canonical death of Bloodshot)
    4001 A.D.: Bloodshot #1 (another one-shot tie-in. It's a direct continuation from Fall of Bloodshot)

Bloodshot Salvation (2017): Written by Lemire again. This one just started, so I don't really have much to say about it. If you want to jump in to the current stuff, this is your best bet.

Quote Originally Posted by havok1977 View Post
    Ummmm ok, lets wait and see.
    Yea, HW2 has been... frustrating... I don't think I'm alone when I say I'm nervous about it.
    Last edited by TheFerg714; 04-01-2018 at 01:27 AM.
    Valiant- X-O Manowar / Bloodshot Salvation / Ninja-K / Quantum and Woody! / Shadowman / Harbinger Wars II / Brittania
    DC- Justice League / Hal Jordan and the GLC / The Flash / Aquaman / Mera / Mister Miracle / Silencer / The Terrifics
    Other- The Walking Dead / Mighty Morphin Power Rangers / Go Go Power Rangers

This is definitely the right place! Glad to have you!

So I can't comment on the 90's stuff, but just so you know Bloodshot had a 51-issue series that started in 1993, and another in 1997 (probably for sure don't read that one).

First of all, I don't really think he's anything like Deadpool... He's not funny or quippy. The wittiest he gets is spewing action-movie cliches every once in a while.

Secondly, you've got three(/four) series to choose from:

Bloodshot (2012): This is your basic Bloodshot story. Big action. Big explosions. Big technology. A lot of blood and violence. Bloodshot being a brooding badass. It's written by the underrated Duane Swiercynzski and consists of 13 issues, which fit into 3 tpb's, and is all collected in Bloodshot Deluxe Edition Vol. 1. The third volume ties in to the event, Harbinger Wars, alongside Harbinger. And speaking of.. there's an awesome Compendium coming out this summer the includes Bloodshot 1-13, Harbinger 1-14, and Harbinger Wars 1-4.

Bloodshot and H.A.R.D. Corps: So this is actually a continuation of the 2012 series. It's issues 14-23, to be exact (#24 & 25 goes back to simply 'Bloodshot'). Personally, I don't love it, but the concept of HARD Corps (soldiers who can "download" psiot abilities at will) is cool, and it's leader, Charlie Palmer, is awesome. It's all collected in the second Deluxe Edition, as well as the really good Bloodshot #0 and HARD Corps #0.

Bloodshot Reborn (2015): This one's written by Jeff Lemire, and is really really good. It takes more of an introspective look at Bloodshot, and takes him on some pretty wild adventures. If you were to pick only one, I would probably say you should get this one. It's already collected into two deluxe editions (Vol. 1 and Vol. 2). Also, if you do want to start here, the excellent "self-contained" event, The Valiant, acts as a sort of prelude and is also written by Lemire.
    EDIT: In case you're confused about the numbering, and because I'm bored, here's the complete list:
    Vol. 1- Colorado (1-5)
    Vol. 2- The Hunt (6-9)
    Vol. 3- The Analog Man (10-13) [Annual #1 came out around this time as well, but is just side-stories. It's included in the second deluxe ed.)
    Vol. 4- Bloodshot Island (14-18)
    Bloodshot USA (this is technically volume 5, but they decided to release it as an event)
    Bloodshot Reborn #0 (transitional issue inbetween 'Reborn' and 'Salvation')
    Book of Death: Fall of Bloodshot #1 (this was a one-shot tie-in to Book of Death, chronicling the canonical death of Bloodshot)
    4001 A.D.: Bloodshot #1 (another one-shot tie-in. It's a direct continuation from Fall of Bloodshot)

Bloodshot Salvation (2017): Written by Lemire again. This one just started, so I don't really have much to say about it. If you want to jump in to the current stuff, this is your best bet.

Thank you so much for this! I understand the Deadpool comment. I suppose the relation was meant more in skills and abilities rather than personality. Which I'm totally fine with. I get enough quips from Wade monthly.

I will definitely hold off for the compendium this summer to have the entire story. The sounds really great. But the deluxe editions are really good to know about as well. I'll jump right in to everything tomorrow!

Extraordinary Member Captain Craig's Avatar

Bloodshot shares qualites of Punisher and Wolverine yes. Since Deadpool's personality is his only discernible difference to the others whenever someone mentions him lumped in with the others I think it's fair to assume that that IS the trait they mean, zany antics. Bloodshot/Ray is not about that.

I used a comparison of Jason Bourne earlier in the thread. I feel that narrative point applies to the Bloodshot(s) story. I say multiple cause if you read the character you will realize our current and featured Bloodshot is not the first. Like Wolverine (Weapon X) wasn't the first of that program either.

Also
    Shadowman #1 - not a bad issue. In some ways I felt they rushed his reintroduction. Somewhere in the issue you need to know what Alyssa's ties to Jack are if this is your first reading of the character. A few nuggets are dropped but largely Alyssa is not explained to the reader relating to what her past is/has been with Jack. That she is now a Mambo is a nice character development. The jab at "Punk" was a bit funny in a dour way. I hope we are really going to look into the Loa's history and why it was expelled from the hierarchy, why it has it's anger and if that can be abated allowing Jack to be in control and not poorly influenced. Jack's lack of strong will power is what allowed the Loa and Darque to both manipulate him in the prior volumes. Has he found resolve as Magpie? Has he grown? We shall see and I remain optimistic going into the title.
    Last edited by Captain Craig; 04-03-2018 at 07:08 AM. Reason: Add Shadowman#1 comments
    "Freedom is the right of all sentient beings" - Optimus Prime

I went all in. Bought pretty much all of the deluxe editions for every series. With the exception of volume 1 of the 2012 series because it's out of print and the prices have risen fairly high. Anyone know if it'll get a new printing or a place I could find it for a decent price?

Extraordinary Member Captain Craig's Avatar

I went all in. Bought pretty much all of the deluxe editions for every series. With the exception of volume 1 of the 2012 series because it's out of print and the prices have risen fairly high. Anyone know if it'll get a new printing or a place I could find it for a decent price?
    Valiant has yet to reprint any of the Deluxes...until now.
    They are doing a 'test balloon' with of all titles Quantum and Woody Dlx vol.1 which came out earlier this year.
    The original 2016 cover and the 2018 reprint cover.

Valiant is going to base future reprint plans on how well this first reprint sells.
    Which is frustrating because Q&W isn't that essential to the rest of the VU. It's not a core title that people would be directed to, as noted here. Did anyone say, hey, you need to check out Quantum & Woody as a fair sample of what Valiant has to offer. No, no we didn't nor would anyone trying to steer a new reader to the better offerings.

Q&W is like Faith, more niche and frankly uneven. So choosing that book to base your reprint strategy on seems a miscalculation.
    "Freedom is the right of all sentient beings" - Optimus Prime

Hey well at least they're starting to do it, right? That's good news. I'll keep my fingers crossed the Bloodshot vol 1 is reprinted next because I would really like to have it in that format.

I went all in. Bought pretty much all of the deluxe editions for every series.
    Nice! Make sure to come back and tell us what you think of everything!

Hey well at least they're starting to do it, right? That's good news. I'll keep my fingers crossed the Bloodshot vol 1 is reprinted next because I would really like to have it in that format.
    Your best bet is probably to go hunting at any comic/book store you can find. There's bound to be some store that has it sitting on the shelf, untouched. The second volume of A&A has been sitting in one of my city's comic stores for a couple years now and I'm just waiting for the inevitable sale on FCBD to finally grab it. I'm just crossing my fingers that no one else has the same idea.
    Valiant- X-O Manowar / Bloodshot Salvation / Ninja-K / Quantum and Woody! / Shadowman / Harbinger Wars II / Brittania
    DC- Justice League / Hal Jordan and the GLC / The Flash / Aquaman / Mera / Mister Miracle / Silencer / The Terrifics

Nice! Make sure to come back and tell us what you think of everything!

Your best bet is probably to go hunting at any comic/book store you can find. There's bound to be some store that has it sitting on the shelf, untouched. The second volume of A&A has been sitting in one of my city's comic stores for a couple years now and I'm just waiting for the inevitable sale on FCBD to finally grab it. I'm just crossing my fingers that no one else has the same idea.
    I definitely will! And yeah I'm going to check the few stores near me this weekend.

Since I'm already one foot in the deep end, what about NinjaK? Besides the two deluxe editions for him, are there any other hardcovers out there that I should look for that he's featured in?

Well guys... Valiant is done for. At least... the Valiant we've known and loved since 2012 is done for. Warren Simons just resigned a couple days ago. I'm still not entirely pessimistic, but imo, this makes it official... After HW2, VEI is an entirely different beast altogether. It will no longer be the company we've been propping up for the last few years.

Since I'm already one foot in the deep end, what about NinjaK? Besides the two deluxe editions for him, are there any other hardcovers out there that I should look for that he's featured in?
    Sorry, I had a couple paragraphs typed up, but then my computer froze. Here's a simplified version:
    X-O Manowar Deluxe Edition Vol. 2- This includes Unity's first arc, and Ninjak is super cool in it.
    Armor Hunters Deluxe Edition- This includes Unity's third arc, and Ninjak is super cool in this as well.
    I would recommend against Unity's deluxe, because it only includes Unity's first three arcs, and you'd be double dipping hard if you already get the aforementioned deluxes.
    The Valiant- I know it's starting to get redundant, but just so you know.. Ninjak is a badass in this.

Other notable appearances, in order of release order:
    X-O Manowar Vol. 2- Enter Ninjak
    Unity Vol. 4- The United
    Unity #15 (part of Vol. 5- Homefront)
    Book of Death
    Book of Death: Fall of Ninjak #1 (included in Ninjak deluxe vol. 2)
    X-O Manowar Vol. 11- The Kill List
    Bloodshot USA
    Divinity III: Stalinverse
    Bloodshot Salvation Vol. 1- Book of Revenge
    Ninja-K Vol. 1- The Ninja Files
    Ninja-K #6- The Coalition (comes out Wednesday)
    Harbinger Wars II (starts in May)
    Last edited by TheFerg714; 04-07-2018 at 11:30 PM.

Incredible Member

Well guys... Valiant is done for. At least... the Valiant we've known and loved since 2012 is done for. Warren Simons just resigned a couple days ago. I'm still not entirely pessimistic, but imo, this makes it official... After HW2, VEI is an entirely different beast altogether. It will no longer be the company we've been propping up for the last few years.
    And they put some corporate finance guy (Eric Sullivan) who has zero creative experience to head Valiant. What could go wrong?

Also, good luck with betting it all on a Sony (ugh) movie to get the cinematic universe going. That Bloodshot movie is gonna bomb bad with those idiots involved
    Last edited by Shaggy; 04-07-2018 at 11:56 PM.

Mighty Member

I read recently that they also shortened the non-compete clause on their few exclusive talents, so I'm expecting them to bounce as well. Honestly, Warren Simons is a huge loss having been the one to bring in new talent and allow them to tell their stories. That he outright resigned is a baaaad look. And Eric Sullivan just screams corporate shill, not because he's a bad person, just because of his resume. As mentioned above, he has zero creative experience and so it's clear that's not what they hired him for. I truly do think the golden age of Valiant's rebirth is nearing its end. It makes it twice the shame that it took so long to bring Shadowman back into action.

Sorry, I had a couple paragraphs typed up, but then my computer froze. Here's a simplified version:
    X-O Manowar Deluxe Edition Vol. 2- This includes Unity's first arc, and Ninjak is super cool in it.
    Armor Hunters Deluxe Edition- This includes Unity's third arc, and Ninjak is super cool in this as well.
    I would recommend against Unity's deluxe, because it only includes Unity's first three arcs, and you'd be double dipping hard if you already get the aforementioned deluxes.
    The Valiant- I know it's starting to get redundant, but just so you know.. Ninjak is a badass in this.

Other notable appearances, in order of release order:
    X-O Manowar Vol. 2- Enter Ninjak
    Unity Vol. 4- The United
    Unity #15 (part of Vol. 5- Homefront)
    Book of Death
    Book of Death: Fall of Ninjak #1 (included in Ninjak deluxe vol. 2)
    X-O Manowar Vol. 11- The Kill List
    Bloodshot USA
    Divinity III: Stalinverse
    Bloodshot Salvation Vol. 1- Book of Revenge
    Ninja-K Vol. 1- The Ninja Files
    Ninja-K #6- The Coalition (comes out Wednesday)
    Harbinger Wars II (starts in May)
    Thanks for this! I ended up going with the Unity deluxe edition. Armor Hunters is OOP, and I really want to have everything in Deluxe edition so I went with that option instead.