Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Alastor View Post
    Implying they never had one for the ASM movies in the first place.
    Hey, that's not fair, Sony totally had a plan. It was "We have to copy what Marvel is doing with as few resources as possible." Got to keep up trying to pass off the bare minimum as something great!

I've never doubted that there was enough material for a Spider-Man Cinematic Universe, but it's clear it should have been better managed.

Astonishing Member

The stupid thing is that Amazing Spider-man: Kraven SHOULD have been ASM 2.

Kraven was my number one choice for a follow up to ASM and made the most sense after having a "man spider" fighting an overgrown Lizard across NYC. If they needed to add the Norman element, fine, but THIS should have been the film they made. They could have still explored the darker themes they wanted to when they rebooted the franchise instead of the mishmash they created with ASM2.

As for the rest of Sony's plans, my biggest issue is that excluding Black Cat and the Sinister Six, all of the films are Spider-person - Spider-person future, Bad Spider-person, homicidal Spider-person. That would have burnt viewers out on the Spider-man franchise much faster than anything else.

No, they needed to diversify by actually exploring the wealth of characters attached to the Spider-man family like Silver Sable and Cardiac or whoever. Reference Spider-man, don't have him cameo or star in every film. Two Spider-men film and spin-offs is just again too much.
    Last edited by Ceebiro; 04-21-2015 at 09:36 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Phantom Roxas View Post
    Hey, that's not fair, Sony totally had a plan. It was "We have to copy what Marvel is doing with as few resources as possible." Got to keep up trying to pass off the bare minimum as something great!
    You're clearly an insider at Sony. There's no other way you could know this.
    "Tell me there's something better. Go ahead, try."

There is so much up and down crazy there I don't even know how to process it.

I was also amused by the stuff about the Savage Land, which kind of confirms something I've suspected for a long time: For a lot of the obscure or complicated character origins, the Studios aren't actually sure WHO has the rights. The rights issues confuses them as much as it confuses us.

Take Me Higher The Negative Zone's Avatar
    Earth. (Unless I've been kidnapped by Skrulls)

That summarization for the Kraven prequel, wouldn't make a lot of sense with the continuity of ASM 2.

Rachel turned into Ahab's baby momma by Marvel. Disgusting.

Quote Originally Posted by cyberhubbs View Post
    Eh. It's an actual plan, sure, but sounds like Juan stopped reading comics sometime in the 90s.
    Eh, the 2nd half of 2099 seems to be a call back to the 2099 book before Spiderverse so that's not that old of a story.

Quote Originally Posted by Dabrikishaw View Post
    I've never doubted that there was enough material for a Spider-Man Cinematic Universe, but it's clear it should have been better managed.
    Yeah, seeing this list makes it clear that there are enough characters to not only create a Spider-Man Cinematic Universe, but that they could potentially all sync together just as the Avengers movies do.

However, the specifics of the list are pretty meh.

Cool to see spider-clones mentioned though!

-Pav, who thinks seeing Kaine on the big screen in his original costume would be totally boss...
    You were Spider-Man then. You and Peter had agreed on it. But he came back right when you started feeling comfortable.
    You know what it means when he comes back

"You're not the better one, Peter. You're just older."
    --------------------
    Closet full of comics? Consider donating to my school! DM for details

Quote Originally Posted by GrandEleven View Post
    I'm going to be honest .... this reeks of fake fanservice. Yeah I know it was posted on wikileaks ... but basically everything about this email screams wrong.

Reasons:

1. Head of marketing (for all of Sony) is apparently very caught up with the intricacies of the Spider-man universe. Casual dropping of names as if anyone other than spider-man diehards would know who they are (Scarlet Spider) to calling out Carnage as "the event everyone is wanting" (most people have no idea who carnage is ... he's just a spin off of Venom's popularity anyway).

2. Reference to Earth 616 .... really? Again only comic regulars know anything about the multiverse layout. Even Marvel's own movies avoid using that reference because EVERYONE knows that the movie audience isn't ready for that much Sci-Fi yet. Email to a marketing exec the first thing he'll say is "that means nothing to me ... how do we make this accessible".

3. "This would be a hard PG-13 with the possibility of an unrated bloodier version for home entertainment." If there was any doubt this was written by a hardcore fanboy: this is the neon sign of fake.

I could be wrong of course ... but this just feels off on a thousand levels.

OH and sorry but this line here:
    "Clearly laid out for the next five years at least that shows the fanship and the public that Spidey is still in safe hands."

I think the whorl reason there's so much rumor Spidey will end up back at marvel is because the public has no faith Spidey is in safe hands. At all. All that stock was blown on Spiderman 3, and the reboot did nothing to fix that.
    Very good analysis. Just because it's on the Internet does not mean it's true.

Quote Originally Posted by GrandEleven View Post
    I'm going to be honest .... this reeks of fake fanservice. Yeah I know it was posted on wikileaks ... but basically everything about this email screams wrong.

Reasons:

1. Head of marketing (for all of Sony) is apparently very caught up with the intricacies of the Spider-man universe. Casual dropping of names as if anyone other than spider-man diehards would know who they are (Scarlet Spider) to calling out Carnage as "the event everyone is wanting" (most people have no idea who carnage is ... he's just a spin off of Venom's popularity anyway).

2. Reference to Earth 616 .... really? Again only comic regulars know anything about the multiverse layout. Even Marvel's own movies avoid using that reference because EVERYONE knows that the movie audience isn't ready for that much Sci-Fi yet. Email to a marketing exec the first thing he'll say is "that means nothing to me ... how do we make this accessible".

3. "This would be a hard PG-13 with the possibility of an unrated bloodier version for home entertainment." If there was any doubt this was written by a hardcore fanboy: this is the neon sign of fake.

I could be wrong of course ... but this just feels off on a thousand levels.

OH and sorry but this line here:
    "Clearly laid out for the next five years at least that shows the fanship and the public that Spidey is still in safe hands."

I think the whorl reason there's so much rumor Spidey will end up back at marvel is because the public has no faith Spidey is in safe hands. At all. All that stock was blown on Spiderman 3, and the reboot did nothing to fix that.
    It's an internal document, so it's real. However, it's from a guy in marketting rather than Marc Webb, any of the Directors attached to spinoffs or any of the writers. This time one of the guys who writes really fannish stuff happened to be employed by Sony.
    Sincerely,
    Thomas Mets

Quote Originally Posted by Phantom Roxas View Post
    If Sony had stuck to that plan, they'd have been well-off.

One problem is that they forgot the "few resources" part, so that Amazing Spider-Man 2 had a really high budget, which meant it had to earn more money to be a hit.
    Sincerely,
    Thomas Mets

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Mister Mets View Post
    It's an internal document, so it's real. However, it's from a guy in marketting rather than Marc Webb, any of the Directors attached to spinoffs or any of the writers. This time one of the guys who writes really fannish stuff happened to be employed by Sony.
    Wow, so the guy at Sony just screwed around and had the email leaked.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Sardorim View Post
    Eh, the 2nd half of 2099 seems to be a call back to the 2099 book before Spiderverse so that's not that old of a story.
    True. Just a lot of 90s lore included in his ideas. You can usually tell someone's favorite era by what they're willing to use from a mythos.

Not that the 2099 stuff is a bad idea. We have the special effects quality to do the concept justice these days.

BANNED

IF this is indeed real. I hope they still get around to Kaine and Miguel(Just give us Kaine without killing Gwen again please)

Quote Originally Posted by Dabrikishaw View Post
    There is so much up and down crazy there I don't even know how to process it.

I was also amused by the stuff about the Savage Land, which kind of confirms something I've suspected for a long time: For a lot of the obscure or complicated character origins, the Studios aren't actually sure WHO has the rights. The rights issues confuses them as much as it confuses us.
    Oh, it's both scary and hysterical when you read this stuff, that's for sure. And in case you guys are wondering about what Spider-Man has to do with the Savage Land, that ties into their planned Sinister Six movie which was supposed to be written and directed by Drew Goddard. And if you thought the proposal from Screen Gem's Executive Director of Creative Advertising was nuts, get a load of what we might have actually gotten from the Sinister Six spin-off, which was green-lit and in development.

http://www.spidermancrawlspace.com/2...ter-six-movie/
    --Mike McNulty, a.k.a. Stillanerd. Contributor for Bam Smack Pow! and Viral Hare
    Previous Articles for Whatever A Spider Can.
    Previous Articles for Spider-Man Crawlspace.

Don't ever take a fence down until you know the reason why it was put up.--G.K. Chesterton