Amazing Member

Default Life after Secret Wars & Convergence

Does anyone think that things will get better after these events. I mean these are supposed to be reboots in a sense, right? I want to see things simplified a bit but as a long time reader I don't want to lose all of the history kind of like we did in the New 52. I'm particularly worried about what Marvel is going to do with the X-Men after secret wars, and I read somewhere that continuity isn't going to matter anymore in DC after convergence.

Well, first thing, don't just believe random speculation you see on the Internet.

As far as "better", well, that's subjective, and depends on what you do and don't like about what they're doing now.
    "It's not whether you win or lose, it's whether I win or lose." - Peter David, on life

"If you can't say anything nice about someone, sit right here by me." - Alice Roosevelt Longworth, on manners

"You're much stronger than you think you are." - Superman, on humankind

All-New, All-Different Marvel Checklist

Extraordinary Member John Ossie's Avatar

Wait and see whether or not it'll be better I think. I'm a positive guy by nature so I'll say ''Yes'' as for whether or not it'll be better.

Amazing Member

I don't usually believe everything that I read but I do believe that DC and Marvel both are always looking to grab new readers and doing away with continuity would make it easier on new readers. What I read said something like... Continuity between titles wasn't going to matter, like Batman could show up in Green Lantern and something they do in that book could go against something that happened in Batman, in a way they are already doing this in DC and Marvel, I mean Wolverine was everywhere all the time, basically making it easier on the editors I guess. I personally like continuity between titles, and I like for things to make sense. And on the other question, No I don't like whats going on in comics right now, what I did like for instance was the Morrison run on X-men(minus the black leather costumes) Joss Whedon's run on X-men, of course the Claremont years, pre-New 52 Dick Grayson and Tim Drake, I do like Scott Snyders Batman and Bendis' Uncanny is pretty good too

Astonishing Member FanboyStranger's Avatar

I'm not sure what the effect will be on Marvel, but I do like that DC is sending out the message that they want individual books to develop on their own rather than micro-manage them into a overarching universe. I guess the real test will be if any of their new books actually succeed financially.

BANNED

As long as a book has a good writer then continuity, inter-connectivity, and history are only as important as that writer needs them to be. They're tools in the tool box, meant to be used to build good stories. I was personally excited for the New 52 and was eager to check out some of the new titles. Most of them were either cancelled or quickly saw creative team changes, and they didn't do much to fill the void so I'm now buying more Marvel books than DC. Depending on how things go it might swing the other way around, but it'll depend solely (for me) on the creative teams on new books.

Amazing Member

Quote Originally Posted by CSTowle View Post
    As long as a book has a good writer then continuity, inter-connectivity, and history are only as important as that writer needs them to be. They're tools in the tool box, meant to be used to build good stories. I was personally excited for the New 52 and was eager to check out some of the new titles. Most of them were either cancelled or quickly saw creative team changes, and they didn't do much to fill the void so I'm now buying more Marvel books than DC. Depending on how things go it might swing the other way around, but it'll depend solely (for me) on the creative teams on new books.
    yea you make a good point, creative teams and the editors are really important. I'm mainly worried about who is going to be writing Uncanny X-Men after Bendis leaves, he has not been my most favorite X-Men writer but I have enjoyed his run, I wasn't sure how secret wars was going to affect the X-men and now the X-office editor is changing and Bendis is leaving, so I guess i'll just have to wait and see.

BANNED

It's all a matter of perspective.

Secret Wars I'll get to see my beloved MU transform right before my eyes in front of millions. The good and the bad.

Post-Convergence remains to be seen since it's such a mixed bag - which has always been DC's thing. (But, it has also been it's downfall).