Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast
    Amazing Member

Quote Originally Posted by wwise03 View Post
    Is the Dying and the Dead ending with issue 7? I did not know it was a mini.
    Wow! That's a shame. I've enjoyed it so far.

Island is too expensive for me to care.
    it's 112 pages, though. People pay $4 for 20, but $8 for 112 is too much?

Quote Originally Posted by Joker View Post
    I just hope they collect Island in hardcover format eventually.
    Epic things: "TOPANGA" (GHA), Jaxson & Zefferson (PRO), Lucas (SHEL)

Fantastic Member Mix_Masta_Micah's Avatar

YES! East of West HC! YES!

Looks like a killer month for Image!

WE STAND ON GUARD #1
    EAST OF WEST, THE APOCALYPSE: YEAR ONE HC - YES!! I have been hoping they would bring out a HC for so long. Hope they include The World Oneshot in the HC as well, would be nice to have it in a collected edition rather than a single floppy.
    EAST OF WEST #21
    INJECTION #3 - Depends on how the first two issues grab me.
    OUTCAST #11 - Maybe? Haven't been fully convinced about this series so far, past few issues have faced some serious pacing problems.
    SAGA #30
    SOUTHERN BASTARDS #10
    SEX CRIMINALS #12
    THE WICKED + THE DIVINE #12
    TREES #11
    VELVET #14
    TWD #144

Agreeing with TotalSnorefest that this month has some absolutely beautiful covers. Velvet cover really struck me. Although I did just flip through all my single issues of Saga and think this may be the best cover yet. The simplicity of it compared to previous covers makes it even more beautiful. These are the types of covers where Staples' brilliance really shines.

Really hoping that Vaughn and Staples still keep on top of their Saga game though, considering Vaughn will be juggling three(?) projects at Image and maybe a new one at Panel Syndicate by the end of 2015. Plus Staples might be feeling under pressure with the new Archie re-invention.

The Fade Out and Lazarus missing this month. Anyone know what's been happening to The Fade Out? Seems to have had some major gaps between issues lately.

"Comic Book Reviewer" InformationGeek's Avatar

New comic from Vaughn and Kot? BAH! Forget that crap. Bloodstrike all the way! Welcome back 90's! :P

15 bucks for Red One, which is only 80 pages? Image, stop copying Marvel's pricing policies.

THE DYING AND THE DEAD #7
    The best new book of the year reaches its amazing conclusion in “THIS IS WHY WE FIGHT.”
    Hahahahahahahaha. Oh wait, that was serious.

But in all joking and sarcasm aside, probably the usual books for me here I'll pick up. Not seeing anything really all that interesting with these new number ones outside of the Island. Honestly, I haven't really felt good about most of the new number ones Image has put out this year with some minor exceptions. Most of the new series have been middle of the road to forgettable.

A few concerns:

Is the Dying and the Dead ending with issue 7? I did not know it was a mini.

The Fade Out and Lazarus are both taking another month off so soon after returning from an extended break?

Still no Mercenary Sea?

Two months off in a row for They're Not Like Us? Is this going to become another Nowhere Men?

Island is too expensive for me to care. I do like the looks of We Stand on Guard and Wolf though.
    The first trade for They're Not Like Us is being released. May explain it.?

What are your thoughts on the series so far btw? Read the first issue and wasn't very impressed but considering the cheapness of the first trade I might give it a go.

Quote Originally Posted by InformationGeek View Post
    Most of the new series have been middle of the road to forgettable.
    Totally agree with your last sentence. Image has been strong with their continuing series' but most of the debuts have left me seriously underwhelmed.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Joker View Post
    First off, I don't pay $4 for 20 pages. If other people do, that is there business. All Image books I read are either $3 or $3.50 for 32 pages. I do pay $4 for Valiant books, but they contain 32 pages as well.

As for the books I do buy, I get to choose which ones I am paying for. With Island (and other anthology books), I may be stuck with stories that I don't care to read or from writers/artists I don't care for. With issue 1 in particular, I don't care to read an all text piece by DeConnick. I generally prefer comic books to novels.

I also don't get how issue 1 is 120 pages if it contains 3 20-to-30 page length stories (unless it contains 3 20-to-30 page stories in addition to the text piece by DeConnick.

Finally, I don't care for minis. I certainly wouldn't care for single issue stories. Admittedly, this is just my personal preference that has nothing to do with my concern over the cost of the book.

Quote Originally Posted by Mix_Masta_Micah View Post
    YES! East of West HC! YES!
    I have waited so damn long to see this on a solicit list.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by ysemaj View Post
    The first trade for They're Not Like Us is being released. May explain it.?

What are your thoughts on the series so far btw? Read the first issue and wasn't very impressed but considering the cheapness of the first trade I might give it a go.
    Ah good point on the trade being released. That does explain it.

Me and two friends have quite liked it. I understand a lot of people on these boards have not however (though it seems opinions have gotten more positive with each successive issue). I think the art is really fine and it has something of an X-Men style feel to it, albeit it with a potentially evil Professor Xavier. I intend to keep reading it for the foreseeable future.

Me and two friends have quite liked it. I understand a lot of people on these boards have not however (though it seems opinions have gotten more positive with each successive issue). I think the art is really fine and it has something of an X-Men style feel to it, albeit it with a potentially evil Professor Xavier. I intend to keep reading it for the foreseeable future.
    Ah cool. May just pick up the first trade then and see how I like it. 6 issues for $10 (or £7.50 over here in England) is why I think Image is so great. Really encourages you to buy a cheap trade for a series you may not have wanted to.

Astonishing Member Lady Warp Spasm's Avatar

Just Birthright 9

I wasn't sure about sticking with Rasputin, but I've decided I'll trade wait for a used copy of the second arc.
    archer * magician *soldier * spy

"Comic Book Reviewer" InformationGeek's Avatar

Here's the thing with me and They're Not Like Us. I thought the first issue was fine. Nothing too memorable, but okay. I hated #2 and #3, because it felt like we had nothing to work with. No real good characterization to almost anyone, the pretentious feeling that was reeking off the comic, most of the characters were forgettable and unlikable, and the story was barely there at all. However, the fourth issue felt like a good turn around to me, since it finally felt like we were getting some sort of characterization for these other characters and it looked like we finally had some kind of real interesting conflict. I can't say I'm too thrilled to read more since the 2 and 3 were terrible, I'm more optimist about continuing forward.

I won't make a final and full judgment call until the end of the first arc though, just in case something stupid happens.

First off, I don't pay $4 for 20 pages. If other people do, that is there business. All Image books I read are either $3 or $3.50 for 32 pages. I do pay $4 for Valiant books, but they contain 32 pages as well.

As for the books I do buy, I get to choose which ones I am paying for. With Island (and other anthology books), I may be stuck with stories that I don't care to read or from writers/artists I don't care for. With issue 1 in particular, I don't care to read an all text piece by DeConnick. I generally prefer comic books to novels.

I also don't get how issue 1 is 120 pages if it contains 3 20-to-30 page length stories (unless it contains 3 20-to-30 page stories in addition to the text piece by DeConnick.

Finally, I don't care for minis. I certainly wouldn't care for single issue stories. Admittedly, this is just my personal preference that has nothing to do with my concern over the cost of the book.
    Everything is advertised as a 32 page book. With Marvel/DC (I don't know about Valiant) they're including ad pages in that count. Obviously Image aren't as bad, but there are house ads.

And yes, it seems that Island contains several 20-30 page stories. Otherwise, it couldn't be a 112 page book. So, you say it costs too much, that's fine, but at least it's giving you a lot of story for the price. Like, 3 full issues worth of comics, for $8. But sure, maybe the content won't all be something you enjoy, and that's fine, but the cost gripe seems baseless considering what the book actually is.

Really sounds like your issue is with the potential content, not the cost, because they're fully backing up the cost with the amount of content.