Mighty Member

Default Could a vibranium musical instrument be made?

I don't know enough about metallurgy or physics to be certain. So I am asking about brass or woodwind or stringed or even percussive. I suspect that it is not possible to make a musical instrument from vibranium, but I'm sure there are dynamics to the question I have not considered.
    Reality is for those who are afraid of science fiction.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by MouserGrey View Post
    I don't know enough about metallurgy or physics to be certain. So I am asking about brass or woodwind or stringed or even percussive. I suspect that it is not possible to make a musical instrument from vibranium, but I'm sure there are dynamics to the question I have not considered.
    There are two types of Vibranium.

Wakandan: The Wakandan isotope possesses the ability to absorb all vibrations in the vicinity as well as kinetic energy directed at it. The energy absorbed is stored within the bonds between the molecules that make up the substance. As a result, the more energy Wakandan Vibranium absorbs the tougher it becomes.

Antarctic: Better known as Anti-Metal, this isotope is native to the Savage Land. This variation produces vibrations of a specific wavelength that breaks down the molecular bonds in other metals, causing them to liquefy. If huge quantities of anti-metal (Antarctic Vibranium) are gathered together, the vibrations increase exponentially.

Which one would you choose to make a flute out of?

Mighty Member

I know it's a fictional metal and that it absorbs vibrations. Sound is produced from vibrations and so I am thinking neither type of vibranium would be good for a musical instrument. The air in brass and woodwind produces the vibrations while obviously it's the strings that vibrate on pianos and other stringed instruments. I'm just hoping some of the more scientific minded posters could break down in physics terms the possibility of such an instrument.

I know a fictional instrument made with the metal of either type could be thought up. In fact, I think an instrument that could control the release of the energy absorbed by the music itself would be cool. It may have already been done. What I really want to know is if vibranium were real, would a musical instrument make any sound or would it be instantly absorbed.
    Reality is for those who are afraid of science fiction.

BANNED

Well, the is Ulysses Klaw... Although, I don't know if that counts. I'll think about it some more.
    Last edited by ZNOP; 04-20-2015 at 04:54 AM.

Fantastic Member

If it absorbs vibration, then no. Musical instruments have to resonate to make the sound they make.

BANNED

The movie shield makes all kinds of noise when thrown or hitting something, but the only really resonant sound it's made (i.e., the only one useful for music) is when Thor put the hammer down in the Avengers. So if you had vibranium tubular bells with Uru malets, maybe you could have an instrument.

Quote Originally Posted by ImprobableQuestion View Post
    The movie shield makes all kinds of noise when thrown or hitting something, but the only really resonant sound it's made (i.e., the only one useful for music) is when Thor put the hammer down in the Avengers. So if you had vibranium tubular bells with Uru malets, maybe you could have an instrument.
    Cap's shield is an alloy made of vibranium, iron and a third unknown element, so its ability to make noise might be unique to it.