Page 5 of 18 FirstFirst 12345678915 ... LastLast

Do the reasons behind a retcon actually make the retcon worse? Or is it the retcon that really matters?
    (i.E. Black Fury JR to make it closer to the movieverse. Pietro and Wanda we're not mutants nor Magnetos anymore, so marvel has our movie rights. Ice-Gay-Man to promote diversity or to pander a particular readership - you choose which. Wanda doesn't remember her children and is nuts because the writer is too lazy to actually come up with a trigger to fit his story that actuallt fits with past Marvel writer's stories. Etc...)

Peace

The entire planet Zenn-La is an illusion. All Zenn-Lavians are dead. Shalla Bal is just an illusion. Silver Surfer has no home or love interest.

Extraordinary Member

Tom Brevoort has said he thinks the retcon that Mary Jane always knew Peter was Spider-Man is the worst retcon. (It was introduced by Gerry Conway in the graphic novel Parallel Lives.) I actually sort of like it, but it was right up there on many people's worst Spidey retcon list until Sins Past.

One retcon I found silly was the attempt in The Crossing to retcon it so Kang the Conqueror was responsible for all Hank Pym's breakdowns. Using mind control to wipe out one story is fine with me; using it to wipe a character's whole history of breakdowns and questionable behavior is really pushing it. That's probably why Avengers Forever retconned the retcon, saying that this was a lie and it wasn't even Kang saying it.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by The Sword is Drawn View Post
    Has this actually stuck? Because it's utterly nonsensical and messed up if it has.
    Yup aren't you reading Uncanny avengers?

Quote Originally Posted by Kizaru View Post
    Scarlet Witch and QS not being Magneto kids or mutants, because MCU.
    That about sums it up for me.

Sins Past makes me want to vomit.
    Messiah Complex or how to ruin Bishop and make him irredeemable to many. Worst character assassination in history next to....
    Avengers Dissembled. Hey, let's make Wanda go crazy!
    Wolverine being from a race of cat/dog people. Yeah.

Incredible Member

There have been to many awful retcons to list...the only retcon I remember liking was reestablishing Polaris as Magneto's daughter. Also I have a particular partiality against the recent retcon of Pietro and Wanda's origins.

BANNED

Sins Past takes the number 1 slot.
    Followed by gay Iceman
    and ORIGINAL Fury going insane.

Avengers Disassembled and Original Sin were pretty egregious.

Member Since Jun 2009 thecrimson's Avatar

I'm starting to think of ongoing comics from Marvel (and DC) as a very long highway that has potholes. Marvel attempts to fill in these potholes with retcons, but it just makes the road patchwork. It's just the nature of the ongoing comic.

BANNED

First retcon I really disliked was when Thor was revealed never to have been the real Don Blake, the real one being stuck in a cave by Odin for years while Thor took his identity.

One More Day.

Quote Originally Posted by The Sword is Drawn View Post
    Add in Nightcrawler: The Draco to that.

'I am the Devil, and I am your father. And I'm not actually a devil, I'm a mutant. I cannot leave the boundaries of my domain, so years ago I teleported to Earth to impregnate women who would birth children able to free me from my domain!'

'So if you couldn't LEAVE, how did you do that, Dad?'

'Um.... well... ****'.

They should have stuck with Mystique being his dad, and Destiny his Mom.
    Azazel is a mutant who thinks hes a demon because like Kurt he was called that all his life. Azazel and the other Neyaphems were trapped in another dimension but because of his teleportation abilites Azazel can teleport back to Earth but its weakens him so he can only be on Earth for a limited amount of time.

Anyway all of the retcons have already been said so far.

Quote Originally Posted by Mutant God View Post
    Azazel is a mutant who thinks hes a demon because like Kurt he was called that all his life. Azazel and the other Neyaphems were trapped in another dimension but because of his teleportation abilites Azazel can teleport back to Earth but its weakens him so he can only be on Earth for a limited amount of time.

Anyway all of the retcons have already been said so far.
    yeah the darco really isn't that bad of a story is not great either I personally would prefer if mystique and destiny or mystique and John wrath were nightcrawlers parents.. the problem they really presented itself with the story was Writers, fans and editors didn't pay attention to the details that you just listed above and and to add that he wastrying to teleport a whole army and not just himself out of that dimension.. .the Darko wouldn't even make my top 30 recons, mostly because it was literally just there until years later when writers and editors who didn't read the original story start adding extra nonsense to it..

I actually like Azazel better because I just think the Mystique and Destiny thing was a little bit creepy for me. I would say it would work if they managed to do away with all the bad elements and actually try to find a way to fit in into the original story.