Page 57 of 400 FirstFirst ... 74753545556575859606167107157 ... LastLast

I am new to Valiant and to a degree against my will the product is good enough that it is forcing me to buy into it. I picked up the Harbinger Wars collection on sale a Comixology a few days ago and read it tonight as my introduction to Valiant Comics. Its somehow more mature and better written than anything coming out of the big two as of recent. So much so, that I am having to wonder where to put my dollars as I never thought Marvel or DC would fail so bad in comparison. Harbinger Wars was just that much better than any recent crossover from anyone else. I am really looking forward to Imperium.

Quote Originally Posted by chaos X effect View Post
    I appreciate the advice, guys. I think I might give X-O and Unity a try at the latest new arc (November).
    Hey, new fan! I'm a fairly new Valiant fan as well (started around September), and I've already collected (almost) everything, so I figured I should put in my 2 cents.
    I think if you're wanting to jump into the stuff going on now, Unity 12 and X-O 30 are probably a good idea (as well as Rai 5 and Valiant-Sized Quantum & Woody 1), but the absolute best current jumping-on point is Valiant Next. I won't get into it too hard because there's websites and articles pretty readily available about the initiative, but here's the titles.
    The Valiant- Kind of an "event." It's a 4-issue mini-series. Extremely new-reader friendly. Read this s**t.
    Ivar, Timewalker- Brother to Armstrong (of Archer & Armstrong). All you really need to know is: wacky, silly romps through history. Same creative team as A&A.
    Divinity- Another 4-issue mini-series. About a black, Russian, communist who gets insane super-powers (like Dr. Manhattan level). Not much else is known, except it's apparently going to be a villain book.
    Imperium- Follow-up to Harbinger. Considering that Harbinger (1-25+Omegas) is really really freakin fantastic, you should probably just read that first.
    Ninjak- He's like Batman... but a ninja. I'm not the biggest fan of the artist, Clay Mann, but apparently everyone else loves him.
    Bloodshot: Reborn- Follow-up to Bloodshot (1-25), but unlike Harbinger, it looks like a completely fresh-slate. You should probably read The Valiant first if you're thinking about this one.

Obviously, it's up to you, but from my perspective I think you should jump on with the bolded titles above if you're interested in keeping up with the current stuff. Other than that, you should check out issue 1 for every title so far (especially the core-4, X-O, Harbinger, Bloodshot, and A&A), and see if you like any of those. I highly recommend Unity 1-4. It's basically a tiny event (that ties into X-O), and it's a great jumping-on point for new readers because it introduces "Valiant's Avengers," including Ninjak, Toyo Harada,and the Eternal Warrior. Not to mention, it's the only comic I've ever read twice in one sitting. It's damn good.

Sorry, I get pretty excited about new readers, and want them to know absolutely everything possible! I remember when Agent 37 was in your shoes a few months ago.
    Valiant- X-O Manowar / Bloodshot Salvation / Ninja-K / Quantum and Woody! / Shadowman / Harbinger Wars II / Brittania
    DC- Justice League / Hal Jordan and the GLC / The Flash / Aquaman / Mera / Mister Miracle / Silencer / The Terrifics
    Other- The Walking Dead / Mighty Morphin Power Rangers / Go Go Power Rangers

you could also add Timewalker to the mix Fred Van Lente's follow up to Archer & Armstrong, starring Ivar Anni Padda, one of 3 immortal brothers ( Gilad aka The Eternal Warrior, and Aram aka Armstrong, being the other 2 brothers) This promises to be a sort of romp through history, not as silly as A&A or so they say. I personally love A&A, and find FVL's writing amazing.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Inhuman X View Post
    I am new to Valiant and to a degree against my will the product is good enough that it is forcing me to buy into it. I picked up the Harbinger Wars collection on sale a Comixology a few days ago and read it tonight as my introduction to Valiant Comics. Its somehow more mature and better written than anything coming out of the big two as of recent. So much so, that I am having to wonder where to put my dollars as I never thought Marvel or DC would fail so bad in comparison. Harbinger Wars was just that much better than any recent crossover from anyone else. I am really looking forward to Imperium.
    I'm in the same boat and I agree 100%. The Harbinger series was very good and Marvel/DC aren't even close to that sort of quality.

Amazing Member

Great stuff, guys. I really appreciate the advice. I will look into all of this.

Extraordinary Member Captain Craig's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by danmar85 View Post
    Do Valiant books ever go on sale? I would love to pick up a few Deluxe editions going forward, but the cost will add up fast. I've only seen a few books go on bargain sale through CGN.
    You can get any VALIANT collected material from comic specific online retailers like InStockTrades(30-35% of MSRP) or CheapGraphicNovels(same %) and both ship and package the product great. I prefer IST mainly cause they are this side of Mississippi and I get it quicker.

Comixology offers sales periodically on single issues and there maybe another Humble Bundle if you're looking beyond collected editions as a way to jump into VALIANT.
    "Freedom is the right of all sentient beings" - Optimus Prime

Amazing Member

OK, so...I think I'm going to try:

Rai starting at #5
    The Valiant starting at #1 (obviously)
    Unity starting at #12
    X-O Manowar starting at #30

I was also thinking about picking up Valiant-Sized Quantum and Woody #1. Is that new-reader friendly? Is it part of an ongoing?

Then, like I said, I was going to get Imperium and Divinity when they come out. I will also take a good look at Bloodshot: Reborn and Ninjak.

Quote Originally Posted by TheFerg714 View Post
    Ninjak- He's like Batman... but a ninja. I'm not the biggest fan of the artist, Clay Mann, but apparently everyone else loves him.
    Butch Guice is joining Clay Mann on the new Ninjak series.
    "Who wouldn't go out with the Black Widow? I'd strangle a litter of kittens for one dinner with her!"
    Adrian Toomes aka the Vulture

"Natasha Romanoff, A.K.A. Black Widow - ex-KGB, formerly with S.H.I.E.L.D...Probably the brains of this operation.I have followed her career, and she has been consistently UNDERRATED."

Extraordinary Member Captain Craig's Avatar

I was also thinking about picking up Valiant-Sized Quantum and Woody #1. Is that new-reader friendly? Is it part of an ongoing?
    It is a one&done story and I can't recall off hand there being any "need to know" backstory as far as details go to follow the story.
    The key thing you should know going in that's not explained is that Eric(Quantum) & Woody are brothers, Woody was adopted.
    At their fathers lab, things went south and while trying to get into the only protective suit they both got one arm in and each arm contained wrist bands necessary for stability. Now they have to KLANG their arm bands together every 24hr or risk their atoms being torn apart and thus dying.
    "Freedom is the right of all sentient beings" - Optimus Prime

Amazing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Craig View Post
    It is a one&done story and I can't recall off hand there being any "need to know" backstory as far as details go to follow the story.
    The key thing you should know going in that's not explained is that Eric(Quantum) & Woody are brothers, Woody was adopted.
    At their fathers lab, things went south and while trying to get into the only protective suit they both got one arm in and each arm contained wrist bands necessary for stability. Now they have to KLANG their arm bands together every 24hr or risk their atoms being torn apart and thus dying.
    Sounds like a blast!

Is the Quantum and Woody ongoing done? Even though I didn't read Valiant, I thought I remember seeing them with their own series...or am I crazy?

I need some advice from those into Valiant Comics. I have just read the Harbinger Wars collection related to the Las Vegas incident. I am wanting to follow the story of Toyo Harada from that point onward to right now. What do I need to buy to get up to date with his story and ready for Imperium?

Please?

TY.

I need some advice from those into Valiant Comics. I have just read the Harbinger Wars collection related to the Las Vegas incident. I am wanting to follow the story of Toyo Harada from that point onward to right now. What do I need to buy to get up to date with his story and ready for Imperium?

Please?
    Harbinger is the main title that deals with Harada, so you should check out all of that.
    The epilogue mini; Harbinger: Omega deals with the setup for Imperium.

You could also read the opening arc of Unity, which deals with Harada establishing the team to combat XO.

Sounds like a blast!

Is the Quantum and Woody ongoing done? Even though I didn't read Valiant, I thought I remember seeing them with their own series...or am I crazy?
    Yes, they had an ongoing which has now ended. Since then they had a 4 issue crossover with Archer & Armstrong (The Delinquents), an oversized one-shot and an upcoming mini series; Quantum & Woody Must Die!
    Therese also the Q2 miniseries currently running, which is a sequel to the original Quantum & Woody series from the 90s by the original team. Its not connected to the new Valiant continuity.

Id say odds are there will be more Q&W in the future. Valiant have stated they want to limit their line to 8-10 books so theyll continually swap out different series.
    The only real mainstays appear to be X-O Manowar and Unity.

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Craig View Post
    You can get any VALIANT collected material from comic specific online retailers like InStockTrades(30-35% of MSRP) or CheapGraphicNovels(same %) and both ship and package the product great. I prefer IST mainly cause they are this side of Mississippi and I get it quicker.

Comixology offers sales periodically on single issues and there maybe another Humble Bundle if you're looking beyond collected editions as a way to jump into VALIANT.
    Thanks Captain Craig, but I was already taking IST discounts into account . That 30% discount isn't bad, but I was hoping Valiant would get some type of discount like some of the other publishers had.

OK, so...I think I'm going to try:

Rai starting at #5
    The Valiant starting at #1 (obviously)
    Unity starting at #12
    X-O Manowar starting at #30

Then, like I said, I was going to get Imperium and Divinity when they come out. I will also take a good look at Bloodshot: Reborn and Ninjak.
    I haven't read Valiant-Sized, but I've heard that you can read it without knowing anything else.
    But seriously dude, you should read Harbinger before Imperium.

The ongoing is technically done, but I'm getting the feeling that they're gonna move Q&W to mini-series only. But really.. it's always been like that. The 3 arcs that take place in the ongoing don't really connect to eachother very well.

Dark-Flux pretty much explained it to a "t." I just want to add that the title, Harbinger, refers to both Peter Stanchek and Harada.
    Last edited by TheFerg714; 12-19-2014 at 10:56 PM.
    Valiant- X-O Manowar / Bloodshot Salvation / Ninja-K / Quantum and Woody! / Shadowman / Harbinger Wars II / Brittania
    DC- Justice League / Hal Jordan and the GLC / The Flash / Aquaman / Mera / Mister Miracle / Silencer / The Terrifics
    Other- The Walking Dead / Mighty Morphin Power Rangers / Go Go Power Rangers