View Poll Results: Who would be the biggest ally?

Voters
32. You may not vote on this poll
  • Captain america

5 15.63%
  • Iron man

0 0%
  • Thor

0 0%
  • Captain marvel

4 12.50%
  • Scarlet witch

3 9.38%
  • She hulk

4 12.50%
  • Black panther

1 3.13%
  • Black widow

1 3.13%
  • Spider-woman

0 0%
  • Hawkeye

1 3.13%
  • Hulk

1 3.13%
  • Spider-man

2 6.25%
  • Someone else

4 12.50%
  • All of the equally

4 12.50%
  • None of them

2 6.25%
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    BANNED

Wanda. Her son is gay

Carol Danvers and Jessica Drew for sure.

Extraordinary Member

It's Captain America, I think. It's not just that he has a gay friend, Arnie Roth, and defended his relationship as being good as anyone's. It's that as the Marvel Universe's leading representative of the Greatest Generation, a man all generations look up to and respect, his support means a lot.

When Arnie appeared in the '80s, it was ahead of its time, but especially meaningful because he was Steve Rogers' friend, and Steve's lack of prejudice and support of equality (not just legal but moral equality) meant more than it would coming from any other character. When Cap something, people listen.

Fantastic Member Chainsaw Vigilante's Avatar

She-Hulk, she's a damn lawyer.

Astonishing Member MasterOfMagnetism's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by gurkle View Post
    It's Captain America, I think. It's not just that he has a gay friend, Arnie Roth, and defended his relationship as being good as anyone's. It's that as the Marvel Universe's leading representative of the Greatest Generation, a man all generations look up to and respect, his support means a lot.

When Arnie appeared in the '80s, it was ahead of its time, but especially meaningful because he was Steve Rogers' friend, and Steve's lack of prejudice and support of equality (not just legal but moral equality) meant more than it would coming from any other character. When Cap something, people listen.

Yeah Cap is a great LGBT ally, which is kinda ironic because out of all of the Avengers I'd be willing to bet that Cap has the most fans who are homophobic.

Who cares?

That's all this forum is anymore. Social justice warriors drowning every page with whiney topics trying to show how "progressive" they are.

They're comic books.

Extraordinary Member t hedge coke's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Andy View Post
    Who cares?

That's all this forum is anymore. Social justice warriors drowning every page with whiney topics trying to show how "progressive" they are.

They're comic books.
    So angry.

Comic book superheroes aren't champions of... justice? In society?
    Patsy Walker on TV! Patsy Walker in new comics! Patsy Walker in your brain! And Jessica Jones is the new Nancy! (Oh, and read the Comics Cube.)

Astonishing Member The_Greatest_Username's Avatar

I'd say Wasp is the most likely candidate. I'm not sure why she was left out of the poll in favor of Hulk who was featured in one of the most homophobic comics published by Marvel.

Who cares?

They're comic books.
    You can talk about other things if you wanted to.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Kieran_Frost View Post
    THIS!!! I voted for Captain Marvel; she's the best ally to the X-men (who have the most LGBT representation at Marvel). I'd say She-Hulk and probably Hawkeye would be (of that list) the best allies.
    Yeah, those were the three who came immediately to mind as well--Jan, Jen and Clint. Now, Clint as he was written back in the early days of the Avengers may have been a very different story...but I can't see modern Clint being anything but gay friendly.

And, of course, there are Avengers who have a history of gay-friendly attitudes, etc. As many have already mentioned, Wanda (and Vision) have a gay son. One of Captain America's best friends (Arnie Roth) was gay, and Steve completely accepted him and his partner. She-Hulk has referenced having gay and bisexual friends. Mockingbird seemed somewhat close with her gay data analyst, Twitchy. Wonder Man had at least one gay friend during his time in Hollywood (Attractive Lad, from his supporting cast). Spectrum has spoken out against homophobia, and quoted a favourite lesbian poet of hers, in her 2nd one-shot (as CAPTAIN MARVEL). Etc.

Avengers who might have a problem, on the other hand? Not many, really. USAgent is the most obvious candidate, given some of his stated views on other issues. I could certainly see him having some discomfort about it, even if it was just the "I don't get it. But its none of my business, as long as you keep it out of my face" sort.

Quicksilver has had some bigoted attitudes before (such as his reactions to Wanda dating Vision), but he's matured a lot since then. I'd say he possibly might have been homophobic when he was younger, but has broadened his mind since then.

Swordsman, maybe? But the original is dead, and the 2nd has left our universe with Magdalene, so its not likely to ever be an issue with either of them now.

Two-Gun Kid, possibly, due to the whole man-out-of-time thing with him. On the other hand, he seemed pretty broad minded about the idea of a woman having a relationship with a square-headed android with no face...

Firebird? Some might argue she is likely to be due to her strong religious faith...but, honestly, I can't see Bonita judging anyone in that way. She firmly embraces the "love your fellow man" aspect of her faith, and would be more likely to support a gay teammate than condemn them.

Sandman? Maybe...

Venom/Flash Thompson was homophobic when he was younger, but grew out of it and later apologized to a classmate he bullied for being gay.

Fantastic Member Chainsaw Vigilante's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by t hedge coke View Post
    So angry.

I think he/she is referring to a movement that is not about an even-handed distribution of justice and representation, but forced representation of others above the rest due to their gender/mental/racial/ethic/handicap status. The movement bases this representation on a matter of how privileged one is at birth or growing up according to these surface stats instead of looking deeper at all people as individuals and seeing people represented equally regardless of who they are and seeing groups of people represented in the media at equal ratios/percentages as they exist in reality barring stories that focus on certain groups of peoples. Hence there is a push for lgbt types despite pools like the 2010 U.S. census placing such a grouping at just over 1% of the population. Unfortunately Asians and Hispanics and various underrepresented European and Caucasoid ancestries usually just placed under a broad (and one could say bigoted) white umbrella get pushed aside, and when they are represented it's usually comes at the expense of a publicity stunt like Silk while ignoring the scores of pre-existing Asian characters (likewise Falcon fans should be and are a bit miffed at making Falcon a publicity stunt when he's been Captain America before and has been a long time Cap character with his own identity).

Quote Originally Posted by Dermie View Post
    Yeah, those were the three who came immediately to mind as well--Jan, Jen and Clint. Now, Clint as he was written back in the early days of the Avengers may have been a very different story...but I can't see modern Clint being anything but gay friendly.

And, of course, there are Avengers who have a history of gay-friendly attitudes, etc. As many have already mentioned, Wanda (and Vision) have a gay son. One of Captain America's best friends (Arnie Roth) was gay, and Steve completely accepted him and his partner. She-Hulk has referenced having gay and bisexual friends. Mockingbird seemed somewhat close with her gay data analyst, Twitchy. Wonder Man had at least one gay friend during his time in Hollywood (Attractive Lad, from his supporting cast). Spectrum has spoken out against homophobia, and quoted a favourite lesbian poet of hers, in her 2nd one-shot (as CAPTAIN MARVEL). Etc.
    Hmmmm... I don't agree with Cap being an ally. Having a gay friend doesn't make you an ally, by default. Cap is one of the figure heads of the Avengers, he's lead many teams; none of the Avengers ever felt comfortable coming out while on the team, and only in 2015 did we get an LGBT Avenger (not on Cap's watch). I'm not saying that's all Cap's fault, but has he actively tried to support heroes coming out or made it clear he's okay with it? (then again, neither has Wasp). Ultimately being an ally is more than just having a gay friend (people with gay friends can still say REALLY un-ally things; the same way having a black friend doesn't make you immune from saying something racist).

I also disagree with all these "Wanda's an ally, her kid's gay". And? Many people in the world wished that instantly meant your parents was an ally. Again, being an ally is more than just not being a homophobe. I'd say, at the very least, decimating the most openly supportive LGBT area of Marvel (i.e. the mutants) 'balances out' any "instant wins" she gets from having a gay kid.

I agree with your assessment of Clint (old and new). She's not an Avenger, but I'd say Songbird would be a FAB ally! And (oddly) Moonstone. So yeah, for my money: Wasp, then Carol Danvers, then She-Hulk, then tied between Mockingbird and Hawkeye (awwww).

Who cares?
    I do; and so do you (you care enough to post in the thread... someone who doesn't care, wouldn't post).

Quote Originally Posted by MasterOfMagnetism View Post
    Yeah Cap is a great LGBT ally, which is kinda ironic because out of all of the Avengers I'd be willing to bet that Cap has the most fans who are homophobic.
    Also ironic, Cap's the one character many want to believe and convince themselves and others as being oppressive, as well as constantly falsely associating him with big brother ideals.

I'd say Cap would be the biggest and most influential supporter of LGBT rights, seeing how other than Wanda he's actually been depicted as such. And y'know, the whole American Dream thing he believes in.
    Currently Reading: DC: Shazam /// MARVEL: Daredevil, Invaders, Winter Soldier /// IMAGE: Seven to Eternity /// TITAN: Bloodborne

Upcoming Reading:

Trade Waiting: IMAGE: East of West, Black Road, The Black Monday Murders /// DARK HORSE: Hellboy, Witcher

this is totally out of control

its just spam at this point... i remember when we used to talk about comic books here

edit: im fully prepared to accept the insults of bigot, misogynist, racist, homophobic.... because thats the game isnt it?

Quote Originally Posted by MasterOfMagnetism View Post

oh hypocrisy... how i love thy sweet nectur
    Last edited by FriendRoss; 04-23-2015 at 06:16 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Captain M View Post
    Seriously? It's Janet for sure.
    Oh yeah, she's a good one!

Quote Originally Posted by Confuzzled View Post
    Yeah this. No question. How is she not even in the poll?
    I forgot plus I couldn't include everyone

Quote Originally Posted by MajorHoy View Post
    Giant-Man or Stature
    Ew. Stature maybe.

Quote Originally Posted by t hedge coke View Post
    So angry.

+1 well said

Quote Originally Posted by FriendRoss View Post
    this is totally out of control

its just spam at this point... i remember when we used to talk about comic books here

edit: im fully prepared to accept the insults of bigot, misogynist, racist, homophobic.... because thats the game isnt it?

oh hypocrisy... how i love thy sweet nectur
    We're still talking about comic books. And so are you since you came in this thread

no.. we are talking about gender/sexuality through the lens of fictional characters