Page 6 of 400 FirstFirst ... 23456789101656106 ... LastLast

Much as I love to support Valiant and their deluxe line, I will be passing on the Shadowman collection.

Hoping they continue all titles with volumes 2, etc.

All-New Member

Quote Originally Posted by Burning Eyes View Post
    So last week I purchased Quantum and Woody vol. 1: The World's Worst Superhero Team and really liked it, especially the whole "fly by the seat of the pants" style of humor.
    I'm interested in getting some of the other Valiant titles, and it looks like each title adheres to a different "Genre", and so I wanted to know what the other titles are about (although if I had to venture a guess, I'd say Bloodshot is influenced by 80s Action Movies).
    Again, I'm very new to Valiant so any information would be nice.
    Harbinger: The obvious comparison is X-Men, but this is a much edgier book and a bit unique in that it focuses almost solely on the struggle between the Rebels and bad guy Harada. Very strong writing - probably my favourite Valiant title most months.

X-O Manowar: Action sci-fi that was middle-of-the-pack for me the first 12-18 months, but I've been loving it recently. The upcoming Armor Hunters event looks great.

Archer & Armstrong: This is a tough book to categorise - essentially it's a humourous adventure book, but different in tone to Q&W, and touches on cults/secret societies, amongst pretty much everything else. My second favourite Valiant book, and unfortunately coming to an end soon.

Bloodshot: Yeah it's sort of '80s action movie' at times, but touches on some more interesting ground too. Issue #0 was (as seems to be the case with Valiant!) fantastic.

Unity: Quickly becoming my fave book. First arc felt a bit forced and X-O Manowar heavy, but since then Kindt has ventured into the same sorta domain that makes his excellent Mind Mgmt book such a standout. Looking forward to Bloodshot joining this book, based on how Kindt wrote him in Bloodshot #0.

Quote Originally Posted by AngusH View Post
    Harbinger: The obvious comparison is X-Men, but this is a much edgier book and a bit unique in that it focuses almost solely on the struggle between the Rebels and bad guy Harada. Very strong writing - probably my favourite Valiant title most months.

X-O Manowar: Action sci-fi that was middle-of-the-pack for me the first 12-18 months, but I've been loving it recently. The upcoming Armor Hunters event looks great.

Archer & Armstrong: This is a tough book to categorise - essentially it's a humourous adventure book, but different in tone to Q&W, and touches on cults/secret societies, amongst pretty much everything else. My second favourite Valiant book, and unfortunately coming to an end soon.

Bloodshot: Yeah it's sort of '80s action movie' at times, but touches on some more interesting ground too. Issue #0 was (as seems to be the case with Valiant!) fantastic.

Unity: Quickly becoming my fave book. First arc felt a bit forced and X-O Manowar heavy, but since then Kindt has ventured into the same sorta domain that makes his excellent Mind Mgmt book such a standout. Looking forward to Bloodshot joining this book, based on how Kindt wrote him in Bloodshot #0.
    Much Appreciated, thank you.

Extraordinary Member Captain Craig's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Scorpio View Post
    Hey guys, Shadowman Deluxe edition is coming up collecting the run before Milligan took over, is it worth checking out? I'm enjoying Milligan's run alot.
    I'll be getting it as a VALIANT completist but it's not their most impressive work for a titles first year.
    I'd steer you towards XO, Harbinger or Bloodshots Deluxe HC edition though if you've not read those.
    "Freedom is the right of all sentient beings" - Optimus Prime

BANNED

I've got Harbringer and Bloodshot Deluxe HCs. Shame to hear about Shadowman, it has Ales Kot writing an issue, Zicher doing art and Justin overall has been a good writer too. Shame to hear.

Quote Originally Posted by Scorpio View Post
    I've got Harbringer and Bloodshot Deluxe HCs. Shame to hear about Shadowman, it has Ales Kot writing an issue, Zicher doing art and Justin overall has been a good writer too. Shame to hear.
    Kot contributes a short story to an omnibus issue. Zircher gets poached by DC and leaves a hole filled by multiple artists each month. Jordan treads water with the assistance of narrative tropes.

Looked like Milligan and de la Torre were getting the book back on its feet, but RDLT is now on the forthcoming Dr Mirage and I have no idea what Milligan is doing with the current mini.

Well I just finished Harbinger 23 and I'm a little conflicted with the loss of a Renegade. The issue itself was unbelievably great but man oh man, I'm still reeling over the loss of a main character. This issue really sets the foundation for some bad @$$ story telling and I can't wait for the next issue.
    I'm a freedom fighter
    I drink apple cider

My LCS didn't get their Valiant books in today. Luckily (?) there's always Midtown, the corporate rock of comic book stores. I've got to read that Harbinger today.

Quote Originally Posted by thewarning View Post
    My LCS didn't get their Valiant books in today. Luckily (?) there's always Midtown, the corporate rock of comic book stores. I've got to read that Harbinger today.
    It's a great read so I hope you enjoy it.
    I'm a freedom fighter
    I drink apple cider

Harbinger #23 was amazing. Great art, great story, the loss of a main character...and it's not even the climactic finale to the current arc!

Shadowman: End Times #2 was just awful. I have no clue what Milligan is doing right now. I thought he was starting to turn the book around, but this mini just feels forced and read terribly.

Quote Originally Posted by BugsySig View Post
    Harbinger #23 was amazing. Great art, great story, the loss of a main character...and it's not even the climactic finale to the current arc!

Shadowman: End Times #2 was just awful. I have no clue what Milligan is doing right now. I thought he was starting to turn the book around, but this mini just feels forced and read terribly.
    I have to agree with this. Not all of Valiant's line are my favorites but I still really enjoy them but Shadowman is just a chore to read. I've enjoyed Milligan on other books but the direction he's chosen with this book has me giving up. My first dropped Valiant title.
    I'm a freedom fighter
    I drink apple cider

Harbinger 23 was great... That definitely wasn't the character that I would have picked to die.

Not sure which was more heartbreaking. Harbinger #23 or not being able to make it halfway through Shadowman.

Wasn't super surprised who was lost, but the way it went down was abrupt and unexpected. Really well executed issue that didn't stop with the DEATH – it was just one facet to the story.

BANNED

Yeah shadowman is a mess.

On the flip side Harada must really be regretting not keeping Livewire around she would have solved his ax problem with ease

Think of Milligan's Shadowman as a reboot. It makes it a lot more enjoyable, and, considering his strong dislike for continuity and shared universes, I bet that's the direction he has chosen.