Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Default Sure doesn't seem like Superman will get the Frank Miller treatment in Batman v Superman...

Seems like Zack Snyder is a good guy and that Superman is in good hands. Batman v Superman will honor Superman.

This doesn't change anything for me. The tone was set from the moment he read the dialogue from the DKR. But I should have expected that sine it's batman, and you gotta cater to the bigger fanbase since $$$.

Extraordinary Member Vanguard-01's Avatar

This is all very encouraging.

Sounds like DC is building the DCCU around Superman. Not Batman.

This could actually do much to possibly re-establish Superman as the "top dog" of the comic book world. Even if it's only in the movies.

One can certainly hope.
    Though much is taken, much abides; and though
    We are not now that strength which in old days
    Moved earth and heaven, that which we are, we are,
    One equal temper of heroic hearts,
    Made weak by time and fate, but strong in will
    To strive, to seek, to find, and not to yield.

--Lord Alfred Tennyson--

Boing Boing Baggies. Baggie_Saiyan's Avatar

Not only Superman but the DCCU in general is in good hands.
    "Yes...Mondo Cool"- Vegeta.

Phantom Zone Escapee manofsteel1979's Avatar

I can't see how anyone who watches this montage can come away thinking Snyder is trying to undermine and "ruin" Superman. Yes, MOS had it's issues, but I never got the sense Superman was being disrespected or that the film makers were ashamed of Superman...unlike other big screen live action Superman directors (looking at you Richard Lester and Bryan Singer). If Snyder can be faulted for anything, is that he almost takes things a bit too seriously, which leads to a somewhat overtly somber tone...but I rather have that than campy sight gags and cheese. There's been a respect problem with Superman in the larger media ever since SUPERMAN IV, and I applaud Snyder's attempts to make Superman the alpha of the movie DCU. MOS maybe wasn't AVENGERS level box office, but the fact that people are still are debating over it nearly two years later is a good thing. It woke people up and made people passionate over this character take notice, for good or ill. People can no longer take Superman for granted. Right there is a victory over apathy.

Not a Newbie Member JBatmanFan05's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by manofsteel1979 View Post
    If Snyder can be faulted for anything, is that he almost takes things a bit too seriously, which leads to a somewhat overtly somber tone...but I rather have that than campy sight gags and cheese.
    I'd rather if Snyder offered balance and he clearly has no interest in that. Dark Superman it is. That's all Snyder and DC are interested in....only dark edgy testosterone-laden baddassery for Superman or no Superman movies.

Snyder's tone just sucks and shows how the corporate world views Superman.
    Last edited by JBatmanFan05; 04-20-2015 at 01:47 PM.
    Things I love: Batman, Superman, AEW, old films, Lovecraft

Grant Morrison: “Adults...struggle desperately with fiction, demanding constantly that it conform to the rules of everyday life. Adults foolishly demand to know how Superman can possibly fly, or how Batman can possibly run a multibillion-dollar business empire during the day and fight crime at night, when the answer is obvious even to the smallest child: because it's not real.”

BANNED

My question is: Was MOS partly made the way it was for Batman's benefit? Did Snyder really make the plot for this second film based on fans reactions for the first one, or was the Superman's Origin movie written with Batman in mind, not Superman?

Quote Originally Posted by JBatmanFan05 View Post
    I'd rather if Snyder offered balance and he clearly has no interest in that. Dark Superman it is. That's all Snyder and DC are interested in....only dark edgy testosterone-laden baddassery for Superman or no Superman movies.

Snyder's tone just sucks and shows how the corporate world views Superman.
    MOS Superman was not dark at all. I don't know what you guys are talking about.

Quote Originally Posted by dumbduck View Post
    My question is: Was MOS partly made the way it was for Batman's benefit? Did Snyder really make the plot for this second film based on fans reactions for the first one, or was the Superman's Origin movie written with Batman in mind, not Superman?
    Didn't they announce BvS at comic con 2013? 1 month after MoS? Looks like they planned this from the getgo.

Quote Originally Posted by Francisco View Post
    MOS Superman was not dark at all. I don't know what you guys are talking about.
    Right? I can only remember on scene in the dark. BvS will obviously have more cuz Batman.

Quote Originally Posted by Baggie_Saiyan View Post
    Right? I can only remember on scene in the dark. BvS will obviously have more cuz Batman.
    I meant the character itself. Clark wasn't a dark person he didn't have a dark personality. He was basically a good guy searching for the meaning of life and his origin.

Quote Originally Posted by Francisco View Post
    I meant the character itself. Clark wasn't a dark person he didn't have a dark personality. He was basically a good guy searching for the meaning of life and his origin.
    Ahh. Well I agree with that too, the scene after he killed Zod certainly didn't seem like how a dark person would react, you could see how much it hurt him.

I think that when people talks about dark don't realize it is the world and certain situations which are dark but that the character himself is not much different from what he has been portrayed before. Yeah he isn't winking to the camera as much as before but he's not a dark character.

My only concern about this video is that everything you see here was recorded long ago, and most of the comments Snyder says were when he was only the pitchman for one movie (Man of Steel) and one character (Superman). He gained a lot of new responsibilities since he made those statements, so who knows what changed.

On the other hand, if he really meant all those things he said, and these ideas of his carried over to this upcoming movie, then good for us and good for him.

Ultimate Member

Superman himself wasn't "dark" in MOS. He was facing a pretty "dark" threat however (a genocidal super-powered alien warrior meant on exterminating humanity). And you know what, that's fine. And it very much looks like this movie is dealing with the fallout from MOS, which is the right way to go imo. Actually, if you're going to bring Batman in, then this is pretty much the best place/context possible to do that.