Page 2 of 55 FirstFirst 1234561252 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Rahul View Post
    This is a case of having your cake and eating it too. It only seems to be the time displaced Iceman rather than the main one(although I have no idea what happened to regular Iceman).
    If Bobby's younger-self is gay, so is his older-self.
    Pull List
    Avengers, Captain America, Daredevil, Fantastic Four, Hulk, Iron Man, Spider-Man, Thor, Wolverine, Uncanny X-Men
    Justice League, Action Comics, Superman, Detective Comics, Batman, Wonder Woman, Green Lantern, Flash, Aquaman, Cyborg

All-New Member

Agreed! I just hope Bendis and Marvel realize that....the dialogue was quite vague

This is the least shocking "outing" of all time...

Quote Originally Posted by randomengine View Post
    It's really more complicated than that.
    Both the ideas that people can choose their sexuality and that they are born as their sexuality is really over-simplification.
    "Memento Mori if the nineth lion ate the sun."
    -Zero III

"The man on the moon rules the infinite time."
    -Phi

I am all for Bobby being gay. This forum has been saying so for years. But that was soo problematic. First Jean Grey reads his private thoughts, then she FORCES him to come out, then "you are not bi".

"Iceman finally agrees with Jean that he’s “full gay.” " It shouldn't be up to another person to make you come out or not. It's a personal decision.

Edit: I also hope Bendis will explore this regarding old Iceman, otherwise this feels like it was done just for shock.
    Last edited by Viteh; 04-21-2015 at 06:53 AM.

Amazing Member

I'm totally okay with that. I actually think it may benefit the character at this point while happily also giving readers a rare top level LGBT hero.

Maybe Jeen's just screwing with him, though. That's a pretty awkward conversation.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Viteh View Post
    I am all for Bobby being gay. This forum has been saying so for years. But that was soo problematic. First Jean Grey reads his private thoughts, then she FORCES him to come out, then "you are not bi".

"Iceman finally agrees with Jean that he’s “full gay.” " It shouldn't be up to another person to make you come out or not. It's a personal decision.
    Yeah, I had a giggle about it because of that. Hardly the most sympathetic or polite way to "out" a character.

Mild-Mannered Reporter BlitheringToot's Avatar

Edit: I also hope Bendis will explore this regarding old Iceman, otherwise this feels like it was done just for shock.
    You know, there's always the possibility Jeen really DID "make him come out." All she wanted was a gay best friend ...
    "What would you prefer? Yellow spandex?" – Scott Summers, 2000

I agree with this. I'm pretty indifferent on Bobby being gay and I think I'd be on board if another writer does something with it (for example had Liu gone there it would've been fine), but this was just poorly done. Borderline distasteful.
    Last edited by JL81790; 04-21-2015 at 06:59 AM.

Extraordinary Member

Yeah, so glad I dropped Bendis last week. Only regret is I didn't stick to my guns when he started.

Forget any bullcrap about representation and junk, but just from a continuity perspective, no one, not a single telepathic teammate, or even more likely enemy, bothered to bring this up? Good one, Bendis, good one.

Niffleheim

Jean talked him into being gay lol! Where is the self discovery in this?
    Last edited by Tofali; 04-21-2015 at 07:24 AM.

Its not even a retcon. Older Iceman is not gay. So if younger is thrn perhaps the All New kids come from somewhere other than 616 or they will now start diverging from thier original personalities and sexual orientations. Its time travel, anything is possible.
    "Dear World: the nation of mutantkind is watching you. Do not #$%& with us." -Cable-

BANNED

Eh... based on his older self, I didn't see this one coming. (No, I don't believe several failed relationships is an indicator... ask Logan and his 100 girlfriends, or Stark).

That is also the deeper problem for me after reading that page.
    As you say, Jean out's him... probably still within X-23's earshot, it's not his choice and that could make things even more awkward for him.

Then there is that dangerous thought that Bobby is simply the victim of a super-powerful teenage telepath projecting traits onto him without knowing it. (I strongly assume this is not the case, but it very well could be.)

I am guessing, Bendis is setting up some plot about Jean Grey abusing her powers for #600, because otherwise this was just lazy writing. He could have made a story about young Bobby coming out in his own terms. The whole "back in the 60s it was hard" makes sense. That could be the reason why young Bobby would be okay with coming out now.

Shou-Lao The Bitch Dragon Iron Fist's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by randomengine View Post
    This is my problem with it, if younger Bobby is gay and it's confirmed. Then older Bobby needs to admit it too.

Otherwise Bendis is pushing the agenda that gay people aren't born that way or that you can change your sexuality, or more amusingly time travel makes you gay.

Get older Bobby to admit to being gay and then I will think this is a brilliant change of pace for Iceman and Marvel's LGBT representation.