Page 264 of 400 FirstFirst ... 164214254260261262263264265266267268274314364 ... LastLast
Results 3,946 to 3,960 of 6000

Quote Originally Posted by HaveAtThee View Post
    Just finished Vol. 2 of X-O Manowar and WOW that was a fantastic arc with the introduction of Ninjak, who seems like quite the compelling character himself. I enjoyed the strange chemistry Ninjak shared with Aric. There's a high level of tension between them but the common enemy gives them an uneasy truce and it makes for some funny banter. Loving the pace of the story picking up. I hope Alexander Dorian continues to play a big part in the next volume(s). The artwork by Lee Garbett and Stefano Gaudiano is FANTASTIC. I'm reminded a bit of Matt Wagner, who I'm a big fan of. Lots of nice storytelling sequences, both from the serene and the action-packed. X-O Manowar is quickly shaping up to be my favorite Valiant title thus far. I hope Aric and Ninjak interact more often in the future. Definitely will pick up the first volume of Ninjak's title as well. The Ninjak/Aric exchanges were like a more complex take on the Superman/Batman dynamic. Both men being soldiers, albeit different types, gives them the freedom to use lethal force and ridding them the constraints of the superhero stigma. I'm beginning to see a trend with the Valiant universe in that sense. The roles of hero and villain are not so easily defined. Quite a refreshing take.

Also read the first volume of the first Bloodshot series, and it was a fun romp and a solid introduction to the character. I can see why in the Reborn series that he has such an attachment to the Nanites, as they provide quite a few abilities for him. The breakneck pace of the story was nice too. The introduction of the Pulse/Melissa character was interesting as it provided a nice little nugget of the tie-in to Harbinger. Manuel Garcia's art reminds me a bit of Alan Davis.

I have Vol 2. of Bloodshot arriving tomorrow (along with the second volume of Archer & Armstrong), but I can't wait to read my most anticipated purchase, which is Valiant's first crossover as I understand. The Harbinger Wars deluxe hardcover edition. Thanks Keith for the recommendation. Looks like tons of fun.

Harbinger Wars doesn't get the accolades it deserves. One of the only cross-overs, from any company, that I've actually enjoyed.....After you read the Harbinger Wars deluxe hardcover, try to make sure to get Bloodshot volume 4: H.A.R.D.Corps, which continues the storyline a little bit. Also make sure to get Imperium, which starts up after Harbinger ends. Imperium focuses on Harada, which is a character you'll want more of after you read Harbinger Wars.

Also, get the Rai deluxe hardcover! It collects issues 1-12, after that it's the 4001 AD mini/event (Along with Rai continuing with issue #13, which starts up a storyline showing past Rais).....Continuity-wise, you don't need to read anything before getting into Rai.

Quote Originally Posted by thewarning View Post
    I wasn't feeling it. Not sure why Gilad's there, apart from being who he is.
    Aside from the earth constantly getting damaged by Father, Gilad's there to rescue the Geomancer.

Quote Originally Posted by Ramsay Snow View Post
    Harbinger Wars doesn't get the accolades it deserves. One of the only cross-overs, from any company, that I've actually enjoyed.....After you read the Harbinger Wars deluxe hardcover, try to make sure to get Bloodshot volume 4: H.A.R.D.Corps, which continues the storyline a little bit. Also make sure to get Imperium, which starts up after Harbinger ends. Imperium focuses on Harada, which is a character you'll want more of after you read Harbinger Wars.

Also, get the Rai deluxe hardcover! It collects issues 1-12, after that it's the 4001 AD mini/event (Along with Rai continuing with issue #13, which starts up a storyline showing past Rais).....Continuity-wise, you don't need to read anything before getting into Rai.

Aside from the earth constantly getting damaged by Father, Gilad's there to rescue the Geomancer.
    Bloodshot and HARD CORPS were great. It would be awesome to see Gage come back and do more Valiant work.
    I'm a freedom fighter
    I drink apple cider

Astonishing Member batnbreakfast's Avatar

Finally done with Bloodshot Reborn trade 1 (getting 2 soon) and Ninjak trade 1 (getting 2 soon). Where should I continue from here on? Not really into X-O or Harbinger stuff. Some help would be appreciated.

Quote Originally Posted by batnbreakfast View Post
    Finally done with Bloodshot Reborn trade 1 (getting 2 soon) and Ninjak trade 1 (getting 2 soon). Where should I continue from here on? Not really into X-O or Harbinger stuff. Some help would be appreciated.
    Have you tried Unity? It's probably one of Valiant's best opening arcs, has some great Ninjak, and definitely a strong showing from both Kindt and Braithwaite. Armor Hunters is a great event along with the X-O tie ins. Not to worry, the X-O issues are actually about the Armor Hunters and how they form up. In my opinion this is Venditti at the very top of his game.
    I'm a freedom fighter
    I drink apple cider

Incredible Member

It might be a bit of backtracking, but have you read The Valiant? Bloodshot Reborn launches out of it, but so does the Book of Death event (conveniently bundled together into one deluxe hardbound edition) and then from there Wrath of the Eternal Warrior, which may be your jam.

Another option - Rai, if future sci-fi Bladerunner-esque sounds at all appealing?
    I read Valiant Comics, and you should too!

Archer & Armstrong / Bloodshot USA / Divinity III / Faith / Generation Zero / Harbinger: Renegade / Ninjak / Savage

Anxiously awaiting: Bloodshot: Salvation / Britannia II / Harbinger Wars 2 / Psi-Lords / Secret Weapons / Shadowman / War Mother / X-O Manowar

Seriously, why aren't you reading Valiant Comics?

Harada may be the most compelling character of Harbinger, IMO. Such a mystery. Thanks for the recommendations. Isn't there also an X-O crossover around the same time of Harbinger Wars?

Quote Originally Posted by HaveAtThee View Post
    Harada may be the most compelling character of Harbinger, IMO. Such a mystery. Thanks for the recommendations. Isn't there also an X-O crossover around the same time of Harbinger Wars?
    You might be thinking Unity volume 1. It crosses over with X-O vol 5 and involves Aric, Harada, Livewire, and Ninjak. You'll definitely love it. A LOT of defining moments right there.
    I'm a freedom fighter
    I drink apple cider

Astonishing Member batnbreakfast's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by ksbord View Post
    It might be a bit of backtracking, but have you read The Valiant? Bloodshot Reborn launches out of it, but so does the Book of Death event (conveniently bundled together into one deluxe hardbound edition) and then from there Wrath of the Eternal Warrior, which may be your jam.

Another option - Rai, if future sci-fi Bladerunner-esque sounds at all appealing?
    Those are good recommendations. The Valiant for Paolo Rivera alone and the plot on top of it. The same goes for Book of Death. Rai doesn't appeal to me (neither does Blade Runner but I do enjoy Ford's and Hauer's performances). Can I just read Imperium or will I miss something, Harbinger wasn't my cup of tea? Sorry for all the questions.

Fantastic Member

Those are good recommendations. The Valiant for Paolo Rivera alone and the plot on top of it. The same goes for Book of Death. Rai doesn't appeal to me (neither does Blade Runner but I do enjoy Ford's and Hauer's performances). Can I just read Imperium or will I miss something, Harbinger wasn't my cup of tea? Sorry for all the questions.
    I think you will be fine. The recap pages have all you need to enjoy it.

Incredible Member

Yeah, like new_onslaught said, you should be fine with the summary pages... however, I'd be remiss to not suggest you check out the last volume of Harbinger. Even if Harby wasn't your cup of tea, it will give you the background on exactly what happens to lead into Imperium, and it was some darn fine story-telling as well.

Archer & Armstrong / Bloodshot USA / Divinity III / Faith / Generation Zero / Harbinger: Renegade / Ninjak / Savage

Anxiously awaiting: Bloodshot: Salvation / Britannia II / Harbinger Wars 2 / Psi-Lords / Secret Weapons / Shadowman / War Mother / X-O Manowar

Fantastic Member

Quote Originally Posted by ksbord View Post
    Yeah, like new_onslaught said, you should be fine with the summary pages... however, I'd be remiss to not suggest you check out the last volume of Harbinger. Even if Harby wasn't your cup of tea, it will give you the background on exactly what happens to lead into Imperium, and it was some darn fine story-telling as well.
    You mean vol. 5 or the Harbinger: Omega mini?

All-New Member

Hey guys, this is my first post here but I have been lurking for a while. Anyway, a couple of months ago I had the brilliant idea of getting into Valiant and, thanks to Scribd, I basically started reading everything in the order of release, starting with X-O #1 and currently I'm all the way up to X-O #19, Unity #1 etc. Love all the series (maybe with the exception of Shadowman and Eternal Warrior) and the best thing is definitely how closely related all of the titles are (again, with the exception of Shadowman and Quantum & Woody, although it looks like the latter will cross over with Archer & Armstrong at some point). Bloodshot, Harbinger, Unity, X-O and Archer & Armstrong (and maybe even Eternal Warrior) all feel like they are a part of one gigantic cross-over right now with Harada in the middle, which is just fine for me, although I can understand how it may annoying for someone who is reading only some of the books. In any case, just thought I would post to let everyone know there is a new Valiant fan in town. I can't wait to be all caught-up so I can start giving Valiant my money and reading everything as it gets released. Hopefully the quality stays consistently high throughout.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by new_onslaught View Post
    You mean vol. 5 or the Harbinger: Omega mini?
    I meant vol. 5 "Resistance/Death of a Renegade" as that is where I think things really go down and change the status quo. I think Omegas served as a bridge between Harbinger and Imperium, but that part is also summed up well at the beginning of Imperium for new readers.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by tk1978 View Post
    Hey guys, this is my first post here but I have been lurking for a while. Anyway, a couple of months ago I had the brilliant idea of getting into Valiant and, thanks to Scribd, I basically started reading everything in the order of release, starting with X-O #1 and currently I'm all the way up to X-O #19, Unity #1 etc. Love all the series (maybe with the exception of Shadowman and Eternal Warrior) and the best thing is definitely how closely related all of the titles are (again, with the exception of Shadowman and Quantum & Woody, although it looks like the latter will cross over with Archer & Armstrong at some point). Bloodshot, Harbinger, Unity, X-O and Archer & Armstrong (and maybe even Eternal Warrior) all feel like they are a part of one gigantic cross-over right now with Harada in the middle, which is just fine for me, although I can understand how it may annoying for someone who is reading only some of the books. In any case, just thought I would post to let everyone know there is a new Valiant fan in town. I can't wait to be all caught-up so I can start giving Valiant my money and reading everything as it gets released. Hopefully the quality stays consistently high throughout.
    Welcome! Hope you keep us apprised of your thoughts as you get caught up!

Fuutre Instigator kinggirlfriend's Avatar

Continuing my reading of Valiant, this weekend I read some old and some new.

ARCHER & ARMSTRONG Vol 4: SECT CIVIL WAR - This series is so consistently good, so enjoyable! The pub crawl through time was great. Everything was great. Not normally a fan of Khari Evan's work but it was perfect here.

IVAR, TIMEWALKER Vol 1 - The perfect follow up and compliment to A&A! I've already begun Vol 2, but I gotta ask, should I read ETERNAL EMPEROR before this? Or are they just riffing on it? So far I've skipped the first 2 Eternal Warrior trades because no one says anything good about them.

And I've been going back and rereading some old Valiant ......

ETERNAL WARRIOR #6-8: By Barry Windsor-Smith, these three issues are pretty fantastic, and might be the highwater point for old Valiant. #6-7 is a two-parter that introduces Master Darque to Gilad as he defends the Geomancer, Geoff. #8 is the extra-sized flipbook with A&A that retells the Three Musketeers with Eternal Brothers. Perfectly stand alone and quite classic in it's storytelling. Great, great stuff.

RAI tpb - Collects Rai #0-4 of the original series. I read this before but couldn't remember a thing. This is old Valiant at it's absolutely driest and stiffest. It took some work to get into the story, but in the end it did win me over. Not sure if I'll pick up the new RAI series, this one kinda gave me enough of that world. #0 is an odd inclusion, it's not really about Rai, but rather sets up the last Rai and the Future Force series. It seemed like the wheels were already starting to come off the Valiant wagon.