Page 1 of 8 12345 ... LastLast
    BANNED

Default Batman is such a Mary Sue character

Batman is like the bella swan from twilight. at least the male superhero version of bella swan. mary sues are usually deemed at poorly written characters

this is what a mary sue is

So, there’s this girl or guy. he or she is tragically orphaned and richer than anyone on the planet. Every guy or girl she meets falls in love with her or him, but in between torrid romances she or he rejects them all because she or he dedicated to what is Pure and Good. well lets out batman to the test shall wee.

He (batman) has genius level intellect, Olympic-athelete level athletic ability and incredible good looks. He (batman) is consumed by terrible angst, but this only makes girls want him more. he (batman) has no superhuman abilities, yet he (batman) is more competent than his superhuman friends and defeats superhumans with ease.

He (batman) has unshakably loyal friends and allies, despite the fact he (batman) treats them pretty badly. Bantam treating his friend badly like most of the justice league episodes where he acts all high and mighty and talks down on everyone but yet they rest of the justice league beg him to be an official member of the team.

They fear and respect him (batman), and defer to her orders. Everyone is obsessed with him, even his enemies are attracted to him (catwoman and poison ivy to name a few). he (batman) can plan ahead for anything and he is generally right with any conclusion he makes. People who defy he (batman) are inevitably wrong.

God, what a Mary Sue.

And this is batman for you. a perfect character without any real flaws. the only flaw he has and the only flaw that can make him weak is thinking of his dead parents which only makes him more enduring to the audience.

To further batman's mary sueness just watch this justice league episode called. EPILOGUE. Batman mary sueneess is true the roof. apparently he is so important that they had to put his dna and spems and get a woman pregnant because the whole world just cant do or live without him.

this is batman who is a plain human character.

I am sorry but batman has to be one of the worst written characters ever. he is the epidemy of what a mary sue is. and mary sues is fiction like i said are usually consider poorly written characters but batman gets a free pass with no explanation because like most of his diehard fans will say that we just have to accept it with no logical explanation because ....HE IS BATMAN. Once again proving his mary sureness.

all you bat fanboys can attack me personally and not my message.

I am sorry but my favourite dc characters are GL, Superman and Flash and I am tired of DC making them all look stupid to prop up batman. batman is the bella swan of the comic book world.
    Last edited by Pryde9; 04-19-2015 at 01:56 AM.

Mighty Member

All and all I think it depends on what Batman story you read. Which interpretation of Batman.

The futures end weekly comes to mind. Actually taking a dig at some of the points you make. There Batman made Superman loose his spirit, there's a theory about Batman dressing the Robins up in colors to draw gunfire and Tim Drake even faked his death in order to get away from Bruce.

Grant Morrison's 7 year run also had a real go at the character. Not only portraying the Batman thing as a sad psychosis, but also having fun with the Robins. All of them looking like little Waynes, so Talia al Ghul starts making Bruce clones in order to make him love her.
    Last edited by borntohula; 04-19-2015 at 06:15 AM.

So, you're another person who hasn't read Broken City yet?
    Last edited by numberthirty; 04-19-2015 at 02:26 AM.

Come to think of it, I think you might mean "Epitome".

BANNED

Uh none of that makes him a mary sue, his drive towards perfection is his greatest flaw,he cant help but be the best and that drive has been exploited by his enemies,his moral code is another flaw,his resolute stubbornness, his absolute belief, his inability to ask for help,trust others,maintain relationships etc. There I just posted some flaws off the top of my head, going by your logic even Superman is a mary sue.

Batman> your favourite hero and that's what pisses you off.

Quote Originally Posted by Pryde9 View Post
    this is what a mary sue is

So, there’s this girl or guy. he or she is tragically orphaned and richer than anyone on the planet. Every guy or girl she meets falls in love with her or him, but in between torrid romances she or he rejects them all because she or he dedicated to what is Pure and Good. well lets out batman to the test shall wee.
    I don't think you know what a Mary Sue is.
    Favorites: Batman, Superman, All-New Wolverine, Deathstroke, Detective Comics, Green Lanterns, Doom Patrol

I love these types of threads because inevitably the people who don't know what a mary sue is will let themselves be known.

BANNED

I don't know what mary sue means... you are right Coal Tiger if Mery Sue's a bad thing than Pyrde9 is probably a Marvel fan boy who likes to diss Batman or something like that.

Incredible Member

This thread will probably get locked soon, but I must ask, why so much hatred for a fictional character? You can just, you know, not read about him.

thread title aka I don't like Batman because more people like him than character X who I happen to like

Danger Doll in pink! Chickfighter's Avatar

Batman's not really a Mary Sue as I see it. I actually like a lot of Mary Sue characters in comics. Batman, at least since the late-80s, not so much. But I would suggest that the stories within the comics themselves become better if Batman is not written as god's gift to vigilante-ism.

I'm a fan of the Stephanie Brown character, particularly as she was portrayed as Batgirl, but also as Spoiler and Robin. She is the one bat character who doesn't come off as being a world's best savant of one sort of another. She's not the greatest ever acrobat, computer whiz, martial artist, detective or whatever. She's just a girl trying to do the right thing, one who refuses to ever give up simply because she doesn't seem to accept that Gotham's darkness isn't too much for her to overcome. At least that's the Steph Brown persona I favor. That is a Mary Sue character. And to me comics are a medium that should be full of unbridled optimism that good can overcome evil. That was the narrative they were originally invented to convey.

In fact I feel the Dark Knight himself frequently needs to be reminded of that sort of optimism, that Gotham is not HIS city, but in fact is home to any and all who want to make it better, each having as much right to defend or decide for it as he does. Whether or not the Batman character actually becomes aware of this fact the writers of the comic certainly need to be. I think Eternal tried to offer a populist message but did it in a very skewed manner by glorifying the importance of Batman to said message. Instead of "I am Batman" being the catchphrase theme it might have gone with "We are Gotham" or something similar to make it clear that the legacy is so much more than just the character himself.
    Last edited by Chickfighter; 04-19-2015 at 06:37 AM.

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by numberthirty View Post
    So, you're another person who hasn't read Broken City yet?
    Great example. It puts a good spin on why Batman does what Batman does!

Astonishing Member

I always thought it was hilarious when stories try to point out that Bruce has poor social skills yet he is never portrayed that way, in fact he's often portrayed as having excellent social skills. In fact most of Bruce's 'flaws' don't actually exist.
    Rules are for lesser men, Charlie - Grand Pa Joe ~ Willy Wonka & Chocolate Factory

I think it has something to do with the fact that hardly anyone reads comics anymore. The audience is so small as to be nonexistent, and what is left really loves Mary Sue batman. Your right DC has made the "normal" human the most unbelievable character in comics.

Quote Originally Posted by The World View Post
    I always thought it was hilarious when stories try to point out that Bruce has poor social skills yet he is never portrayed that way, in fact he's often portrayed as having excellent social skills. In fact most of Bruce's 'flaws' don't actually exist.
    But I think that sometimes Bruce's social skills are more superficial . . . long-term, they tend to fall flat in many instances. (Like with commitments to women.)