Page 3 of 400 FirstFirst 12345671353103 ... LastLast
    Incredible Member

So I just read Rai (first Valiant book ever) and LOVED it!!! I want to go back and read and collect some of the other Valiant series.

I am generally eying X-O Manowar, Harbinger, Unity, Bloodshot, Archer & Armstrong, Quantum & Woody, and Eternal Warrior.

Couple of questions about how to collect these books...would you go for the single issues or the deluxe hardcover books? Second, if you go for the single issues, do the pullbox editions contain supplemental materials the way the Rai pullbox edition did, or do they just have different covers?

Thanks!!

Quote Originally Posted by wwise03 View Post
    So I just read Rai (first Valiant book ever) and LOVED it!!! I want to go back and read and collect some of the other Valiant series.

I am generally eying X-O Manowar, Harbinger, Unity, Bloodshot, Archer & Armstrong, Quantum & Woody, and Eternal Warrior.

Couple of questions about how to collect these books...would you go for the single issues or the deluxe hardcover books? Second, if you go for the single issues, do the pullbox editions contain supplemental materials the way the Rai pullbox edition did, or do they just have different covers?

Thanks!!
    I get single issues, and as far as I know there's no difference in content when it comes to the standard cover vs pullbox edition.

Since my LCS doesn't overcharge on variant covers from Valiant; I simply pick up the cover I like better. I think Im the only customer who pulls their books...

Quote Originally Posted by JaggedFel View Post
    I have said this before in the old forums. The Flashback issues are some of the best work Valiant has put out in their relaunch. Everything else though ranges from mediocre to just plan bad and is mostly a meandering mess.
    Have to agree with this, Shadowman was the first Valiant book dropped since the relaunch and a few months later it seems I made a good call.

BANNED

still pulling X-O Manowar, Unity and Rai. if Eternal Warrior resumes i'll probably buy that too.

not sure yet about Dr Mirage. latest issue of Shadowman (End Times #1) was the worst Valiant book i've read. i don't like Milligan's direction or execution at all. dropping it.

Hey guys can someone tell me where Harbinger Wars picks up from both Harbinger and Bloodshot? Just started reading Valiant comics the other day and a little over my head but just focusing on a couple at a time. I thought after I read Harbinger Wars and X-O I'd dive into Unity, any suggestions? Right now I'm about 6 issues into Harbinger and 2 into Bloodshot.

All-New Member

Quote Originally Posted by crossbones View Post
    latest issue of Shadowman (End Times #1) was the worst Valiant book i've read. i don't like Milligan's direction or execution at all. dropping it.
    Yikes, even worse than the filler book between Jordan and Milligan's runs? That was by far the worst Valiant I've read.

Not as bad as the filler. But, as much as I love Milligan, the book/character is broken, and he doesn't seem like he's going to be making the necessary fix anytime soon.

I may finally drop Shadowman. My first Valiant drop.

BANNED

^ yeah, i thought Jim Zub's sole Shadowman issue was a masterpiece when compared to the latest one. Milligan's Shadowman is a mess imo. now that De La Torre is out, i'm out too.

too bad. Jordan had the right idea in the beginning. his early issues were pretty good imo.

BANNED

Dropped Shadowman a while ago. Still enjoying Harbinger and Bloodshot, the insertion of Hard Corps has worked out much better than i expected (love the flashbacks of Hard Corp, who's members and uniforms are the original Valiant Hard Corp form the 90's). XO is growing tiresome, but I am still with it (the whole storyline with him just taking over a country turned me off). Unity has me floating in and out, just feels too contrived of a team, but i DO love Ninjak...

All-New Member

Quote Originally Posted by TheGDBatman View Post
    Hey guys can someone tell me where Harbinger Wars picks up from both Harbinger and Bloodshot? Just started reading Valiant comics the other day and a little over my head but just focusing on a couple at a time. I thought after I read Harbinger Wars and X-O I'd dive into Unity, any suggestions? Right now I'm about 6 issues into Harbinger and 2 into Bloodshot.
    Harbinger 11-14 and Bloodshot 10-13 are the Harbinger Wars tie-ins.

All-New Member

I think post-Unity arc X-O has been a very fun read. I'm enjoying it more than I have since the pre-Planet Death stuff, and Armor Hunters looks great.

I didnt think Shadowman End Times #1 was as bad as some are making. Dialogue was a bit wonky in places though. I think as a whole Milligans run has been a big improvement, but has never really got above "decent."
    Missed De La Torres art on this one too. Why is Jack a white guy all of a sudden?

He's never really been black this entire time, it's always felt like lip service. Unless you'd count the stereotypical "deadbeat dad" angle now?

And I had made some apologies on behalf of the abrupt relationship drama a couple issues back, but, yikes!

I like some of Milligan's concepts, way better than Jordan's simplistic storytelling, but his execution is lacking. Shadowman doesn't have an established mythos like Hellblazer did – he's got to build it.

Extraordinary Member Captain Craig's Avatar

Glad to see the spirit of my original thread has been started back up!

Read RAI #1 and it continues show the quality output that VALIANT is taking towards relaunching their properties!
    Looking forward to XO #25 in two weeks and Armor Wars + the VALIANT handbook at FCBD was a nice treat!
    "Freedom is the right of all sentient beings" - Optimus Prime

Quote Originally Posted by thewarning View Post
    He's never really been black this entire time, it's always felt like lip service. Unless you'd count the stereotypical "deadbeat dad" angle now?

And I had made some apologies on behalf of the abrupt relationship drama a couple issues back, but, yikes!

I like some of Milligan's concepts, way better than Jordan's simplistic storytelling, but his execution is lacking. Shadowman doesn't have an established mythos like Hellblazer did – he's got to build it.
    Jack is bi-racial, he looked that way when Zircher was drawing him and De LaTore, but I guess this new artist cant seem to draw him that way(his Jack looks like a tanned white man).