Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Hiromi View Post
    Which doesn't really have any bearing on what I said, all that means is that Rogue designation wasn't used for the Battle of Yavin, a squadron is a specific number of specific aircraft, just because they used Red for Yavin doesn't necessarily mean every X Wing squadron in the Rebel Alliance was a part of it. It could even be changed on a mission by mission basis. There isn't any real canon I'm aware of that sets this kind of stuff in stone for the main SW canon now.
    Oh no I agree. There were several squardrons of xfighters. I just find it odd that luke and wedge, the serviving members of red squadron would both be recruited by rogue red squardron. I always assumed luke started rogue squadron after the battle of yavin. Wasn't he the leader on hoth. I find it more believable that he was given a squadron rather than he was recruited by one and made the leader

Red, Gold, and well pretty much all the Yavin Squadrons were pretty decimated after the Battle of Yavin, they were probably simply absorbed by Rogue and other squadrons rather than try and completely rebuild Red Squadron, and in the couple years between Yavin and Hoth Luke could have assumed command due to pilot turnover/death on the basis that he was an amazing pilot/the guy who blew up the friggin Deathstar, basically we have big ole voids between movies right now until the new canon starts to fill it back in, all we can do is use headcanon until t gets fleshed out.
    Last edited by Hiromi; 08-15-2015 at 05:40 PM.

Donnie Yen in a Star Wars film officially wins the day. All around solid cast for this, definitely one of my most anticipated films.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Séb View Post
    Donnie Yen in a Star Wars film officially wins the day. All around solid cast for this, definitely one of my most anticipated films.
    It's also been reported they're using the same Ultra Panavision 70 anamorphic lenses from The Hateful Eight.

I'm still not really sure how I feel about this movie. I'm not terribly interested in moving backwards through the Star Wars franchise again as that's exactly what the last three movies did. I'm definitely okay with doing a "cinematic universe" and spin-off films for Star Wars but feel the concept is more appealing if they're stories that are taking place at the same time as The Force Awakens. If they do more prequel movies, I'd prefer they go WAY back in history, like hundreds or thousands of years prior to Episode I. I'm a casual Star Wars fan but it seems to me like there's a lot of potential in the ancient history of the franchise and all of the different Sith Lords that reside there. An entire movie about the team that stole the Death Star plans just isn't very enticing to me and feels like it's filling a gap that no one really asked for. Perhaps I'm in the minority.

Although, this being the first Star Wars film to have nothing to do with Jedis is sort of interesting. Even if this wouldn't have been my first pick for a spin-off movie I'm sure I'll be in the theater opening night. I just hope they get a little more creative after Episode VII.

Cast so far looks freakin awesome, they put together such a great multicultural crew.
    Maybe not revealed yet, but wish there was a couple of aliens among the lead group shown though.
    Also pic looks like they are in a Yavin temple secret base.

I can't believe we are getting the film of the first few lines of the ANH opening crawl.

Fan concept...

Last edited by Güicho; 08-16-2015 at 11:49 AM.

All the speculation about how this crew might sink up with the "X-wing Rogue Squadron" concept, truth is this crew might not even use X-Wings for this mission.
    Allot of people I think are just hearing Rogue and assuming = X-wing Squadron.

The theft of the Death Star plans was a secret mission, although the original New Hope crawl does include: "...Rebel spaceships striking from a hidden base.." Maybe X-Wings will provide cover, and they may have them (for initial drop and/or escape) , but more likely they'll inevitably commandeer Imperial ship(s), to infiltrate the Death Star to get the plans.

Maybe they should have called this film "REBEL SPIES" as per the classic a New Hope crawl.
    Which is how they were referred to:

"...During the battle, Rebel spies managed to steal secret plans to the Empire’s ultimate weapon..."

The first image released certainly reads more covert-operation.

Sadley as that reality sinks in, those expecting/assuming the bright "Rogue Squadron" is the focus, might start whining.
    Even though this concept is totally awesome.
    Last edited by Güicho; 08-16-2015 at 03:03 PM.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Güicho View Post
    Is Donnie Yen's character blind?

Quote Originally Posted by simbob4000 View Post
    Is Donnie Yen's character blind?
    It sure looks that way.

The "Rogue" designation isn't used in Return of the Jedi at all, like I wrote earlier. There's the "gold" (Lando's) "Red" (Wedge's) "Grey"(Y-wing?) and I think "Green" (A-wing) groups in the finished film.

The concept of Rogue Squadron as a rebel elite force is primarily an Expanded Universe creation, introduced I think in the comics, games and novels, although based on the name of the ESB group.

Also, from the pics and filming, looks like they'll be reusing some props from "Force Awakens"-the Stormtrooper transports seen in the FA trailers are being re-used for a scene of Stormtroopers on a beach, and it looks like Yavin base (Which appears to be in TFA, or a similar looking jungle temple) is being reused. Not really a problem at all-the other films did the same thing, they even used some footage and plates from the original Star Wars for some quick shots in ROTJ and TPM.

BANNED

BANNED

BANNED

Last edited by simbob4000; 07-15-2016 at 05:41 PM.

Looks like Jimmy Smits might appear in the Sizzle Reel as Bail, and they also seem to be using General Dodonna (Although played by a different actor). Dodonna was the guy who gave the rebels the briefing about the DS in the original film. Smits did reprise the role for the Force Unleashed video game, and seeing as they also are using the (mostly deleted) ROTS actress for Mon Mothma and Ewan Mcgregor in TFA (And considered using Hayden as a force ghost), I don't think they mind using elements from the prequels as much as some fans think.

I kind of like the concept they seem to be going with Donnie Yen's character, which is actually sort of similar to Max Von Sydow's from The Force Awakens (and to a degree Maz)-that there are regular characters in the Star Wars universe that might possess the force, or stick to the ideals of the Jedi, or have some worship of the force or whatever, but are not tied to either the Skywalker family line, or part of the Jedi/Sith. While the concept of other force sensitives not belonging to the orders has been done in the EU a few times, and it's implied in the OT films that the rebels have respect for the force by using it as their motto ("May the force be with us")it's kind of cool to see that it's making it's way into the films.
    Last edited by ChrisIII; 07-16-2016 at 06:24 AM.

BANNED