Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by TotalSnorefest View Post
    Also debating whether or not to get the Supreme: Blue Rose trade. Reviews and opinions were all over the place last year.
    Art was fantastic; story was okay for me. Its Ellis so some series will be fantastic and others good but still better than most on the rack. I ended up dropping Trees as it was another "just okay" for me.

Quote Originally Posted by Noodle View Post
    since Fade Out's MIA (again).
    Quote Originally Posted by ysemaj View Post
    Anyone know what's been happening to The Fade Out? Seems to have had some major gaps between issues lately.
    Issue 8 will mark the end of Volume 2; Brubaker indicated it'd return in September with issue 9. With the delays by the team, I'm not expecting issue 8 until end of July at best.
    Last edited by comicfiend; 04-22-2015 at 06:56 PM.

I don't think collected volumes should dictate story length, but for a while most books were dropping to 5 issue arcs, now there's a couple doing 4 issue arcs. It's fine if the collections are priced accordingly. Have to wait and see how that shakes out, I guess.

Quote Originally Posted by Joker View Post
    I don't think collected volumes should dictate story length, but for a while most books were dropping to 5 issue arcs, now there's a couple doing 4 issue arcs. It's fine if the collections are priced accordingly. Have to wait and see how that shakes out, I guess.
    I think a volume with a 4 issue arc can be done ONLY if the price is at the Image introductory price of $9.99. I would not be prepared to pay the normal price for a book which only has 4 issues when some others trades collect 5 or even 6.

That's my point. "even 6" is a thing you say now. That used to be standard. People say they don't write for the trade, but they do. I noticed a lot of books switching to 5 issue arcs recently. Now I'm seeing 4 issue arcs.

It's hard to say, since Fade Out and Southern Bastards are only at their first trades, but I won't be buying $14.99 trades that only have four issues. My only exemption is Casanova, which runs a hefty page count over its four issues. I guess I also would need to count pages in the aforementioned series, too.

That's my point. "even 6" is a thing you say now. That used to be standard. People say they don't write for the trade, but they do. I noticed a lot of books switching to 5 issue arcs recently. Now I'm seeing 4 issue arcs.

It's hard to say, since Fade Out and Southern Bastards are only at their first trades, but I won't be buying $14.99 trades that only have four issues. My only exemption is Casanova, which runs a hefty page count over its four issues. I guess I also would need to count pages in the aforementioned series, too.
    I agree that 4 issues is too short for a trade, but you should be able to find the trade for much less than $14.99.
    Epic things: "TOPANGA" (GHA), Jaxson & Zefferson (PRO), Lucas (SHEL)

The listed retail price is the point, not where I could order it online for a discount.

Overall, kind of a small month for me.

I'm definitely getting Velvet #14
    The Crooked Man Hardcover

I'll give the following a shot:

We Stand on Guard #1
    Wolf #1
    My Top 5 Comic Books I am reading are:

1. Velvet
    2. Black Magick
    3. Kill or Be Killed
    4. Lazarus
    5. The Fix

The listed retail price is the point, not where I could order it online for a discount.
    Ok...you said "if they are priced accordingly" which, to me, does not mean retail price. No one pays retail anymore.

Fade Out is 40p per issue; first trade is 120p
    Most 5-issue trades are 128p; 6-issue trades are +144p

I thought Southern Bastards delivered such a killer introductory arc though, and it was at the cheaper price of $9.99/£7.50 I think? (I'm converting dollars into sterling). "Gridiron' is at the more expensive price of $14.99 but that does contain 5 issues so not too bothered about that.

I know it's GREAT to support your LCS at any opportunity but sometimes I do find it so hard to when they are selling a trade at £11.99/$14.99 and then Amazon decides to sell it £6 cheaper, and as a student that is so so attractive.

Quote Originally Posted by comicfiend View Post
    When you work it out like that it makes sense but then shouldn't one consider how much story progression you get out of a 6 issue trade compared to a 4 issue trade? Depending on the series I would rather it be 6 issues and more fast paced than a 4 issue arc which is relatively slow. Although, I think 'Here Was A Man' has to be one of the best first arcs I have ever read for a good few years and that was both fast paced, packed with character development and really was a story in its own.

If the story is good, I don't really care how long it is. I don't think issue number should dictate story length.

Hickman recently mentioned the idea of the issue being as long or short as that particular bit or story dictated. I like the idea of that.

Quote Originally Posted by comicfiend View Post
    Thanks!

Hickman recently mentioned the idea of the issue being as long or short as that particular bit or story dictated. I like the idea of that.
    Me too. It's something anime could never figure out either. Most series were either 13 or 26 episodes regardless of whether or not the story fit into that number of episodes. So, you'd frequently get "filler" episodes were nothing happened.

Quote Originally Posted by Dorktron View Post
    Me too. It's something anime could never figure out either. Most series were either 13 or 26 episodes regardless of whether or not the story fit into that number of episodes. So, you'd frequently get "filler" episodes were nothing happened.
    I think that still happens in American TV as well. Drama programmes that are 22/23 episodes per season contain a significant amount of episodes that are 'fluff' or filler.

How feasible is varying the issue length each issue? I'm all for it but would publishers allow such a random process to occur each month?