Page 334 of 400 FirstFirst ... 234284324330331332333334335336337338344384 ... LastLast
Results 4,996 to 5,010 of 5990

Next Valiant omnibus is going to be Ninjak from the 90s run. I am glad they are going to continue to put out some of the older material.
    Co-host of Get Valiant, a Valiant Comics podcast.

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by TheFerg714 View Post
    Is there anything I need to check out asap?
    I don't think so. I feel like it's a acquired taste these days. There are only two serious villains in the continuity, the rest are mostly one-offs. The arcs are usually pretty short and most of the books feel more episodic than the way books are made now. But, if you're interested, Static Shock: Rebirth of the Cool is probably the most inviting of any of the milestone stuff. It came out in 2009 so it is a lot more modern. It works as one of the best Static stories, showing how capable he's become as a hero, but also as a celebration of all the stuff that came before it, so most of the major Milestone characters are present.

On to Valiant, Bloodshot's Day Off was pretty sweet, although it ended pretty abruptly.
    Last edited by scribbleMind; 07-10-2017 at 08:50 AM. Reason: I said required taste. :p

Quote Originally Posted by scribbleMind View Post
    I don't think so. I feel like it's a required taste these days. There are only two serious villains in the continuity, the rest are mostly one-offs. The arcs are usually pretty short and most of the books feel more episodic than the way books are made now. But, if you're interested, Static Shock: Rebirth of the Cool is probably the most inviting of any of the milestone stuff. It came out in 2009 so it is a lot more modern. It works as one of the best Static stories, showing how capable he's become as a hero, but also as a celebration of all the stuff that came before it, so most of the major Milestone characters are present.

On to Valiant, Bloodshot's Day Off was pretty sweet, although it ended pretty abruptly.
    i picked up a couple issues of that out of a bargain bin and really enjoyed the john paul leon art, figured i'd pick up the other 2 issues and realized they're very pricey.

i read issues 5-8 of acclaim/valiant shadow man and it was really good. definitely going to look out for the rest of delano/adlard run now.

Extraordinary Member Captain Craig's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Joshua View Post
    Next Valiant omnibus is going to be Ninjak from the 90s run. I am glad they are going to continue to put out some of the older material.
    Super excited about this. It's been very quite on the Valiant Omni front and was worried they had silently ended it like the Masters line.

Bloodshots Day Off was a great read with a solid dose of backstory on both Tank Man and Viet Man. I'm still rooting for Cold Man to come back somehow. I mean being resurrected countless times was part of their initial introductory premise after all.

I'm loving Brittania II and the time spent on character development and world building in the first mini is paying off in dividends here.

I'm glad Faith is over. That title was becoming a bit too self aware and drenched in current day references that at any moment I expected Faith to break the 4th wall and go all Byrne She-Hulk(which was cute in its day). Yeah, Deadpool does it and it was fun at first but I'm over that also.
    I'm curious about Faith and the Future Force largely cause it's going to have Neela Time Traveler from Ivar as the co-lead and just who the Future Force will be.

X-O is much more enjoyable than I thought. They haven't swept vol.1 under the rug as I feared but they haven't wholly explained to my satisfaction why he needs to be out there. Why he left Earth and frankly why these issues couldn't have just continued the numbering.
    "Freedom is the right of all sentient beings" - Optimus Prime

Divinity #0 looks great!

I'm glad to see "in-universe" Abram and Red Legend acknowledge the anomaly that she is and hopefully explain just why her 'ripple' can't be straightened out. Besides I mean the real world reason that VEI has creative plans for them.

Fuutre Instigator kinggirlfriend's Avatar

Most recent stuff I read:

Quantum and Woody: World's Worst Superheroes - Fun and consistent with the rest of the Q&A I've read (Vols 3-4, Must Die, and Delinquents) I'm really surprised by how much I've taken to this series and I'm looking forward to the new upcoming series.

Shadowman Vols 1 and 2 - I finally caved and wanted to see for myself how good or bad this series is. The art was good but the story never grabbed me. Plot seemed overly cliched and comicbooky, especially compared to the other early VEI titles.

HARBINGER: RENEGADE Vol 1 - Kept my attention and was enjoyable enough but I'm still not sold on this direction or creative team. I do look forward to the next volume and the Massacre.

X-O Manowar: Soldier - Much better than I had anticipated! Very much looking forward to more. Can't wait to find out the where what and why.

RAI: History of the Valiant Universe - The art is great but it doesn't offer anything we don't already know. A neat issue that would have been better served as a FCBD book.

Ultimate Member

Read the latest Renegades
    Very much not happy.

I know bloodbaths aren't uncommon in Valiant, but freakin' still. Might swear off the series if these all stick.

I loved it!!

spoilers:
    At first, I was very put off because I felt that Chronus and Telic have so many more stories to tell. I can't help but feel like the pitiful sales of Van Lente's series played a role in this.
    end of spoilers

All in all though, someone had to die, and after getting over my immediate emotional response, I really loved this book. It dug deep into Valiant lore to the point where it's obvious that Valiant is obviously listening to the fans when they ask for more interconnection. There are threads in this book that pull from Harbinger, Harbinger Wars, Gen. Zero, Bloodshot and HARD Corps, Bloodshot Reborn/USA, and it looks like we haven't even got into the connections with Imperium, Secret Weapons, and even Unity and X-O. Harbinger Wars 2 looks like it's going to be a beast, and with the way it's looking now, I'm starting to think that Aric's return to Earth will play directly into HW2. For me, it really paid off in the continuity department. The VCR podcast was saying that they think a couple characters were acting out of character, but I thought everyone was near perfect. I haven't read a comic twice in a day in a long time, but this one seriously deserved it.

spoilers:
    My favorite aspect was the moral ambiguity. Both sides were right, both sides were wrong, and both sides jumped to violence way too quickly. Every time I thought I sided with Gen. Zero, someone would mention that they took over a building, including the people inside, in Harbinger Wars, as well a whole f***ing town in their series. No wonder they're seen as terrorists by the US government. And can I just say that the Donald Trump tweet was brilliant. I hate when politics gets shoved into comics, but they nailed exactly what Trump would've said if he was the POTUS in the Valiant U.
    end of spoilers

Quote Originally Posted by The Cool Thatguy View Post
    I know bloodbaths aren't uncommon in Valiant, but freakin' still. Might swear off the series if these all stick.
    They're not that common dude. I can only think of two major deaths so far (excluding Book of Death).

Just so you know though, all of these deaths are going to stick. For sure.

Quote Originally Posted by kinggirlfriend View Post
    I'm really surprised by how much I've taken to this series and I'm looking forward to the new upcoming series.
    I knew this was gonna happen.

Shadowman Vols 1 and 2 - I finally caved and wanted to see for myself how good or bad this series is. The art was good but the story never grabbed me. Plot seemed overly cliched and comicbooky, especially compared to the other early VEI titles.
    Agreed. It comes off as really basic compared everything else.
    Last edited by TheFerg714; 07-13-2017 at 02:39 AM.
    Valiant- X-O Manowar / Bloodshot Salvation / Ninja-K / Quantum and Woody! / Shadowman / Harbinger Wars II / Brittania
    DC- Justice League / Hal Jordan and the GLC / The Flash / Aquaman / Mera / Mister Miracle / Silencer / The Terrifics
    Other- The Walking Dead / Mighty Morphin Power Rangers / Go Go Power Rangers

spoilers:
    I thought Gen Zero vs H.A.R.D. Corps felt like what a superhero fight would be like in a real setting. Casualties on both sides. I loved it. What a big moment in the Valiant universe and I'm shocked no website spoiled the revelation, although I do feel Valiant kinda hinted it with the Secret Weapons code in issue one, which depicted Gunslinger saying to watch out for them and their telepaths and the panel with the plane crash. Once I saw that, I knew Gen Zero was involved, as Gamete and the Zygotes are telepathic. Also, I think of Gen Zero as major so I thought that Valiant kept their word on that.
    end of spoilers
    Co-host of Get Valiant, a Valiant Comics podcast.

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by TheFerg714 View Post
    There are threads in this book that pull from Harbinger, Harbinger Wars, Gen. Zero, Bloodshot and HARD Corps, Bloodshot Reborn/USA, and it looks like we haven't even got into the connections with Imperium, Secret Weapons, and even Unity and X-O.
    That's what I needed to hear to get over A&A and finally start picking up this book. Loved the first four issues. The fifth is well done, but I have my nitpicks. I feel two ways about the way the Gen Zero thing went down. I feel like so much more could have been explored with what they had set up, but simultaneously this is probably the more realistic take on it. Animalia is probably my favorite psiot at this point. She reminds me of Clem from the walking dead. I feel sad for her loss of innocence but in awe of how savage she is. To me, issue five firmly failed to make both sides look equally valid.

spoilers:
    Gen Zero never took over the city. They took over a building in that city. The interior is infinite. They didn't need to take over the city. Also, Palmer bought into the PRS hype in a way unlike himself. Since his introduction he has always been reluctant. He came back from retirement knowing he worked for monsters. This Palmer doesn't feel right. There was some evolution I needed to see for Palmer's characterization here to make sense, because he just came off as a generic military drone, and he's smarter than that. His ability to recognize how he's being played and see through the bullcrap is the aspect of his character that, imo, makes him worth reading. Finally, you have to make Gen Zero look waaaaay worse if you want to balance the scales because Gamma is still something that gives me nightmares.

Edit: I read the CBR interview on this. They did take over the town, but again, the growth from taking over the building in the center to taking over the town is something that needed to be shown because that's not how Gen Zero ended. The building's internal space and entire construction is only limited by the strength and imagination of the psiot who manifested it, and judging from Gen Zero her limits are quite high so...why? This seems like an, admittedly small, instance of marvel-esque round peg in square hole storytelling.
    end of spoilers
    Last edited by scribbleMind; 07-16-2017 at 06:34 AM.

Harbinger Renegades #5 was full of adrenaline.
    I'm going to miss spoilers:
    Chronos
    end of spoilers and am not shocked they went with that character as said character is an adult. Shock factor lessened.
    On the other side I liked spoilers:
    Granite
    end of spoilers and to me the shock there was just who killed said character on the other side. The other HC members that died didn't really impact me.
    The rest of Gen Zero is either captured or on the run and to me that's good cause I enjoyed their short lived series. I feel that as a unit they didn't get all the time they needed in a solo book(where were the rest of the VEI fans in supporting that book?).

I think FVL's take on generation zero wasn't what they wanted or wasn't appealing to them so they decided to give their money to something else. That's just how the business goes sometimes, not every story appeals to everyone else.

https://www.newsarama.com/35393-blac...h-valiant.html
    Shadowman is back and crossing over with a rap group in October.

Quote Originally Posted by Shadowras View Post
    https://www.newsarama.com/35393-blac...h-valiant.html
    Shadowman is back and crossing over with a rap group in October.
    I wait to be impressed but it sounds like a bad idea. An idea that in the moment sounds good for some reason. I'll be shocked if they are musically relevant in 10yrs.

Yeah for a new attempt at a Shadowman ongoing though. Hoping Rapture completes the new beginning overhaul for Jack. Magpie you were fun for awhile.