Page 5 of 12 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Flyattractor View Post
    Its the 21st Century PC SJW version of EFNYC. But lets see. A Prisoner that is being more or less forced to go on what is for all examples appears to be a suicide mission via threat and promise of some reward for pulling it off. ...Yeah. Pretty Superficial.
    Snake didn't give two craps about saving the president and was forced into compliance with an explosive collar and still tried to kill his handlers the second he was handed a weapon

So yes, the fact that they both are built on a basic trope that existed LONG before Escape from New York came about is a superficial similarity given they don't seem similar at all in personality, motivation, etc.

But then given that you've labeled this a "sjw version of anything" based likely on nothing more than the fact that there's a female lead tells me there's nothing more to really talk about.
    Last edited by Hiromi; 08-12-2016 at 01:07 PM.

I'm impressed with the trailer. Reminds me of the OT.

Mighty Member

honestly, I'm expecting that we don't even see Vader until just before the credits. it's become painfully obvious that the plans to the Death Star have been stolen and will be delivered into the hands of the Rebellion. wouldn't be the least bit surprised if Vader shows up in the last 10 minutes, summarily executes all the major parties and then takes over the operation... fleet moves out in pursuit, roll credits. otherwise it will just make him look like another bungler.

just keep Donnie Yen's character alive, please. and if they DO kill him... have him go out like a badass fighting Vader when he knows that the others won't stand a chance. come to think of it, that's the only alternative to my first idea that won't make Vader look like a bumbling idiot. there's no shame in having a tough time defeating Donnie Yen while wearing an iron lung in suit you can barely see out of.

BANNED

Given the kind of movie it is, I would think most of the team will die.

Its the 21st Century PC SJW version of EFNYC. But lets see. A Prisoner that is being more or less forced to go on what is for all examples appears to be a suicide mission via threat and promise of some reward for pulling it off. ...Yeah. Pretty Superficial.
    Did you mention the EFNY-vibe when people were talking about Suicide Squad? Or just here because the diversity seemed SJW ordained to you?

Kind of curious as to why the Death Star is upside down in one shot. Perhaps it's kind of a nod to some of the concept art, which sometimes had the dish in that position-certainly, Disney's Star Wars output so far has been extremely reverential to that stuff. Starkiller also kind of was similar to some concept art of the DS which had the dish in the center-(Also in the old computer graphics Star Wars uses for the display of the plans themselves, oddly enough).

Ultimate Member

It's also possible that the DS can turn itself in certain situations to get a clearer/better shot. Or it's just a cool camera trick (this movie looks incredibly well-shot overall BTW) on Edward's part.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Punisher007 View Post
    It's also possible that the DS can turn itself in certain situations to get a clearer/better shot. Or it's just a cool camera trick (this movie looks incredibly well-shot overall BTW) on Edward's part.
    They shot some of it with the Arri Alexa 65, (digital 65mm) and using the Ultra Panavision 70 lenses from The Hateful Eight. Not really sure why the whole thing wasn't done that way. The cinematographer has also done some really good looking movies like Foxcatcher and Killing Them Softly.

Quote Originally Posted by Hiromi View Post
    Snake didn't give two craps about saving the president and was forced into compliance with an explosive collar and still tried to kill his handlers the second he was handed a weapon

So yes, the fact that they both are built on a basic trope that existed LONG before Escape from New York came about is a superficial similarity given they don't seem similar at all in personality, motivation, etc.

But then given that you've labeled this a "sjw version of anything" based likely on nothing more than the fact that there's a female lead tells me there's nothing more to really talk about.

As for the SJW thing. Abrams has stated how he wants to SJW things up by pushing his beliefs into the movies as much as he can. Call it Diversity, Fairness Political Correctness....whatever floats your boat.

Fantastic Member

Having other types of people in starring roles REALLY bothers some people I see lol...

I do wonder what other tech might premiere in the film that haven't been shown yet?

Quote Originally Posted by MaxMatrix View Post
    Having other types of people in starring roles REALLY bothers some people I see lol...

I do wonder what other tech might premiere in the film that haven't been shown yet?
    It only bothers me when its done in a crappy way. Like it did with Ray(?) in AFW. She was a boring Mary Sue.

BANNED

It only bothers me when its done in a crappy way. Like it did with Ray(?) in AFW. She was a boring Mary Sue.
    We don't know if this character will be a boring Mary Sue yet, so why don't you just hold off on bitching about that aspect of the movie for a while?

I'm guessing now that you've seen your Escape from New York point doesn't seem to hold any water you're done with complaining about that too?

BANNED

Never really noticed it until I saw this picture today, but the robot is very Miyazaki looking.

Makes me wish that Rogue One robot looks more worn and weathered.

stormtrooper beach-party feels weird
    trailer has a lot going. didnīt know MM was her father. something that looks like a jedi temple ruin. beautiful DS cloud shot.
    space combat, yay
    Last edited by abulafia; 10-13-2016 at 09:20 AM.
    I must not fear. Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain.