Super Moderator

Default Busiek Talks Starfighter's Retirement in "Astro City" #22

Kurt Busiek tells CBR his Starfighter story was originally intended for Carol Danvers in "Avengers" and says "Astro City's" end is "years away."

Full article here.

Astonishing Member FanboyStranger's Avatar

AC has always been a great book, but it's really been on a roll over the last year, regaining its status as the best superhero book on the stands. The Quarrel storyline was the best female-centric superhero comic I've read in years, and while I missed Brent Anderson on the Starfighter issue, Jesus Merino brought a real Al Williamson vibe to the story that I absolutely loved.

If Astro City ever has to end for good, definitively, no backsies, I'd personally want to see the last issue be another spotlight on Samaritan, just to bookend with the first issue.

BANNED

Just remember, folks....this is a book that's generally upbeat, without unnecessary darkness and angst (even The Dark Age ended on an upbeat note). Folks should put their money where their mouths are and support a brighter, more fun book.

Astro City is a consistently great book. It's really picked up steam lately. More people should be reading this book. It's one of the most accessible and consistently well written/drawn in the industry. The Quarrel story was great. I haven't read this issue yet, but I know I'm in for a treat when I do.

I find it kinda sad that we have all these threads for characters that can go for pages and pages, but an Astro City thread stalls out at five posts. In a just world, AC would be the highest selling superhero title on the stands.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by FanboyStranger View Post
    I find it kinda sad that we have all these threads for characters that can go for pages and pages, but an Astro City thread stalls out at five posts. In a just world, AC would be the highest selling superhero title on the stands.
    Yup. These are, at worst, solid well told stories that entertain, with a sense of fun. And at their best, they can have you bawling your eyes out or pumping your fist in triumph.

Why wouldn't you want to support a book like that?

Quote Originally Posted by gwangung View Post
    Yup. These are, at worst, solid well told stories that entertain, with a sense of fun. And at their best, they can have you bawling your eyes out or pumping your fist in triumph.

Why wouldn't you want to support a book like that?
    Well, y'know, no massive, game-changing universal implications that get reset every few years. Or Batman.

Quote Originally Posted by FanboyStranger View Post
    People love to complain but don't like to talk about things they like as much.
    BB

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Billy Batson View Post
    People love to complain but don't like to talk about things they like as much.
    Or buy, in my opinion.

Astro City is nominated for some Eisner's it looks like. Glad someone out there is recognizing the greatness of this book.

All-New Member

I hope Astro City wins some Eisners so it gets more exposure. More people should read it.

Well, AC has been a perennial Eisner nominee, so that's nothing new. I think part of the problem is that a lot of former readers don't realize it's coming out monthly these days. I told a few fans of the series that it's at Vertigo and running as a monthly in a forum at another site, and they were shocked. They hadn't read any AC since the The Dark Age and the specials that surrounded it.

All-New Member

Yeah we need to get the word out that Astro City is back and its better than ever. the latest issue 22 is a great jumping point for former readers to RTTP =D