View Poll Results: Do you think Spider-Man would benefit more from a Netflix series as oppose to a MCU movie?

Voters
32. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

21 65.63%
  • No

11 34.38%
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Cheesedique View Post
    Really? Why?

Peter Parker: main character
    Harry Osborn or Hobie Brown: best friend supporting
    Mary Jane
    J Jonah Jameson
    Robbie Robertson
    Aunt May

That's your core cast. Any others would be the villains of the series, in recurring roles or not;

Kingpin
    Tombstone
    Norman Osborn or Roderick Kingsley
    Chameleon

How is that a more sizable cast than any other show with an ensemble cast (like Daredevil, House of Cards or even the Flash TV series)??
    Presumably there are more Bugle staffers than Jonah and Robbie.

Peter and his best friend likely hang out with other people.
    Sincerely,
    Thomas Mets

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Mister Mets View Post
    Presumably there are more Bugle staffers than Jonah and Robbie.

Peter and his best friend likely hang out with other people.
    You don't have to show and or feature every Bugle staffer at once. Again, see Daredevil for an example of how this would work.

And neither Peter or his BFF have to be shown hanging out with other people. That would take too much focus off of Peter being the main character anyway.

They could have Betty as the best friend, and get a twofer with her being a Bugle employee. Robbie doesn't have to be a main cast member.

As cool as a live-action Spider-Man television series would be, I don't think it could be done well enough on a TV budget.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Tuck View Post
    They could have Betty as the best friend, and get a twofer with her being a Bugle employee. Robbie doesn't have to be a main cast member.

As cool as a live-action Spider-Man television series would be, I don't think it could be done well enough on a TV budget.
    Maybe not right now, but down the road. They would have to be creative with the effects, maybe do more cool-looking practical stuff.

You don't have to show and or feature every Bugle staffer at once. Again, see Daredevil for an example of how this would work.

And neither Peter or his BFF have to be shown hanging out with other people. That would take too much focus off of Peter being the main character anyway.
    It'll be kinda weird if Peter and his BFF don't interact with people regularly.

Daredevil's life is a bit more easily adaptable for a show, since his best friend is his coworker.
    Sincerely,
    Thomas Mets

Extraordinary Member John Ossie's Avatar

I've said this before in another thread where a similar question was asked. Yes, I'd like a Spider-Man series if you could work out how to do it without spending all your budget. I also feel that the supporting characters would benefit more from a tv show then a film as there's more time for their characters to develop, assuming it got a multi-season run.

I think it's safe to assume I voted yes

Anyways that's my opinion LOL.

BANNED

Sure! But why can't he have BOTH a series and movies? They could use the series as a way to get in villains you couldn't star in movies like Shocker, Overdrive, Speed Demon, Beetle, and Boomerang

Quote Originally Posted by Keeper of the Crows View Post
    I don't think a show would ever come at the expense of the movies. My guess is there's too much money to be made, even with diminishing returns. But I think there's still a way to make this work. Spider-Man is Marvel's biggest hero, so I say go for gusto and do both.

The Netflix series would consist of 10-12 episodes and focus on Peter Parker and his supporting cast, allowing for smaller, more personal arcs that a trilogy of movies can't fully explore. The villains used would be mainly street level, although some who don't require extensive CGI could be used. Chameleon, Tombstone, Silvermane, The Rose, Morbius, Carrion, the Prowler, and Black Tarantula are just a few potential examples. (It's worth noting Netflix's House of Cards had a $100 million dollar budget.)

Then every 1-3 years, release a film in the same continuity, featuring the same actors/characters. Storylines in the films would function independently/stand-alone from the shows, but the relationships and characters would be better informed by those who watch the show. The films could feature villains that would be too much for a television series to feature (ex: symbiotes).

A similar approach is in development with Stephen King's "The Dark Tower" series (both films and a television series that work together). Admittedly this would be a huge undertaking--maybe even beyond the potential rewards. It might mean casting unknown actors willing to join up for the long haul. But if Daredevil Season 1 is any indication, what an achievement it would be.
    I think that, if Marvel were extremely careful and smart, and didn't succumb to the temptation to chase short-term gains at the expense of greater long-term rewards, this could work.

Of nearly any other company or character, I wouldn't think it could be pulled off. But Marvel has done spectacularly well for itself, building an unheard of amount of good-will and faith. People will see a show or film based on nothing more than the Marvel brand now, and that's a powerful thing. And Spider-Man is Marvel's biggest character and one of the few true comic book icons in popular culture.

It could be done, in theory, but the level of dedication required of the cast and crew would be have to be superhuman. You'd essentially be asking these actors to be filming constantly for years on end. And nothing could go wrong on either production end, from either venue. All those cogs and wheels would have to turn with precision.

But I actually believe Marvel could pull it off. If they were patient and smart about it.
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.

BANNED

Really? Why?

Mary Jane
    J Jonah Jameson
    Robbie Robertson
    Aunt May

That's your core cast. Any others would be the villains of the series, in recurring roles or not;

Kingpin
    Tombstone
    Chameleon

How is that a more sizable cast than any other show with an ensemble cast (like Daredevil, House of Cards or even the Flash TV series)??
    Serve nothing to Spider-Man(the hero), only Peter Parker, they would serve as rescue fodder or the occasional powerless assistant when trying to expose a weakness to a villian. Peter like the flash needs a supporting cast that engages with him when he's in action or moving the plot.

If they wanted a tv show, they could do much better than netflix, more like HBO or the CW, Spiderman is the most popular marvel hero, so his expense on utilizing him on tv format would be top dollar for tv channel companies.
    Last edited by jimishim12; 04-19-2015 at 05:32 PM.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Mister Mets View Post
    It'll be kinda weird if Peter and his BFF don't interact with people regularly.

Daredevil's life is a bit more easily adaptable for a show, since his best friend is his coworker.
    It could be Peter, Harry, MJ and someone like Randy Robertson or Flash Thompson then, as the core crowd. We're talking what amounts to a few short minutes per episode here.

I'm really not seeing what the problem is, and it seems like a weird thing to get hung up on. Peter's supporting cast is really not that big that it's not unmanageable.

BANNED

Peter's cast isn't nearly as memorable or as engaging as Peter himself on outside media IMO , compare Batman's friends and family and Flashes friends and family to Peter's friends and family, because they are literally far apart from each other than what people remember them by. People like batman's cast the most because they share batman's life outside and inside the costume, same with Flash, thiers a reason people who know Peter is Spidey are shown more than the ones who don't. MJ could be one of those same with Harry, but they don't have character relevancy to be occuring main characters without actually contributing to the main lead in an action sesne.
    Last edited by jimishim12; 04-19-2015 at 07:35 PM.

Id like to se a series done like the original ultimate spiderman comic.....The budget thing may be a problem, But marvel/disney could make it happen. these days tv series are as well done as some movies.

as someone mentioned earlier, it just means the writers need to put more effort into the writing and less in the SFX.

BANNED

There's a bit more of a spectacle demand in A Spider-Man adaption then there is in a Daredevil one. For the most part, DD fights thugs and ninja and maybe the occasional guy on stilts. Spidey dukes it out with science experiments gone wrong. That means a bigger budget.

The point of the Netflix Marvel shows is that they're street-level, meaning cheap to make because of the low requirement for special effects. You can make a Spider-Man show with the current budget restraints, but there's definitely no guarantee that it'll be like folks want. Some concepts are just more expensive to make.

With that said, I'd be up for a Spider-Man Noir adaption.

Fantastic Member

Really? Why?

Mary Jane
    J Jonah Jameson
    Robbie Robertson
    Aunt May

Kingpin
    Tombstone
    Chameleon

If they push him back to high school, they could even cut Harry Osborn, Mary Jane, and Robby Robertson out of the picture. Then instead of those three, they can spend less money on like, 1.5. Bring in Betty Brant, and have Flash Thompson make occasional appearances.

Fantastic Member Talkie Toaster's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Shadow View Post
    Sure! But why can't he have BOTH a series and movies? They could use the series as a way to get in villains you couldn't star in movies like Shocker, Overdrive, Speed Demon, Beetle, and Boomerang
    Haha why not just make a Superior Foes series then?
    (I'd watch the hell out of that BTW)
    Bah weep granah weep ninny bong