Page 18 of 18 FirstFirst ... 81415161718

Quote Originally Posted by Marvel/DC Fan View Post
    I get a kick out of how people argue that Iceman has always been a repressed gay male. He was clearly straight up until Bendis wrote that story. But hey it is comics and they can change things however they want. If they really wanted to do something like say, make Hulk and Wolverine a married couple they could do it. It is pretty funny to me anyways, when people throw a hissy fit over the sexuality of their funnybook characters.
    Do you mean a wedding between Amadeus Cho and X-23 ?.

Secretly in the Shadows Starleafgirl's Avatar

I get a kick out of how people argue that Iceman has always been a repressed gay male. He was clearly straight up until Bendis wrote that story. But hey it is comics and they can change things however they want. If they really wanted to do something like say, make Hulk and Wolverine a married couple they could do it. It is pretty funny to me anyways, when people throw a hissy fit over the sexuality of their funnybook characters.
    Iceman was always gay.

Quote Originally Posted by dragonmp93 View Post
    Do you mean a wedding between Amadeus Cho and X-23 ?.
    I'd be up for it!
    Prεtty Pεnny
    I have no speech. No name. I live in the action of death. The blood-cry, the penetrating wound. I am destruction.... http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v7.../penance-1.jpg
    <----------------------------------->

Keep the snark to a minimum. ~ The CBR Community Behavior Rules

"What? I can't promise that!" ~ Starleafgirl

Original Join Date: 10-31-2007

Spectacular Member

I guess OMIT isn't really separate from OMD, but if it were, that would be the worst retcon I've ever actually read. I can't say I thought OMD was terribly written, even if it was a terrible idea. OMIT... I don't know his track record as a writer, but if that's indicative of his work then let that be the last attempt.

Shou-Lao The Bitch Dragon Iron Fist's Avatar

He was also sexually ambiguous, almost every telepath made reference to it.

Just because it's now been confirmed doesn't mean it wasn't always hinted at for like the past 30 years.

And people arguing he isn't gay and was never gay, probably never even paid attention to the hints in the first place that's why it so out of left field for them.

Quote Originally Posted by Storm View Post
    But being gay is genetic so they're both gay, I think they rationalised it as current Bobby grew up in very hostile times against gay people and mutants so he suppressed being gay to avoid twice the disenfranchisement and teen Bobby who was still undecided but closeted appeared in our more tolerant time period and thus is fine owning being gay and being a mutant.

It's quite a nice story, but the problem is that it doesn't seem like any writer is going to do f all with it, so we're only going to get Bendis's rather poor execution of it.
    I loved Bendis' work on Iceman's coming out. It was well researched, thoughtful, gentle, kind. LOVED IT! And Lemire has confirmed adult Bobby is gay and it will be explored in the comic Extraordinary X-men (which looks GORGEOUS!). Pretty sure the All New X-men writer said 05 Bobby's sexuality isn't a story ending with Bendis either, but will be in his comic too. So yey. Marvel is many things, but foolish enough to NOT out adult Bobby... no, even they wouldn't stoop so low.

Quote Originally Posted by Kuwagaton View Post
    If it's now an alternate Bobby, that itself is a retcon from what Bendis established. If it's still the exact same guy, as established, then that is a little weird. That would mean the past he's from is around 2002, and being out wasn't especially more dangerous than it is in the present.

It would also mean that both versions have to be gay, or else his sexuality is a result of time travel.
    Both versions are gay, and I personally don't mind Bendis' story ignoring the sliding timescale. He knew Secret Wars was coming, and all time/alternate worlds was about to end, so the "damage"/contradictions would be short lives. Plus it's Bendis, he was never going to adhere to rules.

Quote Originally Posted by Carabas View Post
    Are you very sure about that?
    Because being gay in 2002 America or 2015 America, that seems like a collosal difference to me.
    THIS!!! Queer As Folk came out in 1999 on UK television, at 11pm at night (well past the watershed); and the papers reacted like the world of TV was ending. 2002 was before I graduated highschool, and it was certainly not an LGBT paradise. It wasn't anywhere as bad as 1960, obviously; but in just 15 years we have come so, SO far. Let's not erase those hard fort battles, and pretend it wasn't as bad as it was; because it's not true.

Quote Originally Posted by The Fury View Post
    [COLOR="#4B0082"]Okay, so this has turned into the same debate we've been having time and time again. Look, just because someone doesn't like the retcon that Iceman, who has never been gay in any work of Marvel (non-fan) fiction until very recently (and only the young one), doesn't mean it's not a retcon. Retcon in it's very definition is a change is established fact of historical continuity.

Iceman was never gay, now is. So a retcon. Stop trying to turn this into a battle. Let people be angry at it.

By saying it is not a retcon and just hidden facts means EVERY retcon in this thread is not a retcon. So there is no such thing and therefore no point in this thread.
    I trust the irony of your post is not lost on you?
    Last edited by Kieran_Frost; 09-20-2015 at 04:43 AM.
    "We are Shakespeare. We are Michelangelo. We are Tchaikovsky. We are Turing. We are Mercury. We are Wilde. We are Lincoln, Lorca, Leonardo da Vinci. We are Alexander the Great. We are Fredrick the Great. We are Rustin. We are Addams. We are Marsha! Marsha Marsha Marsha! We so generous, we DeGeneres. We are Ziggy Stardust hooked to the silver screen. Controversially we are Malcolm X. We are Plato. We are Aristotle. We are RuPaul, god dammit! And yes, we are Woolf."

Repressed gay people date women, it's kinda part of being repressed.

Both versions are gay.
    This! Elton John was married to a woman; Oscar Wilde had kids... guess he must be bi, it's the only explanation

Quote Originally Posted by Mutant God View Post
    Nope neither are gay
    Comic canon and the reality of how sexuality works would disagree with you

He was also sexually ambiguous, almost every telepath made reference to it.
    Just because it's now been confirmed doesn't mean it wasn't always hinted at for like the past 30 years.
    And people arguing he isn't gay and was never gay, probably never even paid attention to the hints in the first place that's why it so out of left field for them.
    You are on FIRE today! Love your posts.
    Last edited by Kieran_Frost; 09-20-2015 at 04:48 AM.
    "We are Shakespeare. We are Michelangelo. We are Tchaikovsky. We are Turing. We are Mercury. We are Wilde. We are Lincoln, Lorca, Leonardo da Vinci. We are Alexander the Great. We are Fredrick the Great. We are Rustin. We are Addams. We are Marsha! Marsha Marsha Marsha! We so generous, we DeGeneres. We are Ziggy Stardust hooked to the silver screen. Controversially we are Malcolm X. We are Plato. We are Aristotle. We are RuPaul, god dammit! And yes, we are Woolf."

Boisterously Confused

Quote Originally Posted by Star_Jammer View Post
    Blatantly ignoring aspects about a character just to fit your "new narrative" is not craftsmanship.
    we see perfectly eye-to-eye on that one