Page 378 of 400 FirstFirst ... 278328368374375376377378379380381382388 ... LastLast
Results 5,656 to 5,670 of 5990
    Astonishing Member

Classic valiant team. Armorines?

Extraordinary Member Captain Craig's Avatar

Secret Weapons is my guess.
    "Freedom is the right of all sentient beings" - Optimus Prime

https://comicbook.com/comics/news/ne...lusive-reveal/
    This interview raises my excitement for the new Harbinger series.

Astonishing Member

Considering hopping onto the new Harbinger book. Looking forward to the idea of a more embracing-Superhero take. Seem like it'll be fun!
    Last edited by J. D. Guy; 10-30-2020 at 04:04 AM.

Writer At Comic Watch Dylan Davison's Avatar

Have we received any news about Shadowman? Was really hoping this next series was meaning that Valiant would finally use him right and make him about of the Universe instead of a separate thing.
    Pulls:
    Coffin: La Muerta, Lady Death, Hellwitch. Valiant: Shadowman. DC: Poison Ivy.
    Check Out My Comic Reviews And More At Comic Watch!

Quote Originally Posted by Power Torch View Post
    Have we received any news about Shadowman? Was really hoping this next series was meaning that Valiant would finally use him right and make him about of the Universe instead of a separate thing.
    They talk about Shadowman and other stuff here, but sadly no dates.

Shadowman returns in April 2021, and a preview for issue one:

Astonishing Member

I hope nobody minds if I hijack this thread for one question. Does anyone know if Gold Key's Magnus Robot Fighter take place in the same continuity as Valliant's Magnus Robot Fighter?

Quote Originally Posted by shooshoomanjoe View Post
    I hope nobody minds if I hijack this thread for one question. Does anyone know if Gold Key's Magnus Robot Fighter take place in the same continuity as Valliant's Magnus Robot Fighter?
    I'm not sure, but the 90's Valiant Magnus (especially under Jim Shooter) reads like a direct continuation to Mannings, Gold Key Magnus stories.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Shadowras View Post
    I'm not sure, but the 90's Valiant Magnus (especially under Jim Shooter) reads like a direct continuation to Mannings, Gold Key Magnus stories.
    Thanks, this is the answer I was looking for.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Power Torch View Post
    While I enjoyed what I read of his most recent series, it always gives me pause when I realize/notice that Shadowman gets the worst treatment of the Valiant heroes.

While some of everyone else gets chance after chance, new series and relaunches after the other, Shadowman gets slept on and passed over. Worse still, writers love to appropriate Shadowman's elements and key aspects and apply them to other characters and stories. Often when this happens, Jack Boniface is nowhere to be found. They seemed to be more willing to use Punk Mombo over Shadowman, not to mention giving Ninjak even more preferential treatment then they already do when they plop down Shadowman elements at his feet along with everything else.

It's kinda... Frustrating. Especially once the pattern became too obvious to ignore or dismiss.
    Last edited by J. D. Guy; 10-30-2020 at 07:42 PM.

Extraordinary Member Captain Craig's Avatar

Anyone else get XO Manowar #2?
    With issue #3 still slated for Dec I'm hoping we can get momentum on the plot. Even if Dennis Hopeless doesn't seem to have Aric or Shanara's voice right.
    The reveal of a Big Tech PR guy wanting to shepherd Aric stinks of a double cross. Also the PR person as ally was just recently done in Livewire so it feels a bit rehash.
    Using the European ethinc groups in a civil war as back drop all just stinks of it seeming like Dennis was re-watching Iron Man(2008) while scripting this.
    "Freedom is the right of all sentient beings" - Optimus Prime

Quote Originally Posted by J. D. Guy View Post
    While I enjoyed what I read of his most recent series, it always gives me pause when I realize/notice that Shadowman gets the worst treatment of the Valiant heroes.

While some of everyone else gets chance after chance, new series and relaunches after the other, Shadowman gets slept on and passed over. Worse still, writers love to appropriate Shadowman's elements and key aspects and apply them to other characters and stories. Often when this happens, Jack Boniface is nowhere to be found. They seemed to be more willing to use Punk Mombo over Shadowman, not to mention giving Ninjak even more preferential treatment then they already do when they plop down Shadowman elements at his feet along with everything else.

It's kinda... Frustrating. Especially once the pattern became too obvious to ignore or dismiss.
    Its a bummer.

Here's hoping the new volume rocks. Personally, I'm hoping for more episodic stories and some unexpected meetings with other Valiant characters. I'm cool with him knowing Dr. Mirage but what is his dynamic with the other characters like?

To me Shadowman's problem is Jack himself. He lacks a strong voice and comes across as generic. His mythos is more interesting than he is so I can see why they don't use him as much.

He's more comparable to Iron Fist than Daredevil. Iron Fist has cooler powers but Daredevil has the stronger more interesting character.

I don't think there's an easy fix to this problem other than just keep trying with him and seeing what works and what doesn't.
    Last edited by the illustrious mr. kenway; 12-05-2020 at 09:25 AM.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by the illustrious mr. kenway View Post
    Its a bummer.

Here's hoping the new volume rocks. Personally, I'm hoping for more episodic stories and some unexpected meetings with other Valiant characters. I'm cool with him knowing Dr. Mirage but what is his dynamic with the other characters like?

To me Shadowman's problem is Jack himself. He lacks a strong voice and comes across as generic. His mythos is more interesting than he is so I can see why they don't use him as much.

He's more comparable to Iron Fist than Daredevil. Iron Fist has cooler powers but Daredevil has the stronger more interesting character.

I don't think there's an easy fix to this problem other than just keep trying with him and seeing what works and what doesn't.
    That's probably what a lot of writers will cite, but I feel that's kinda hogwash, not to mention vague. Character-wise, there's quite a bit that makes Jack interesting, especially when they lean into who he is as a Black creole man, his past, and his legacy. Really, his whole circumstance is compelling, which is what made the last book that explored his historic roots so much fun. I don't agree that Jack's mythos is more interesting than he is, because Jack's presence is what makes the mythos interesting. It's what makes the mythos.

Like, Jack is Valiant's premiere Black male superhero. He's also one of their only 2 Black male superheroes, which is side-eye worthy on its own (Quantum is the other, but kinda lives in his own niche, and feels beholden to/second to Woody). Livewire is the only other fully visible Black Valiant superhero of note, and the only one who's a woman. And I've not heard much with her in it since that last push, either.

So any excuse not to treat Jack Boniface in the elevated fashion they treat X-O Manowar, Bloodshot, Rai, Quantum and Woody (as a unit), and especially Ninjak is Valiant not doing Shadowman justice. This is what I was getting at regarding my last point. It's why it's so frustrating. Meanwhile, pretty much everyone of the White characters are always getting new relaunches and stuff, and always in a timely manner.

Truth be told, the more I think about it, the more aggravating it gets to fathom a notion where Ninjak is supposed to be more compelling rocking in the Black guy's space than freakin' Shadowman. This is the type of pattern that allows White dudes being ninjas to be seen as awesome and something that can never get old, but Japanese/Japanese-descent Asians doing that as being negative stereotype and oldhat (and on different level, BIPOC/etc. people doing similar being dismissed as "not staying in lane" or "only just a fad").

(Sorry. Didn't mean to rant specifically at you, but I felt like this had to be made known in general.)

Quote Originally Posted by J. D. Guy View Post
    That's probably what a lot of writers will cite, but I feel that's kinda hogwash, not to mention vague. Character-wise, there's quite a bit that makes Jack interesting, especially when they lean into who he is as a Black creole man, his past, and his legacy. Really, his whole circumstance is compelling, which is what made the last book that explored his historic roots so much fun. I don't agree that Jack's mythos is more interesting than he is, because Jack's presence is what makes the mythos interesting. It's what makes the mythos.

Like, Jack is Valiant's premiere Black male superhero. He's also one of their only 2 Black male superheroes, which is side-eye worthy on its own (Quantum is the other, but kinda lives in his own niche, and feels beholden to/second to Woody). Livewire is the only other fully visible Black Valiant superhero of note, and the only one who's a woman. And I've not heard much with her in it since that last push, either.

So any excuse not to treat Jack Boniface in the elevated fashion they treat X-O Manowar, Bloodshot, Rai, Quantum and Woody (as a unit), and especially Ninjak is Valiant not doing Shadowman justice. This is what I was getting at regarding my last point. It's why it's so frustrating. Meanwhile, pretty much everyone of the White characters are always getting new relaunches and stuff, and always in a timely manner.

Truth be told, the more I think about it, the more aggravating it gets to fathom a notion where Ninjak is supposed to be more compelling rocking in the Black guy's space than freakin' Shadowman. This is the type of pattern that allows White dudes being ninjas to be seen as awesome and something that can never get old, but Japanese/Japanese-descent Asians doing that as being negative stereotype and oldhat (and on different level, BIPOC/etc. people doing similar being dismissed as "not staying in lane" or "only just a fad").

(Sorry. Didn't mean to rant specifically at you, but I felt like this had to be made known in general.)
    Its fine.

I'm just trying to articulate why he didn't catch on for me personally. I don't think Jack is a failure and I hope he gets used more often.

I hope they expand on his time as the Magpie rather than sweeping it under the rug.

Jack does need to get out New Orleans. If we can have outside villians/characters pop up that would be great.
    Last edited by the illustrious mr. kenway; 12-07-2020 at 08:47 AM.