View Poll Results: Do you think Spider-Man would benefit more from a Netflix series as oppose to a MCU movie?

Voters
32. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

21 65.63%
  • No

11 34.38%
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Do you think Spider-Man would benefit more from a Netflix series?

For those who have watched Netflix Daredevil, do you think Spider man would benefit more from a Netflix series as oppose to a MCU movie?

Do you think it would do the character justice his story was paced over 12 episodes done right?

Or do you think he would be better off with a blockbuster and cameo?
    Last edited by Jameszahra; 04-19-2015 at 01:21 AM.

Incredible Member Highland Chicken's Avatar

Yes, but they'd blow their budget on one webslinging scene.

A live action Spider-Man show is a fun idea, but the suggested format lends itself far better to Daredevil. I'm not convinced that a low(ish) budget Spider-Man adaptation could ever work.

Interesting question but I would have to say "no"; the only Spidey stories that might possibly work well for the lower-budget and therefore very limited television format would be the more street-level crime noir stories that Peter David penned in the 1980's. Now, while these are some of my favorite Spidey tales, I don't think they would do much to convert non-fans to fans of Spidey. With little to no big-name super villains whose powers could be easily displayed on such a format, to say nothing of Spidey's power set, I can't see it working that well. Daredevil, on the other hand, is working just fine!

Extraordinary Member Derek Metaltron's Avatar

I think that a Netflix show with Spider-Man can work, but I also think that the best thing to do would be to have it focused on Miles Morales and compliment the Spidey films Marvel have planned.

Yes. Absolutely, I think Spider-Man would benefit from a Netflix series. In fact, I think he would benefit from any series that isn't Ultimate Spider-Man. That show is a joke that has helped make Spider-Man the least likable character at Marvel.
    Join me on the official website for X-men Supreme, home of Marvel Universe 1015. Want a fresh take on X-men? Click below to enter the official home of Marvel at it's most Supreme!

Or if you want, check out my YouTube channel, Jack's World.

Rachel turned into Ahab's baby momma by Marvel. Disgusting.

Of course.

Daredevil has proved that street stuff can work great on Netflex.

It's so good....

iMan 42s

Definitely would require a budget. I feel it should compliment the film's though. It should do something fresh with spider-man and take advantage of the environment it is set in with whatever has been set up.

Miles might work better if he is on Netflix. I feel like Peter would be too cinematic and blow the budget and it might be confusing how some villains can or do not show up in the films. Miles Morales just feels like he fits more and his adventures started very street level so that might translate better to an episodic format.
    -----------------------------------
    For anyone that needs to know why OMD is awful please search the internet for Linkara' s video's specifically his One more day review or his One more day Analysis.

I don't think a show would ever come at the expense of the movies. My guess is there's too much money to be made, even with diminishing returns. But I think there's still a way to make this work. Spider-Man is Marvel's biggest hero, so I say go for gusto and do both.

The Netflix series would consist of 10-12 episodes and focus on Peter Parker and his supporting cast, allowing for smaller, more personal arcs that a trilogy of movies can't fully explore. The villains used would be mainly street level, although some who don't require extensive CGI could be used. Chameleon, Tombstone, Silvermane, The Rose, Morbius, Carrion, the Prowler, and Black Tarantula are just a few potential examples. (It's worth noting Netflix's House of Cards had a $100 million dollar budget.)

Then every 1-3 years, release a film in the same continuity, featuring the same actors/characters. Storylines in the films would function independently/stand-alone from the shows, but the relationships and characters would be better informed by those who watch the show. The films could feature villains that would be too much for a television series to feature (ex: symbiotes).

A similar approach is in development with Stephen King's "The Dark Tower" series (both films and a television series that work together). Admittedly this would be a huge undertaking--maybe even beyond the potential rewards. It might mean casting unknown actors willing to join up for the long haul. But if Daredevil Season 1 is any indication, what an achievement it would be.

Fantastic Member

Absolutely. I think Peter needs longer character arcs to do the character right. I think the closest the mcu could possibly get to capturing the feeling of spider-man would be to have a very well done tv show. Won't happen, but it would be the best thing to do.

BANNED

Yes, I believe a Spider-Man tv series (or Netflix series). The thing is, I'm kind of burnt out on Spider-Man overall. His comics have been up and down in quality for the last few years (except for Ultimate Spider-Man which has always been good), the first film series ended on a sour/bitter note, and Sony destroyed a reboot that had a lot of potential (Garfield was a great Spider-Man). I think a live tv/Netflix series would be really good for the character, lower budget production would force the writers to work harder in giving us better stories. And I would be a nice breath of fresh air to see that character put into a format where he goes through longer ongoing stories instead of solo films. Plus, it would open up to him working with Daredevil, Luke Cage and other Street level heroes.

BANNED

Yes. We would get better story / character progression, more than films would have any time or inclination to do.

It would give the supporting cast some time to shine. The Robbie Robertson / Tombstone comic arc would be a great story line to adapt.

I think the power set works better in film.

The supporting cast can also be expensive, given the size.

Many of these points have been addressed in a similar discussion.

http://community.comicbookresources....ght=television
    Sincerely,
    Thomas Mets

I think Spidey works best in an animated tv series. Multimedia doesn't have to be regulated to live action and it would probably work better for a budget.
    Le Suck it, Dolphin!

-God I am so tired.

SCOTT SUMMERS AND EMMA FROST DESERVED BETTER.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Mister Mets View Post
    The supporting cast can also be expensive, given the size.
    Really? Why?

Peter Parker: main character
    Harry Osborn or Hobie Brown: best friend supporting
    Mary Jane
    J Jonah Jameson
    Robbie Robertson
    Aunt May

That's your core cast. Any others would be the villains of the series, in recurring roles or not;

Kingpin
    Tombstone
    Norman Osborn or Roderick Kingsley
    Chameleon

How is that a more sizable cast than any other show with an ensemble cast (like Daredevil, House of Cards or even the Flash TV series)??
    Last edited by Metamorphosis; 04-19-2015 at 11:40 AM.