Page 280 of 400 FirstFirst ... 180230270276277278279280281282283284290330380 ... LastLast
Results 4,186 to 4,200 of 6000
    D*mned Prince of Gotham JasonTodd428's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Vericc View Post
    ok hi all, I have absolutely no idea about anything to do with Valiant but I really want to delve into more independent comic publishers as all I'm reading right now is DC. Now with DC's rebirth in full swing I can really only afford one ongoing comic if any so what would be your recommendations? Is there a a certain 'main' book involving multiple characters or is everything separate?
    I understand I sound like a complete idiot so thank you for your time.
    Welcome. You don't sound like an idiot at all. Everyone has to start somewhere and everyone here is really helpful in getting new people started with Valiant. My top four Valiant books are Faith, Rai, Bloodshot and Ninjak but pretty much everything I've read thus far I've enjoyed. Older team books I enjoyed were Unity and Harbinger. There are also a couple of new team books starting up soon Generation Zero, which starts this month and Harbinger Renegades that starts in November. Hope this helps.
    Last edited by JasonTodd428; 08-05-2016 at 11:30 AM.
    Supporting LION FORGE COMICS and other independent publishers.

Check out Lion Forge's Catalyst Prime Universe. Its the best damned superhero verse in comics. Diverse characters and interesting stories set in a universe where anyone can be a hero. And company that prides itself on representation both in the comics themselves and in the people behind them.

Oh my goodness gracious! I've been bamboozled!

When we hit our lowest point, we are open to the greatest change. AVATAR AANG

Fantastic Member

When you say 'older series' are these still all part of the 2012 relaunch or before? On that note, was it just a relaunch or a full scale reboot?
    I mean the 2012 relaunch. It was a full reboot with separate continuity from what came before.

Incredible Member

ok hi all, I have absolutely no idea about anything to do with Valiant but I really want to delve into more independent comic publishers as all I'm reading right now is DC. Now with DC's rebirth in full swing I can really only afford one ongoing comic if any so what would be your recommendations? Is there a a certain 'main' book involving multiple characters or is everything separate?
    Welcome! Glad you are considering checking out Valiant, and hope we can help you make that an easy jump!

Valiant is interesting in that they seem to prefer a smaller number of titles published each month, which usually caps out in the 9 - 11 titles range. As a result, they tend to run a series for certain number of issues (25 being the magic number) with one writer, then end it to make way for another title. The original series will then start over some time in the future with a new title, creative team, theme, etc. though definitely embracing the established continuity from the previous series. For example - Bloodshot ran for 25 issues, ended, then the series Bloodshot Reborn launched about seven months later.

My recommendation would be to investigate a character you may want to read, and then jump in with the earliest backlog issues (from 2012 - on, I mean) and then read from there. The nice thing is you have lots of friendly voices here to help you figure that stuff out, so don't panic if that idea sounds daunting. A couple of ideas to get you started:

X-O Manowar - the longest running series, still going from the original 2012 relaunch, though it is ending (for now) with issue #50 next month. Think Braveheart meets Iron Man with a sprinkle of Green Lantern on top. No word on a new series yet, but Valiant has dropped hints of plans already in motion.

Harbinger - a wide-reaching concept that touches on many corners of the Valiant Universe, there was the original series from 2012 that ran for 25 issues, a 3 issue mini-series that bridged into a new title called Imperium that ran for 16 issues, and later this year a new series called Harbinger - Renegades will launch. Take the X-menish idea of mutant like individuals, but strip away all the superhero tropes. Add in very blurry lines separating good/bad. The current Faith series and the upcoming Generation Zero series (launching this month) all have their roots in Harbinger. Highly recommended, Josh Dysart absolutely kills it with everything he writes!

Archer & Armstrong - another series that ran for 25 issues, and then relaunched earlier this year with a new series. I liken it to Raiders of the Lost Arc meets your favorite buddy comedy, and they run through all of Dan Brown's novels. The original series was written by Fred Van Lente, and rates up there with Harbinger in the best stuff Valiant has one, IMO. It is also a great series as it introduces some other Valiant Universe mainstays in the Geomancer, the Eternal Warrior, and Ivar, Timewalker. The new series has been a little sillier while finding it's legs, but has shown a lot of promise over the first five issues.

Bloodshot - as I mentioned above, the original series ran for 25 issues, as well as dipped into a tie in miniseries during the Armor Hunters summer event. The character then featured in The Valiant miniseries, which is a great great great suggestion on some reading material if you want to dip your toe into the Valiant Universe in general. The results of The Valiant then led into Bloodshot Reborn, which is currently ongoing. Think Bourne Identity meets The Terminator or Universal Soldier. Bloodshot is also up first on the movie docket, with a film slated for sometime next year.
    I read Valiant Comics, and you should too!

Archer & Armstrong / Bloodshot USA / Divinity III / Faith / Generation Zero / Harbinger: Renegade / Ninjak / Savage

Anxiously awaiting: Bloodshot: Salvation / Britannia II / Harbinger Wars 2 / Psi-Lords / Secret Weapons / Shadowman / War Mother / X-O Manowar

Seriously, why aren't you reading Valiant Comics?

Extraordinary Member Captain Craig's Avatar

War Mother One Shot AD 4001 - I liked this, thought it was solid set up. I wasn't instantly wowed by anything and would rate it Above Average.
    3.75/5 stars
    "Freedom is the right of all sentient beings" - Optimus Prime

Seeing as you're just wanting to throw a book onto your pull, I think your best bet would obviously be to look at the Future of Valiant. I know you've gotten a lot of info and posts thrown at you, so I'll just make it short and sweet. Each of these series should be great jumping-on points for the Valiant U as a whole. Faith is the only one that's gotten released so far, and it was fantastic imo, so it's really up to you. Just pick the one that seems most interesting to you, and start from there. The 'initiative' consists of 3 ongoings (Faith, Generation Zero, Harbinger: Renegades), 1 sequel mini-series (Divinity III: Stalinverse), 1 "self-contained event" (Bloodshot USA), and 2 brand new mini-series (Brittania, Savage). Personally, I'm most hyped for Brittania and Savage, but they all look pretty solid.
    Last edited by TheFerg714; 08-05-2016 at 01:39 AM.
    Valiant- X-O Manowar / Bloodshot Salvation / Ninja-K / Quantum and Woody! / Shadowman / Harbinger Wars II / Brittania
    DC- Justice League / Hal Jordan and the GLC / The Flash / Aquaman / Mera / Mister Miracle / Silencer / The Terrifics
    Other- The Walking Dead / Mighty Morphin Power Rangers / Go Go Power Rangers

Comixology had a couple of collections that might be a good place for you to start. One of them was the first 4 issues of the first few Valiant series so that might be a good pick. Another was a bunch of crossovers that the series had
    Quote Originally Posted by ksbord View Post
    Do yourself a favor and get those other two volumes of Timewalker. Worth it!!
    I know, Timewalker was fun.
    Quote Originally Posted by TheFerg714 View Post
    Good choices all around. Imperium is the standout of those imo. What did you think?
    I enjoyed them alot and I'm excited for Generation zero or Harbinger (tough choices). Imperium was hard-hitting and topical but I had a bit of difficulty reading it at first because I didnt read Harbinger. The story is still awesome tho just not for the faint of heart.

Anyone here try out Valiant's collectible card game and figures from Catalyst Game Labs? If so what do you think about them?
    My Monthly Pulls - DC: Waiting for Deathstroke and Vigilante. Marvel: Moon Knight. The Vision, Waiting for Solo. Valiant: Bloodshot Reborn, Ninjak, Divinity III Stalinverse, Bloodshot USA event, Waiting for PSI Lords. Why aren't you reading Valiant and other Indies too?

Incredible Member

So War Mother was pretty great!
    Quote Originally Posted by ksbord View Post
    Agreed, good start, though I was left wanting more. I hope they don't leave us hanging too long and reveal plans for the character soon!
    That's how I'm feeling with this whole 4001 Earth that they've set up, with interesting premises in Shadowman and WarMother in particular that I'd like to see more of.
    I guess the conclusion of 4001 will give a better indication of where Rai ends up and all his supporting cast, but I'm starting to wonder why they're going with Brittania and Savage when it would seem more logical to branch out of this event with a new ongoing or a couple miniseries related to the character's they've introduced.

Maybe this is just because I'm not particularly excited about either Brittania or Savage.

Quote Originally Posted by keeen View Post
    That's how I'm feeling with this whole 4001 Earth that they've set up, with interesting premises in Shadowman and WarMother in particular that I'd like to see more of.
    I guess the conclusion of 4001 will give a better indication of where Rai ends up and all his supporting cast, but I'm starting to wonder why they're going with Brittania and Savage when it would seem more logical to branch out of this event with a new ongoing or a couple miniseries related to the character's they've introduced.

Maybe this is just because I'm not particularly excited about either Brittania or Savage.
    While I am very excited for everything relating to Future of Valiant (with a few misgivings about Gen. Zero), I totally agree. I kind of assumed that we'd get something set in the 4001-verse immediately following the event, but I guess not. It's strange that all of these awesome plot-threads are just going to disappear, possibly forever. Brittania ends in December and Bloodshot USA ends in January, so hopefully we'll get something 4001 related around then. I guess technically 4 months is about the same amount of time between Rai arcs, so I shouldn't be that surprised.
    Valiant- X-O Manowar / Bloodshot Salvation / Ninja-K / Quantum and Woody! / Shadowman / Harbinger Wars II / Brittania
    DC- Justice League / Hal Jordan and the GLC / The Flash / Aquaman / Mera / Mister Miracle / Silencer / The Terrifics

Incredible Member

What misgivings for gen zero? Thats the one I'm looking forward to most!

Quote Originally Posted by keeen View Post
    What misgivings for gen zero? Thats the one I'm looking forward to most!
    Ugh, I feel like the odd man out when I complain about Gen Zero, but it just doesn't seem too appealing to me for a few reasons.
    The Premise- Firstly, and most importantly, I love how dark and mature they were under Dysart, but it feels like they're taking a step back with this series. I loved the child soldier aspect, and the trials and tribulations of growing up too quickly. I have no interest in seeing how they fit in in high school. I don't want to see them revert into some teen-angst filled, Twitter-activists.
    Francis Portela- On top of that, I don't really like Portela's art at all. It's not bad by any means, but I just don't enjoy looking at it. It feels very basic and dull to me. That, coupled with the fact that Pere Perez and Clayton Henry simply do that style significantly better, make me feel a little bored.
    Stephen Mooney- I hate the cover artist, Stephen Mooney, with a fiery passion. I hate his work enough that I'm thinking about getting the weird Tom Muller variants instead. I know that's sort of a non-issue, but it adds to my disinterest in the book. I will be extremely upset if Valiant decides to give him an arc on any book I care about (which is unfortunate, because I care about pretty much every Valiant book).
    Fred Van Lente- He's a great writer. His Archer & Armstrong is still, easily, my favorite Valiant series. However, while I did enjoy it, I wasn't too satisfied with Ivar. I liked it, but I don't think it hit the heights of his A&A work. His characterization of Gilad in Vol. 2 felt off, and Vol. 3 was a little too messy and frenetically paced for my taste. Again, I enjoyed it quite a bit, but I felt like it was a clear step down. Theoretically, I have no problem with him taking the reigns of Gen. Zero, but I'm just not sure what to expect. War Mother was awesome though, so I do feel a little better about it.

Hey, you asked. I know I sound pretty negative, but I'm still very hyped for it, and fully plan on picking up at least the first arc. I'm sure it'll be great, but as you've read (if you managed to get through this whole post), I just have a few misgivings.
    Last edited by TheFerg714; 08-05-2016 at 11:46 PM.

Ugh, I feel like the odd man out when I complain about Gen Zero, but it just doesn't seem too appealing to me for a few reasons.
    The Premise- Firstly, and most importantly, I love how dark and mature they were under Dysart, but it feels like they're taking a step back with this series. I loved the child soldier aspect, and the trials and tribulations of growing up too quickly. I have no interest in seeing how they fit in in high school. I don't want to see them revert into some teen-angst filled, Twitter-activists.
    Francis Portela- On top of that, I don't really like Portela's art at all. It's not bad by any means, but I just don't enjoy looking at it. It feels very basic and dull to me. That, coupled with the fact that Pere Perez and Clayton Henry simply do that style significantly better, make me feel a little bored.
    Stephen Mooney- I hate the cover artist, Stephen Mooney, with a fiery passion. I hate his work enough that I'm thinking about getting the weird Tom Muller variants instead. I know that's sort of a non-issue, but it adds to my disinterest in the book. I will be extremely upset if Valiant decides to give him an arc on any book I care about (which is unfortunate, because I care about pretty much every Valiant book).
    Fred Van Lente- He's a great writer. His Archer & Armstrong is still, easily, my favorite Valiant series. However, while I did enjoy it, I wasn't too satisfied with Ivar. I liked it, but I don't think it hit the heights of his A&A work. His characterization of Gilad in Vol. 2 felt off, and Vol. 3 was a little too messy and frenetically paced for my taste. Again, I enjoyed it quite a bit, but I felt like it was a clear step down. Theoretically, I have no problem with him taking the reigns of Gen. Zero, but I'm just not sure what to expect. War Mother was awesome though, so I do feel a little better about it.

Hey, you asked. I know I sound pretty negative, but I'm still very hyped for it, and fully plan on picking up at least the first arc. I'm sure it'll be great, but as you've read (if you managed to get through this whole post), I just have a few misgivings.
    Hey ferg, did you see the preview of the new Renegades title? I curious about your thoughts on that as well.
    I'm a freedom fighter
    I drink apple cider

Quote Originally Posted by harashkupo View Post
    Hey ferg, did you see the preview of the new Renegades title? I curious about your thoughts on that as well.
    I liked it quite a bit. I had never seen anything else by that artist, and I ended up being pretty satisfied with the look. I think the major difference, in my mind, between my wariness of Gen. Zero, and relative excitement for Renegades, is that Renegades is just a big, fat question mark. I really have no feelings, whether negative or positive (besides the fact that I love these characters), about it. Now that I know the art's gonna be solid, I don't have any reservations there, but I'm just not sure about Rafer Roberts. His A&A has ranged from absolutely annoying to genuinely heartfelt and hilarious. Of course, I'd rather have Dysart back, but I'm willing to give someone else a shot.

I liked it quite a bit. I had never seen anything else by that artist, and I ended up being pretty satisfied with the look. I think the major difference, in my mind, between my wariness of Gen. Zero, and relative excitement for Renegades, is that Renegades is just a big, fat question mark. I really have no feelings, whether negative or positive (besides the fact that I love these characters), about it. Now that I know the art's gonna be solid, I don't have any reservations there, but I'm just not sure about Rafer Roberts. His A&A has ranged from absolutely annoying to genuinely heartfelt and hilarious. Of course, I'd rather have Dysart back, but I'm willing to give someone else a shot.
    The art caught me by surprise, the book is certainly going to look good. As far as the writing I'm going to wait until the first arc is out and see what the general consensus is. Maybe by then we'll even get an announcement concerning Dysart from Valiant.
    I'm a freedom fighter
    I drink apple cider

Quote Originally Posted by harashkupo View Post
    The art caught me by surprise, the book is certainly going to look good. As far as the writing I'm going to wait until the first arc is out and see what the general consensus is. Maybe by then we'll even get an announcement concerning Dysart from Valiant.
    What ever Dysart is doing, unless its My Little Pony, I am going to read it.
    My Monthly Pulls - DC: Waiting for Deathstroke and Vigilante. Marvel: Moon Knight. The Vision, Waiting for Solo. Valiant: Bloodshot Reborn, Ninjak, Divinity III Stalinverse, Bloodshot USA event, Waiting for PSI Lords. Why aren't you reading Valiant and other Indies too?