Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast
    BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by PretenderNX01 View Post
    Well then, there we go.

We did see in one of the prequels, a hologram of the Death Star so I guess someone would know about it or at least that the Empire had a big weapon.
    Well, that's also in the first post on this page, and in the linked article.

Leia didn't take the plans, they were transferred to her ship according to Vader, and presumabely would've gone straight to Yavin after she picked up Kenobi . The plans were stolen in the "First Victory" from the first film's opening crawl, which will presumabely be what this movie will elaborate on.

Also regarding the Rogue callsign, it's only used filmwise in The Empire Strikes Back for Luke's snowspeeder/X-wing squadron. All other times the X-wings are referred to as "Red Squadron" (The original EU stated that the Endor flight was actually Rogue Squadron, but was temporarily renamed Red Squadron in honor of the other Death Star battle). Although there's a deleted part I think in TPM
    s script, where Ric Olie and Bravo Squadron, confused by Anakin's lone starfighter, tag it as "Rogue one" or something like that if I remember correctly.

Ultimate Member

Yes, Vader specifically states that the plans were given to Leia by "Rebel spies." So someone else stole them and then GAVE them to Leia. And it being a group of soldiers who actually did the deed makes much more sense than Leia, who's essentially a political leader in the first film. It'd be kind of cool, and I think that they might go here, if this movie ends basically where ANH begins (or shortly before). Leia gets the plans and then takes off while being pursued by Vader's Star Destroyer.

The funny thing is the Death Star plans thing in the original EU had several contradictory explanations, such as the game Dark Forces, the audio drama, The Crispin Han Solo novels,the X-wing games, the Battlefront games etc. Not to mention how many explanations we had for who actually built the thing and when and where (It was built by the TIE fighter creator, Wedge's bird haired girlfriend, some professor or something), before AOTC and ROTS came out.

Thankfully that's been mostly tossed out.

Quote Originally Posted by Punisher007 View Post
    Yes, Vader specifically states that the plans were given to Leia by "Rebel spies." So someone else stole them and then GAVE them to Leia. And it being a group of soldiers who actually did the deed makes much more sense than Leia, who's essentially a political leader in the first film. It'd be kind of cool, and I think that they might go here, if this movie ends basically where ANH begins (or shortly before). Leia gets the plans and then takes off while being pursued by Vader's Star Destroyer.
    You're probably right, and it only affirms they're playing it safe by pandering to nostalgia. This "era" of the Saga has been covered, if we only saw the aftereffect at the very beginning of ANH. I assumed wrongly they intended to cover new ground with the standalone movies. A film about a clutch of pilots or soldiers reminds me of Battlestar Galactica.

Ultimate Member

Yeah no, not really. They're doing this for the FIRST movie. And given that some people are already complaining about the very idea of "spinoffs," which makes ZERO sense to me, starting here is probably a good idea. And then they can branch off more moving forward. Also, I'm pretty sure that a "gritty war film" with the people behind stuff like Saving Private Ryan, Black Hawk Down, and Zero Dark Thirty (which means that it's probably going to be more in that vein) is something that we HAVEN'T gotten before in a movie.

Amazing Member

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisIII View Post
    The funny thing is the Death Star plans thing in the original EU had several contradictory explanations, such as the game Dark Forces, the audio drama, The Crispin Han Solo novels,the X-wing games, the Battlefront games etc. Not to mention how many explanations we had for who actually built the thing and when and where (It was built by the TIE fighter creator, Wedge's bird haired girlfriend, some professor or something), before AOTC and ROTS came out.

Thankfully that's been mostly tossed out.
    Exact reasons such as this is why I was in huge favor of resetting the EU canon. It seemed with every game and novel being released the quality control and consistency lacked and caused everything to become so diluted. Maybe with this "spin-off" movie we can finally get everything on track and under control.

Ahhhh, take all of my money. I wanna see many Bothans dying at the climax of the film.

Astonishing Member Lady Warp Spasm's Avatar

Well that slapped together teaser made me sit up and take notice. Now it all depends upon how they build upon that. I like the idea of an actual war being fought in Star Wars by soldiers so...
    archer * magician *soldier * spy

For honor... Madam-Shogun-Assassin's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Lady Warp Spasm View Post
    I like the idea of an actual war being fought in Star Wars by soldiers so...
    yeah me too, I really want more military science fiction on the big screen. it seems to be a neglected sub-genre.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Madam-Shogun-Assassin View Post
    yeah me too, I really want more military science fiction on the big screen. it seems to be a neglected sub-genre.
    Yeah, talk about a missed opportunity with the prequel movies. Mostly set around the time of the Clone Wars, never really shows the Clone Wars.

Quote Originally Posted by Hiromi View Post
    There's no reason whatsoever that the Rebels couldn't have been using the Rogue callsign before Yavin, all the old Rogue Squadron stuff is almost entirely EU and thus non canon now.
    Except that in the first movie it was red squadron and not rogue group who showed up in empire with luke andwedge as members. Both of them had been members of red squadron.

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisIII View Post
    Leia didn't take the plans, they were transferred to her ship according to Vader, and presumabely would've gone straight to Yavin after she picked up Kenobi . The plans were stolen in the "First Victory" from the first film's opening crawl, which will presumabely be what this movie will elaborate on.

Also regarding the Rogue callsign, it's only used filmwise in The Empire Strikes Back for Luke's snowspeeder/X-wing squadron. All other times the X-wings are referred to as "Red Squadron" (The original EU stated that the Endor flight was actually Rogue Squadron, but was temporarily renamed Red Squadron in honor of the other Death Star battle). Although there's a deleted part I think in TPM
    s script, where Ric Olie and Bravo Squadron, confused by Anakin's lone starfighter, tag it as "Rogue one" or something like that if I remember correctly.
    Were wedge's team not rogue squadron in jedi?

Quote Originally Posted by saul_on_the_road_to_damascus View Post
    Except that in the first movie it was red squadron and not rogue group who showed up in empire with luke andwedge as members. Both of them had been members of red squadron.
    Which doesn't really have any bearing on what I said, all that means is that Rogue designation wasn't used for the Battle of Yavin, a squadron is a specific number of specific aircraft, just because they used Red for Yavin doesn't necessarily mean every X Wing squadron in the Rebel Alliance was a part of it. It could even be changed on a mission by mission basis. There isn't any real canon I'm aware of that sets this kind of stuff in stone for the main SW canon now.
    Last edited by Hiromi; 08-15-2015 at 04:31 PM.