Page 357 of 400 FirstFirst ... 257307347353354355356357358359360361367 ... LastLast
Results 5,341 to 5,355 of 6000

Quote Originally Posted by havok1977 View Post
    Hey Valiant gang, I'm still in process of catching up, but I'd like to read your opinions of the current runs on Ninja-K by Gage and Shadowman by Diggle.

Full disclaimer, I'm somewhat biased against those writers based on some of their previous work for the big M which was very disappointing for me.
    I have no previous experience with Diggle, but I'm actually really familiar with Christos Gage's work, and I totally understand your apprehension. He's written Buffy and Angel & Faith for the last 5 years, and some it has been transcendentally awesome, but some of it has been rather bland.

That said, as a hardcore Valiant fan, Gage is absolutely killing it on Ninja-K. It's easily the best Valiant series coming out right now, and it's doing a beautiful job at tying itself into the wider Valiant U. It really feels like a book that's happening now, if that makes any sense.

Shadowman, on the other hand, isn't really my cup of tea. It's gotten good reviews on here, ValiantFans, and some podcasts that I listen to, but I'm just not feeling it that much. It seems to be a whole lot of exposition about mystical/voodo-y stuff that I just don't care about.
    Full disclaimer, I'm really not into magic superheroes.
    Valiant- X-O Manowar / Bloodshot Salvation / Ninja-K / Quantum and Woody! / Shadowman / Harbinger Wars II / Brittania
    DC- Justice League / Hal Jordan and the GLC / The Flash / Aquaman / Mera / Mister Miracle / Silencer / The Terrifics
    Other- The Walking Dead / Mighty Morphin Power Rangers / Go Go Power Rangers

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Power Torch View Post
    Well I'm behind on Ninja-K, but I can speak about the new Shadowman. I think it's better then the last series. So far it's been building up great and we are learning a lot. In issue 3 the foreshadowing is great and I can tell Andy has big things all planned out, which I'm looking forward to. The art has also been amazing and his redesign is awesome! I'm looking forward to him interacting with new baddies and other characters in the VU.
    I would agree with that.

The one thing that bothers me in this run (and the previous one too) is that Shadowman is supposed to be a badass but he constantly gets his ass handed to him lol

Writer At Comic Watch Dylan Davison's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Ying Ko View Post
    I would agree with that.

The one thing that bothers me in this run (and the previous one too) is that Shadowman is supposed to be a badass but he constantly gets his ass handed to him lol
    Yeah, I can definitely see that haha. I'm hoping once he learns about the Loa's past in this next arc he will be able to tap into it fully and then we can see him kicking some butt haha. I trust Andy, based on all his interviews and what not. I feel like he has some amazing plans for him over the next 2 years, and that Shadowman will be important again.
    Pulls:
    Coffin: La Muerta, Lady Death, Hellwitch. Valiant: Shadowman. DC: Poison Ivy.
    Check Out My Comic Reviews And More At Comic Watch!

Thanks for the valuable input you guys.

Cool about Ninja-K, and good for Gage! Seems its a consensus that the book is good. Added to pull list.

As for Shadowman I do really enjoy magic comics ... to name some examples I love Hellblazer under Vertigo and of course Swamp Thing is one of my all time fave characters and I really enjoyed Justice League Dark under Lemire.

But Diggle man, he really messed up my boy Daredevil way back in '09 or so and I have yet to read something from him that I really like... idk, I'll wait and see. Plus Jack getting his ass whooped like you describe is no longer acceptable like it was in the early days of the relaunch when he was total rookie IMO.
    Last edited by Geralt of Rivia; 05-25-2018 at 09:52 AM.

Cool about Ninja-K, and good for Gage! Seems its a consensus that the book is good. Added to pull list.

As for Shadowman I do really enjoy magic comics ... to name some examples I love Hellblazer under Vertigo and of course Swamp Thing is one of my all time fave characters and I really enjoyed Justice League Dark under Lemire.

But Diggle man, he really messed up my boy Daredevil way back in '09 or so and I have yet to read something from him that I really like... idk, I'll wait and see. Plus Jack getting his ass whooped like you describe is no longer acceptable like it was in the early days of the relaunch when he was total rookie IMO.
    Well I don't think it would be fair to say he's making rookie mistakes, you can tell in this series that he's come a long way from the first one. He lost a fight when he first got out of the deadside, but he was a bit shook and he is fighting some hardcore people so far, so I wouldn't say it was like in the early days. He has a better handle over the loa. I understand not liking a certain writer, I have my non-favs too, but if your interested in Shadowman, I say why not give it a chance. I always wait till after the first arc to judge what to cut of not lol.
    Pulls:

Bro, get the first volume! It's only $10 and it just came out a few weeks ago.

You'll probably like it then.

I just hope they end up doing something interesting with the whole 'Jack is a total wuss' concept, cause I'm bored.
    Valiant- X-O Manowar / Bloodshot Salvation / Ninja-K / Quantum and Woody! / Shadowman / Harbinger Wars II / Brittania
    DC- Justice League / Hal Jordan and the GLC / The Flash / Aquaman / Mera / Mister Miracle / Silencer / The Terrifics

if valiant wanted to, could they bring back michael "zero" leroi?? the shadow man N64 game was pretty popular back in the day, why not do something with him??

Quote Originally Posted by BigLbo View Post
    if valiant wanted to, could they bring back michael "zero" leroi?? the shadow man N64 game was pretty popular back in the day, why not do something with him??
    I think he was introduced in the Acclaim era so I don't know if the current valiant has the rights to him.

Quote Originally Posted by the illustrious mr. kenway View Post
    I think he was introduced in the Acclaim era so I don't know if the current valiant has the rights to him.
    VEI, and now DMG, owns everything related to Valiant, except for the Gold Key characters. That's why they can publish Quantum & Woody.

Quote Originally Posted by BigLbo View Post
    If I recall right, I feel like he was only popular in comics during his early run with Garth Ennis as the writer. After that the story kinda got a bit convoluted and uninteresting(in my opinion). However, the video game did do well, but I feel like not a lot of people knew he was in comics haha,as I've seen a few let's players who have no idea. I liked Zero though,very 90s,very cool. I wouldn't mind if he was a character added into Shadowman, but I like Jack to much to see him go.
    Pulls:

I'm not really feeling Jack but not sure replacing him with Zero is a good idea. But down the road maybe you can introduce him? Diggle said he has plans for a 2 year arc and has thought about bringing in other characters.

I don't mind if Shadowman does expand the Valiant U's supernatural side tho.

Astonishing Member Tazpocalapse's Avatar

I thought Harbinger Wars 2 # ! was a good introduction to the series. We got commentary from most of the major players and the basis behind LiveWire doing what she has.

I'm not really feeling Jack but not sure replacing him with Zero is a good idea. But down the road maybe you can introduce him? Diggle said he has plans for a 2 year arc and has thought about bringing in other characters.

I could see Zero being introduced as Jack's long lost half brother(same dad) and being a cool supporting character to have around.

Quote Originally Posted by Power Torch View Post
    If I recall right, I feel like he was only popular in comics during his early run with Garth Ennis as the writer. After that the story kinda got a bit convoluted and uninteresting(in my opinion). However, the video game did do well, but I feel like not a lot of people knew he was in comics haha,as I've seen a few let's players who have no idea. I liked Zero though,very 90s,very cool. I wouldn't mind if he was a character added into Shadowman, but I like Jack to much to see him go.
    following the ennis & wood run i really enjoyed issues 5-8 by jamie delano & charlie adlard but haven't read issue 9-15. i didn't care for issue 16 where serge clermont & clayton crain took over.

like shadowras suggested he wouldn't necessarily have to replace jack, he could just be a supporting character.

Mighty Member

Not a huge Diggle fan myself, but The Losers (Vertigo) was excellent. His work on Thief of Thieves was enjoyable as well, but that may have been off of Kirkman's plotting. Not entirely sure of the dynamic of the rotating writer thing.