Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Quote Originally Posted by Buried Alien View Post
    I also read that Nagai had peripheral involvement (perhaps the original idea for) the GAIKING series, though he did not directly participate in its development.

Buried Alien (The Fastest Post Alive!)
    It was his idea originally apparently.

Toei did not give him any credit and he sued. Nagai has since gone on to say he is originally creator.

It was a thing they did back in the day. You had a good mangaka. You had an anime company. The two came up with a good idea and created a new anime at the same time the mangaka made his own manga of that anime. The two worked to promote the other. GAIKING may have been one of the ideas bounced around between Nagai and Toei though I am not certain of the details.

The Fastest Post Alive! Buried Alien's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Hazard View Post
    It was his idea originally apparently.

Toei did not give him any credit and he sued. Nagai has since gone on to say he is originally creator.
    It's easy to believe, even if it's difficult to verify. The Gaiking mecha has all the earmarks of a Go Nagai creation: it's virtually a gestalt of the Mazingers, Grendizer, and Getter Robo.

Buried Alien - THE FASTEST POST ALIVE!

First CBR Appearance (Historical): November, 1996

First CBR Appearance (Modern): April, 2014

MXAAGVNIEETRO IS RIGHT MyriVerse's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Hazard View Post
    Devilman is bizarre and awesome.
    Yes, and the manga and anime of DevilLady (Devilman Lady) doesn't get the praise it deserves, imo.
    Last edited by MyriVerse; 05-01-2014 at 10:33 AM.
    f/k/a The Black Guardian
    COEXIST | NOEXIST
    ShadowcatMagikДаякѕтая Sto☈mDustMercury MonetRachelSage
    MagnetoNightcrawlerColossusRockslideBeastXavier

The Fastest Post Alive! Buried Alien's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by MyriVerse View Post
    Yes, and the manga and anime of DevilLady (Devilman Lady) doesn't get the praise it deserves, imo.
    There were occasional crossovers between the DEVILMAN and MAZINGER sagas, which always struck me as being odd because even though they're both distinctly Go Nagai works, they don't seem to fit well on a shelf together. It's sort of like teaming up Ghost Rider with Iron Man: both are part of the Marvel Universe, but pairing them up seems counterintuitive.

Buried Alien - THE FASTEST POST ALIVE!

First CBR Appearance (Historical): November, 1996

First CBR Appearance (Modern): April, 2014

Mazinger is the more famous of the two and Go Nagai really likes to promote Devilman, because it's the one he put more effort in.

It's an interesting situation for him.

Quote Originally Posted by Melchior View Post
    I always felt the recent "Kill la Kill" was a homage to him, honestly.

I tend to enjoy his works, the little I have seen. The crassness can occassionally get to me, but it's such a product of the times that I can usually get over it.

And, man, the things he started in the industry, and that he helped push. There are a ton of tropes that were spawned from his works. My old joke is that "Osama Tezuka is the God of Manga, but Go Nagai was the Devil." Just an immense influence on the medium.
    I like this way of thinking. Go Nagai's Devilman continuation, Violence Jack is apparently really sick and gore-y. Or so I've heard/read. Haven't really checked out his stuff much but since his work is considered to be famous or infamous if you prefer, I've been meaning to read/watch something from him. Maybe this next summer I might have the time to catch up on some anime.

Cutey Honey was the only work of Nagai's that i've watched. I liked it. I have yet to try Mazinger Z, but I think I will.