All-New Member

Default A question about Moon Knight

Hello people,

I recently got interested in Moon Knight due to reading some tie-ins for Civil War, and I want to read his story.

Now my question is: where do I start? I found these two options:

a) http://www.amazon.com/Moon-Knight-Br.../ref=pd_cp_b_3

b) http://www.amazon.com/Moon-Knight-Vo.../dp/0785154086

They both say they collect the first few issues of Moon Knight (#1-7 for option a, 1-6 for option b) but they both seem to have different authors and artists. Are they both from different runs? Is one of them a specific story? They say they just collect from the "Moon Knight" series which confuses me a little bit.

In the case that option B is just a restart of Moon Knight, which one would be better to pick up?

I'm sorry if my question is a bit dumb; I'm not very knowledgeable about comics, but I'm trying hard to get into it!
    Last edited by CoffeeMaltesers; 04-19-2015 at 04:13 AM.

Different runs.

Option B is the current series, and is better than the Bendis run imo.

Extraordinary Member t hedge coke's Avatar

Go with the 2014 Warren Ellis trade, From the Dead. Solid, closed run. Beautiful to look at. Exciting. Funny. Weird.
    Patsy Walker on TV! Patsy Walker in new comics! Patsy Walker in your brain! And Jessica Jones is the new Nancy! (Oh, and read the Comics Cube.)

All-New Member

Alright, I'll start with option B! I'm guessing it's worth it to read both of them? I was a little bit biased towards the bendis - maleev ones because the covers look absolutely stunning, and I absolutely love Maleev as an artist.

The Maleev covers are gorgeous, but Bendis' take on Moon Knight is pretty horrible as far as most Moon Knight fans are concerned. By all means buy it for the art, but don't buy it to find out what makes Moon Knight special because Bendis kind of ignored that and did his own thing.

The Moench/Sienkiewicz run had some great art, too:

I haven't read Bendis' Moon Knight so I can't comment on that, but one thing I will say about Ellis' is it doesn't really delve into Moon Knight's backstory very much, apart from a bit of expository dialogue in the first issue. Each issue is a done-in-one story so it's more about setting a tone, and whilst you get a great feel for Moon Knight as a character you don't learn much about his history.

It's a great run and the art is beautiful but I figured it was worth pointing that out since you said you wanted to 'read his story'.

BANNED

This will help you: http://www.amazon.com/Moon-Knight-No.../dp/0785120920

It's basically Moon Knight's entire origin and his first appearances. You should also check out Charlie Huston's run (taken over by Mike Benson) , while not Moon Knight's best it does go deep into his backstory and his powers.

Bendis' run is good if you want to know about him as a character. He really expands on the fact that Moon Knight is actually a crazy person and it works.

The current series is my favorite.
    Last edited by GrandKaiser; 04-19-2015 at 06:11 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by GrandKaiser View Post

It's basically Moon Knight's entire origin and his first appearances.
    It does appear to skip some appearances (he was also in The Defenders for a few issues), but that does look like the best bet for the very beginning of Moon Knight's story.

All-New Member

@Panic: That art does look amazing! Does that one do a good job of portraying Moon Knight, and explaining him as a character/explaining his backstory?

Quote Originally Posted by shgs View Post
    I haven't read Bendis' Moon Knight so I can't comment on that, but one thing I will say about Ellis' is it doesn't really delve into Moon Knight's backstory very much, apart from a bit of expository dialogue in the first issue. Each issue is a done-in-one story so it's more about setting a tone, and whilst you get a great feel for Moon Knight as a character you don't learn much about his history.

It's a great run and the art is beautiful but I figured it was worth pointing that out since you said you wanted to 'read his story'.
    Quote Originally Posted by GrandKaiser View Post

It's basically Moon Knight's entire origin and his first appearances. You should also check out Charlie Huston's run (taken over by Mike Benson) , while not Moon Knight's best it does go deep into his backstory and his powers.

Bendis' run is good if you want to know about him as a character. He really expands on the fact that Moon Knight is actually a crazy person and it works.

The current series is my favorite.

Both these posts are very much information I was looking for, thanks!

I think I'll start with the one GrandKaiser linked, to get to know Moon Knight's backstory, and take it from there. Let's hope I can get it somewhere here.
    Last edited by CoffeeMaltesers; 04-19-2015 at 07:41 AM.

Incredible Member

Go with Ellis, gives you a better feel for the character without needless focusing on his questionable mental state.

While I don't want to tell someone to throw a bunch of money around, each "take" has it's merits. That's said the "Ellis" run is a pretty solid "I'm looking for an entry point." sort of run.

Do everything you can to avoid Bendis's run on Moon Knight. It's an extremely jarring and out of character portrayal of him compared to everything else done with the character.

I'd recommend Ellis's run, it's an easy jump on point that's not heavy on backstory. If you'd like to revisit some of his backstory, start with the Huston/Finch run, it does a good job of revisiting his past while progressing his story further imo.
    Currently Reading: DC: Shazam /// MARVEL: Daredevil, Invaders, Winter Soldier /// IMAGE: Seven to Eternity /// TITAN: Bloodborne

Upcoming Reading:

Trade Waiting: IMAGE: East of West, Black Road, The Black Monday Murders /// DARK HORSE: Hellboy, Witcher

Spectacular Member

Bendis's run was the biggest waste of time ever. He doesn't have crime stories in him anymore. Too many poop jokes and teenage arguing now.

Quote Originally Posted by somebody View Post
    Bendis's run was the biggest waste of time ever. He doesn't have crime stories in him anymore. Too many poop jokes and teenage arguing now.
    He's really fallen off since his Daredevil days. He's simply not the same writer anymore and it's unfortunate.
    Currently Reading: DC: Shazam /// MARVEL: Daredevil, Invaders, Winter Soldier /// IMAGE: Seven to Eternity /// TITAN: Bloodborne

Upcoming Reading:

Trade Waiting: IMAGE: East of West, Black Road, The Black Monday Murders /// DARK HORSE: Hellboy, Witcher