Page 360 of 400 FirstFirst ... 260310350356357358359360361362363364370 ... LastLast
Results 5,386 to 5,400 of 6000
    Writer At Comic Watch Dylan Davison's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by mrbrklyn View Post
    I think the book is developing a good story line and it has movement.
    Agreed. I think this series has had way more development for Jack and the Loa, so far. I'm enjoying this run a lot and can't wait to read more and see more.
    Pulls:
    Coffin: La Muerta, Lady Death, Hellwitch. Valiant: Shadowman. DC: Poison Ivy.
    Check Out My Comic Reviews And More At Comic Watch!

I think BWS has something to say about it.
    So, what, do you exclusively read Spider-Man comics written by Stan Lee? ...or only Batman comics by Bob Kane and Bill Finger?

Characters change. That's the nature of superheroes and comics.
    Valiant- X-O Manowar / Bloodshot Salvation / Ninja-K / Quantum and Woody! / Shadowman / Harbinger Wars II / Brittania
    DC- Justice League / Hal Jordan and the GLC / The Flash / Aquaman / Mera / Mister Miracle / Silencer / The Terrifics
    Other- The Walking Dead / Mighty Morphin Power Rangers / Go Go Power Rangers

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by TheFerg714 View Post
    So, what, do you exclusively read Spider-Man comics written by Stan Lee? ...or only Batman comics by Bob Kane and Bill Finger?

Characters change. That's the nature of superheroes and comics.

Not always for the better and not usually in such a radical, digressive, counter-productive, imbecilic and boring way. They took a very sophisticated, adult oriented, and special character and turned him into a marauding simpleton designed to entertain the least common denominator of teen readers, and thereby ruining him forever, unless they decide to do away with the canon they created and are stuck with. They had something special created by a genius in BWS and they f**ed it up.

So, the answer to your question of "so what" (sounds like something my kids would say when they get caught with their hands in the cookie jar), is that it saddens me to lose such a special character to a rising tide of philandering to lazy storylines, and dreams of riches, in the false hope that they can capture a raising readership. They could have done something unique and great, and instead they did something mildly entertaining which destroyed the pathway to a better storyline.

That is my opinion.

You are entitled to your opinion but keep the emotional hand waving to yourself.
    Last edited by mrbrklyn; 06-22-2018 at 05:02 AM.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by TheFerg714 View Post
    That's the nature of superheroes and comics.

FWIW - he is not a superhero... or at least he wasn't

Here's an awesome interview with Andy about Shadowman! Also a preview for issue five!

https://graphicpolicy.com/2018/06/21...f-shadowman-5/

Shadowman is back in his own solo series at Valiant and Andy Diggle is in charge writing! The series is a perfect jumping on point for new readers but also has a lot for long time fans of the character as Diggle explores past lives.

We chat with Diggle about the series and have an exclusive look at Shadowman #5 out July 18th!

Graphic Policy: How did you come on board to write Shadowman and who is the character to you? How familiar with the character were you before?

Andy Diggle: The short answer is, they asked! I’d actually been invited to write something else for Valiant previously, but in the end I decided I wasn’t the right guy for that particular job. But when Shadowman came up, I jumped at the chance. I hadn’t read the original ‘90s run, but I could see what it could be – which elements were core to the character, which elements to jettison, and which new elements to bring in. It just seemed so rich with potential. Shadowman had taken a pretty crooked path by the time I got my hands on him, and I wanted to dust him off and put him back on his feet. Make him a hero again. And I knew I wanted to put voodoo lore back at the centre of the book. Voodoo makes him unique, but somehow it had been lost or diluted along the way.

GP: Do you approach writing Shadowman differently than any of the other characters you’ve handled over the years? Has the voodoo element been an interesting aspect to research?

AD: It’s been fascinating. Voodoo is a rich and complex folk religion and oral tradition, with a great deal of regional variation. So I’ve tried to be respectful of that, while embracing the fact that this is a supernatural action comic, not a history textbook. For me, research is a source of inspiration; a springboard for ideas rather than something to be constrained by.

GP: The fourth issue takes us back to explore the loa’s history, and that of the Shadowman mantle. You’re essentially creating a new mythology here – do you feel any pressure? How do you even start something like that?

GP: We’re really just showing brief snippets of past Shadowmen’s lives – each of them could easily sustain an ongoing series of their own. It’s an education for Jack Boniface, finding out that his predecessors found different ways of dealing with the burden of the shadow loa. Jack’s always been struggling against that burden, and I’d like to see him embrace it as a force for good in the world.

GP: The third issue saw Jack Boniface ending up dead at the hands of (presumably) Baron Samedi, but this being Shadowman and the Deadside, I’m sure there’s more to the death than initially meets the eye. How do you go about avoiding the “Comic Book Death” trope that so many fans claim to be fatigued with?

AD: Travelling to and from the realm of the dead is literally part of Shadowman’s core concept. He guards us from the Deadside, and the ghosts and spirits of the dead have been a part of his world since the very first issue. So it’s not like we’re coming out of nowhere with this. Jack’s voyage through the astral realm to the past lives of his predecessors isn’t accidental. He was sent there, for reasons he will only later come to understand.

GP: When exploring the past incarnations of Shadowman, which was the one you wanted to spend more time with? Any plans for a spin off featuring on or more of those characters?

AD: Marius Boniface – the “first” Shadowman – was the one I couldn’t wait to get ahold of. We learned that Sandria Darque first bound the shadow loa to him in 1865, but what happened next? I was curious about what that would do to their relationship moving forward. How did Marius feel about becoming Shadowman? Did he stay with Sandria? How did he die? It raises all sorts of questions, and we can’t answer all of them in one issue.

GP: You’re working with a lot of great artists on this series; does that impact the way you write your scripts if you want to play to one artist’s strength over another?

AD: I’ve been incredibly lucky to work with such great artists. It always helps to know who’ll be drawing which story, so I can play to their strengths. Fortunately they each have multiple strengths! Stephen Segovia is a master of dynamic action, Shawn Martinbrough literally wrote the book on noir comics, Doug Braithwaite brings a wonderfully soulful, emotional depth to the characters, and Renato Guedes is bringing a beautifully lush, painterly style to the ancient origins of the loa.

GP: The series as a whole has been quite easy for new fans to pick up whilst still building on his previous appearances. How difficult was, or is, that to achieve?

AD: It was planned as a fresh start, but I didn’t want to just throw away the past continuity and start afresh. Ultimately it’s about redeeming Jack and giving him some hope for a better future. All you really need to know is that this guy has a powerful voodoo spirit bound inside him, and he was lost in the land of the dead for a while. Now he’s back!

GP: Dead And Gone has been billed as a new jumping on point for fans. What, if anything, do new readers need to know when they pick up Shadowman #4?

AD: Jack Boniface’s soul has been cast adrift in time. As he falls, he’ll grab onto the past lives of his predecessors and get a glimpse of how they handled being Shadowman.

GP: One of the strengths of the Valiant Universe is that each series can work on their own and are new reader friendly and also come together to build a richer experience. Has it differed for you working in this comic universe than others?

AD: It’s certainly more narratively coherent that some universes I’ve worked in in the past. Valiant editorial have a great sense of story, and they communicate well, so everyone’s on the same page. I can ask specific continuity questions and get specific answers. That gives me a good, solid foundation to build a story on. And ultimately that’s all I really care about. Is it good?

GP: Thanks so much for chatting!
    It's an interesting interview, but the preview for issue five looks amazing!
    Pulls:

Going thru my Valiant catch-up I finally read this run, it was great!

Next up: Rai and 4001 and the later half of Bloodshot reborn.

BANNED

Enjoyed Shadowman #4. I can see where Diggle is going with this now. Hopefully by the end of the first year Jack will master his abilities and become the hero he always could have been.

Extraordinary Member Captain Craig's Avatar

Harbinger Wars #2 - Peter has been captured but before that happens he tussles with Palmer, Aric and Ninjak. Amanda visits Aram(Divinity) to try and convince him to end this before it gets out of hand. He refuses to play god, he doesn't want to be seen as one. Let's her know that mistakes have to be made in order to learn or some such Yoda like reply.
    "Freedom is the right of all sentient beings" - Optimus Prime

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Ying Ko View Post
    Enjoyed Shadowman #4. I can see where Diggle is going with this now. Hopefully by the end of the first year Jack will master his abilities and become the hero he always could have been.
    He has always been somewhat of a tragic victim of a mythological occult power that he can not and never will fully master or control. I mean, that is what makes the character interesting, right? Outcomes aren't a given with him, and he is struggling with himself. The Shadow element is almost like a reflection of himself and that makes the character psychologically complex, and nuanced.

The last thing you want is to have him triumph over the eternal entity of the Shadow beast. You would flatten the character and remove the possibility for heroic growth.

Are there any encyclopedias or handbooks for the Valiant Universe? I’ve been picking up Harbinger, Generation Zero and just recently Quantum and Woody. I’m enjoying it but I want to know all about Valiant. Can anyone direct me?
    Favorite Characters: Wolfsbane, Storm, Psylcoke, Beast, Feral, Tempo, Nightcrawler, Quicksilver

Favorite Titles: X-Men Red, Legion of X, Marauders, Hellions

BANNED

He has always been somewhat of a tragic victim of a mythological occult power that he can not and never will fully master or control. I mean, that is what makes the character interesting, right? Outcomes aren't a given with him, and he is struggling with himself. The Shadow element is almost like a reflection of himself and that makes the character psychologically complex, and nuanced.

The last thing you want is to have him triumph over the eternal entity of the Shadow beast. You would flatten the character and remove the possibility for heroic growth.
    I understand what you're saying.

My point was that I want to see him use his powers better than he has so far (at least in the reboot since 2012 - haven't read most of what came before).

As was pointed out previously in the thread, it gets tiresome to see him lose fight after fight simply because he doesn't appear to have a clue about what he's doing...

Quote Originally Posted by Wolfsbane View Post
    Are there any encyclopedias or handbooks for the Valiant Universe? I’ve been picking up Harbinger, Generation Zero and just recently Quantum and Woody. I’m enjoying it but I want to know all about Valiant. Can anyone direct me?
    Check your LCS there was a handbook that came out around 2016-15.

Hey guys! So I'll be heading to SDCC in two weeks and Valiant's panel is on a day that I got in. I have some Shadowman related questions of my own, but does anyone have any burning questions of their own? I normally like to have a list, just in case my questions get asked. I only have two so far.

Can't wait to see the panel and check out their booth. Hoping to pick up some good stuff and news!
    Pulls:

Quote Originally Posted by Power Torch View Post
    Hey guys! So I'll be heading to SDCC in two weeks and Valiant's panel is on a day that I got in. I have some Shadowman related questions of my own, but does anyone have any burning questions of their own? I normally like to have a list, just in case my questions get asked. I only have two so far.

Can't wait to see the panel and check out their booth. Hoping to pick up some good stuff and news!
    Question: when are we going to see Savage or Rai again ?

Quote Originally Posted by Power Torch View Post

Will Generation Zero continue?
    Favorite Characters: Wolfsbane, Storm, Psylcoke, Beast, Feral, Tempo, Nightcrawler, Quicksilver

Favorite Titles: X-Men Red, Legion of X, Marauders, Hellions