Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
    All-New Member

Quote Originally Posted by TOXIC View Post
    One of the parts I dislike is how writers instantly and directly insert their own favorite superheroes into series.

Animal Man and Green Arrow were for Jeff Lemire as he wrote them, and now Jeff Parker seems to be gutting Lemire's team and putting his own favorites in. And then the next writer will gut Parker's team and put his own guys in.

I don't like this.
    This has been DC's modus operandi since day 1 of the New 52, and it's distracting and annoying. Justice League International and Justice League Dark both had substantial and wholly unnecessary cast shake-ups after their very first arcs, and Justice League of America became Justice League United and jettisoned a whole bunch of characters I was interested in. I am sure there were other books that I am not remembering that did the very same thing. It seems long gone are the days when teams were actually teams for many months, they grew and gelled together as a unit. Team books have always had cast members leave and new members introduced, but DC seems to think that the wholesale dismantling of a team to add characters that are their current flavor of the month is a good idea.

CBR got me like.. Maxpower00044's Avatar

Part of me wants to try this out again, because it will be my Swamp Thing and Animal Man fix (and Foreman will probably kill it on art), but if Lemire couldn't get me interested in this book, I don't think Parker can.
    Last edited by Maxpower00044; 04-22-2015 at 09:10 AM.
    "The more 'realistic' superheroes become the less believable they are." - David Mazzucchelli

Always Rakzo

I commented already in Twitter about this but this is a quite appropriate choice and replacement.

Extraordinary Member Zero Hunter's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Albert Ching View Post
    Hi all, DC Comics has reached out for clarification on the original version of our "Justice League United" article, which has since been edited.

The main lineup of the book is Equinox, Stargirl, Alanna Strange, Animal Man and Adam Strange. They'll be joined by rotating guest stars based on individual missions, with Mera, Poison Ivy, Swamp Thing and Etrigan appearing in issue #11.
    That kind of makes it worse. Get rid of the interesting big name characters (Martian Manhunter, Green Arrow, and Hawkman) and keep the leftovers that most people don't care about? That is almost a setting the book up for failure from the start no matter how many guest stars you run in and out of the book.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Zero Hunter View Post
    That kind of makes it worse. Get rid of the interesting big name characters (Martian Manhunter, Green Arrow, and Hawkman) and keep the leftovers that most people don't care about? That is almost a setting the book up for failure from the start no matter how many guest stars you run in and out of the book.
    Sounds like the usual back-and-forth swing we see with team books like this over time. The struggle over the fact that the writer of the team book can't do anything drastic with the bigger characters who have their own books too. So he changes the format just to characters who only appear in the team book, and then sales go down, so then they have to bring back the big names to bring the readers back. Then a new writer eventually comes on, rinse, repeat.

Relaunched, not rebooted! SJNeal's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Shinomune View Post
    Well, initially the artist were supposed to be Travel Foreman and Paul Pelletier. Maybe they will rotate every few issues/every arc.
    Really?! I'm all for tag-teaming art duties to keep a book timely, but such drastically different styles would be a big negative...
    SJNeal
    Veteran Member
    Aug 2009

The CBR Community STANDARDS & RULES

Extraordinary Member Zero Hunter's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by GlennSimpson View Post
    Sounds like the usual back-and-forth swing we see with team books like this over time. The struggle over the fact that the writer of the team book can't do anything drastic with the bigger characters who have their own books too. So he changes the format just to characters who only appear in the team book, and then sales go down, so then they have to bring back the big names to bring the readers back. Then a new writer eventually comes on, rinse, repeat.
    That is why I have always thought it is better to have a good mix of characters. You get 2 or 3 big names and the rest are there for the writer to use as they want. I think that is why I have never been a fan of the Big 7 approach tot he Justice League. Your right though that it is a sad pattern.

In the end it all comes down to the combination of characters used.

That's when the writer makes a core team that he can do things with and adds the bigger characters as supporting members.
    "There's magic in the sound of analog audio." - CNET.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Lee Stone View Post
    That's when the writer makes a core team that he can do things with and adds the bigger characters as supporting members.
    You would think, but it seems like writers either want to do mostly characterization or mostly plot, without the mix that would enable them to have both kinds of characters.

I mean, there's no reason not to have Animal Man and Stargirl having all the personal problems and then have Martian Manhunter show up when it's time to hit something and then leave again...

Extraordinary Member Dr. Poison's Avatar

I'd have to agree that's what seems to be going on. The big problem here is that Justice League United wasn't a colossal seller before Convergence and now, I fear it will be rebooted and/or relaunched within the next year with a lackluster line-up like this. Most of them aren't terrible characters but I don't see them bringing in massive sales anytime soon.
    Currently(or soon to be) Reading: Alan Scott: Green Lantern, Batman/Superman: World's Finest, Fire & Ice: Welcome to Smallville, Green Arrow, Green Lantern, Jay Garrick: The Flash, Justice Society of America, Power Girl, Superman, Shazam, Titans, Wesley Dodds: Sandman, Wonder Woman, & World's Finest: Teen Titans.

Quote Originally Posted by Psistorm4472 View Post
    This has been DC's modus operandi since day 1 of the New 52, and it's distracting and annoying. Justice League International and Justice League Dark both had substantial and wholly unnecessary cast shake-ups after their very first arcs, and Justice League of America became Justice League United and jettisoned a whole bunch of characters I was interested in. I am sure there were other books that I am not remembering that did the very same thing. It seems long gone are the days when teams were actually teams for many months, they grew and gelled together as a unit. Team books have always had cast members leave and new members introduced, but DC seems to think that the wholesale dismantling of a team to add characters that are their current flavor of the month is a good idea.
    This isn't a New 52 thing. This has been going on since the dawn of superhero team books.

Spectacular Member

This book has been a pretty big disapointment for me. I may have to check it out with this creative team though. However I'm afraid it will be just another justice league dark, where the creative team switches before you can get attached to the characters.

BANNED

On Twitter, someone asked if Supergirl is off the book and Jeff Parker responded "for now"

So this has me thinking: 1. Maybe the members are busy with another mission or something.

2. This will be the roster for one arc and then the regulars will return.

I really wish people will actually consider other alternatives before panicking.

Quote Originally Posted by Ninjak View Post

I really wish people will actually consider other alternatives before panicking.
    meh, posts would be rather boring if they were calm and rational..... kind of like this one.
    I have no beef with Vegans

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by upgrayedd View Post
    meh, posts would be rather boring if they were calm and rational..... kind of like this one.

You should work on your insults a little more. If you're going to do it, then do it right. Just some advice.

Oh and by the way, I was only using common sense. Something that is nonexistent on this thread.

Edit: And if you were being sarcastic, (I'm pretty sure you weren't) then I apologize.
    Last edited by Starchild; 04-22-2015 at 08:36 PM.